Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saipan (!)
Mad Max is offline
Re: Manual transmission
Did you try the transmission before you installed it?
You know it was good before you bought it?
I had a T5 I bought at the Upull, and it turned out to have a pooched second gear synchro.
It grinds every time unless you double clutch or shift super slow.
Sounds like you have a bombed 4th gear synchro....
Where does the clutch engage? at the bottom of the pedal travel or in the middle?
If it engages in the middle of the pedal travel, it's most likely a bombed synchro.
I would also change the tranny juice and substitute Pennzoil Syncromesh fluid for ATF.
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck)
3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
7) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.