Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saipan (!)
Mad Max is offline
Re: 4x4 transmissions to mate to 2.5l 4 cylinder ?
You will need a 4x4 transmission. They don't have a tail shaft housing and bolt directly to the Xfer case.
I think that you can convert a 2x4 to 4x4 by disassembling the tranny and retro fitting the output shaft. Don't quote me though.
MBP is correct. The 2.5 and 2.8 interchange.
BUT.... if you think a 4x4 (5) speed is rare, try finding a 2.5 (5) speed 4x4. There are a few members who have them, but they are about as common as a white deer.
Good luck finding one used. RARE!
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck)
3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
7) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.