Finding TDC and checking rockers - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-10-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Finding TDC and checking rockers

I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma 2.2L 5 spd. I have the valve cover off and wanted to know the proper way to set each cylinder to check rockers for proper adjustment. From what I can see, there are no defects (broken springs, bent push rods, loose rocker arms). Any pictures, videos, etc. would help a great deal and make it easier to understand. Thanks!

** I have a slight "ticking" noise, that's why I'm asking. I've had the truck for 10 years and as far as I know nothing has been done to the motor (268k)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM
the new guy

Re: Finding TDC and checking rockers

ruh roh. are we supposed to adjust valves on these? I haven't done mine, nor did I know to. I thought that newer engines had hydraulic rockers so you didn't have to do that stuff anymore.

the joys of living on the ocean. sun, ocean breezes, non-stop rust
post #3 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 01:25 PM

The tutus all had hydraulic roller rockers. There is no lash adjustment at the rocker arms.

How slight is the noise and how long does the noise persist? If it's only at start up and goes away after it's been running a minute or two, it's either piston slap (harmless and nearly impossible to fix), or it's an exhaust leak that seals up when the thing warms up and the parts expand.

An exhaust leak is usually much louder ticking, and can be located by spraying water around the exhaust manifold and exhaust side of the head and looking where it blows out or blows dry the quickest when you start it.

Every machine is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

The ticking is constant, no matter the engine temp. I'll look over my exhaust manifold and try the method you suggested.

I do have a question on the valve cover. the bracket on the back left (looking from front of engine), does the 10mm bolt on the back side need to be installed since there are already two larger bolts holding the bracket down on the top side of the cover? It's a biotch to remove and I'm sure worse to install it. I still have the heater hoses connected and the smog hose crossing over from the exhaust manifold.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 05:06 PM
Xtreme 2.2

If it's not an exhaust leak it could be timing chain tensioner. You could try some Mystery Marvel oil to see if it's dirty lifters.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 PM
B4U Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painlesstom View Post
If it's not an exhaust leak it could be timing chain tensioner. You could try some Mystery Marvel oil to see if it's dirty lifters.
Posting For Sale items outside of the Flea Market, or before you have the met the requirements for using the Flea Market, will make your day a little miserable...please don't do that.

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #7 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Marvel Mystery Oil might help, probably won't hurt. I know people who have used it in the past as a "flush" before an oil change, with mixed results, but nothing horribly bad has happened. It does sometimes "fix" clicking/sticking lifters. There's nothing particularly harmful in that product, according to the SDS at http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/sds/ if you use it as a "5 minute flush" before an oil change. It can dissolve some sludge/gunk and get it to flow out with the used oil.

I also like Motor Medic "Motor Flush" https://www.motormedic.com/motorflush as a flush before an oil change. Again, it can clear some sludge and gunk out of an engine, and it can stop ticking lifters (sometimes). there's nothing in the SDS https://www.myniteo.com/Catalog/MSDS...e=SDS_US_GHS_E that would be harmful or bad for your engine when used as directed.

Either of those products can also clean "sludge" and "gunk" out of old cracked seals and expose existing leaks, so be careful and evaluate your risks and potential benefits. A horribly leaking rear main seal isn't "better than" a stuck/noisy lifter.

Note that other products that are sometimes used for this contain alcohols (methanol and isopropanol are common) and are not recommended to put in your engine at all. Those products can actually damage things. Stay away from anything that contains alcohol of any kind, or anything with "snake oil"<<<<<<<<<<< err, "proprietary hydrocarbon blends." Check the SDS for anything you pour in your crankcase or fuel tank, and if you're not sure it's harmless, don't pour it in.

Every machine is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 06:47 PM
B4U Task Force

Go ahead....say it...Seafoam=snake oil...lol

Apple Red 96 SS
post #9 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Think i found the ticking issue. The last (closest to firewall) exhaust manifold bolt is missing. Not sure if it broke off or vibrated/fell out but using a mirror and light, I can see what looks like a broken bolt (bright / shiny) about half way in the threaded hole. I don't plan to remove the manifold but wanted to know what size the bolt/thread is so I can install a bolt in place of the stud and make it work.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 PM
Xtreme 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit View Post
Posting For Sale items outside of the Flea Market, or before you have the met the requirements for using the Flea Market, will make your day a little miserable...please don't do that.
Ahhh.. One of those forums.. Ok. Was just trying to be helpful, had a spare and then saw this thread. I'm not a seller, supplier, distributor etc... Whatever. Your rules.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 12:17 AM
B4U Task Force

Quote:
Ahhh.. One of those forums.. Ok. Was just trying to be helpful, had a spare and then saw this thread. I'm not a seller, supplier, distributor etc... Whatever. Your rules.
Why yes...yes it is.

Apple Red 96 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page