2.2 performance build options - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

2.2 performance build options

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted anything since my s10 project has ran into a bunch of snags and I've been putting it to the side for a while. I've started designing another project however that uses the drive train out of my '97 s10 with a 2.2 and a 5 speed. The project I'm speaking of is a street legal buggy of sorts. I'm not against putting a mostly stock engine in it with just a few bolt ons, but I want to get opinions on what's out there. Obviously it's a budget build (just like all the others out there lol) so please keep that in mind. It is definitely going to get a header, intake, probably a custom fabricated intake plenum, and possibly a polished/shaved head. I'm wondering if there are any cheaper cams out there since I'm not finding any with my google searches. Also, what are y'all's thoughts on the cheaper eBay turbo kits ($500 or so)? Thanks in advance!

P.S. using another engine is not an option so don't even say it lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2019, 10:21 PM
time to get cereal

Re: 2.2 performance build options

Only cams I know of are on chevycavalierworld.com

You're not going to get much performance out of a 2.2L on a budget. Massive weight loss maybe. 4.56 gears if you're not going to be cruising on the highway.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
Only cams I know of are on chevycavalierworld.com

You're not going to get much performance out of a 2.2L on a budget. Massive weight loss maybe. 4.56 gears if you're not going to be cruising on the highway.
Ok thanks, I looked there briefly, but didn't come up with any good results, but I'll look a bit harder. I'm aware that it's not going to be a monster as far as hp goes, but the buggy isn't going to weigh very much at all so it should do ok. As for gears, I dont even know whats in it tbh, I'll check all that once I get a bit further into the project and if it needs changing, I might try to find room in my budget for a set of lower gears with a posi. I'm hopefully going to get my engine back on a stand in the next day or two so I can start working on getting it cleaned up, painted, and built.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 PM
time to get cereal

You may have to call them, they're website is usually a little out of date. Stock would either be 3.73 or 4.10, open diff.

WANTED: 98+ radio delete panel.
Looking for a 94-95 2.2L 5-speed Extended cab, preferably white.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2019, 12:32 AM
Boozebag

It's unfortunate that you are locked into a 2.2. The aftermarket is very weak for performance parts for that particular engine.
When you do find any performance parts, they are generally 30% to 160% more expensive than a comparable 4 cylinder.
Even the weezer Iron Duke (Pontiac 2.5) has many performance parts available, as well as having parts interchangeable with GM engines.

Post some pix of this gem if you can. It's always interesting to see stuff like that.

S10 addiction:
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck)
3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
7) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-27-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
It's unfortunate that you are locked into a 2.2. The aftermarket is very weak for performance parts for that particular engine.
When you do find any performance parts, they are generally 30% to 160% more expensive than a comparable 4 cylinder.
Even the weezer Iron Duke (Pontiac 2.5) has many performance parts available, as well as having parts interchangeable with GM engines.

Post some pix of this gem if you can. It's always interesting to see stuff like that.
I'm only locked into it because it's what I have and I for one, I don't want to pay for anything else, and two, I don't want to track down something better. I'm aware the aftermarket is weak, but that's why I was hoping y'all could help with that lol. I haven't started building this thing yet, but when I do, I will post some pics for sure. It's going to be pipe frame built similar to a sand rail, but with more modern styling, independent front suspension, the s10 axle in the rear with a 4 link, it will be two seater and should be street legal. I haven't gotten into any "fine" details yet, but I'd like to think I have it very well planned out in my head lol. I have a dream to be able to travel the country one day so I'm also going to try to make it small enough to either be easily towed or even better, be able to fit in a toy hauler camper so I can take it with me on trips and leave my truck hooked to the trailer all the time, but as I said, it's nothing but a dream lol. Thanks for the help y'all.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-06-2019, 01:12 AM

Turbo it. Get an Ebay turbo kit. Just be ready to have the manifold rewelded and possibly have support brackets added. I know the Ebay kits for Neon are notorious for breaking the welds. Also be prepared to replace the Chinese turbo with a real turbo. Used turbos can be had for decent prices and rebuilt if needed.

Cost wise you would be better off with a real turbo kit but the Ebay junk may work for a little while.

The 2.2 can be built up but the cost to do it puts you into the same price range as a wrx engine or ls engine if you go all out on the 2.2.

In Arizona a lot of guys use wrx engines in their sand rails. Lots of power and aftermarket support. You can build that buggy to run the street on it's back tires with a rear/mid engine configuration and wrx engine.

Then again if you can get the 2.2 to about 100-150 hp and the buggy is light enough it will be fairly quick. Dont need a lot of power if the buggy is under 1000 pounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page