1985 Chevorlet S10 V8 Swap - S-10 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rhotpursuit

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-21-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

1985 Chevorlet S10 V8 Swap

So I'm pretty new here but please bear with me. I'm a high school student with a job that is about to start the process of swapping my truck. (I threw a rod in the 2.8.) We're going to look at an engine very soon. I just have a couple of questions I haven't been able to figure out. So fuel, whats the most popular solution? Keep it stock? Switch to mechanical for the 350 SBC? I'm honestly totally lost, I haven't done a lot of research on fuel in general. Any other thing I should be concerned about? This is my first swap and I am willing to do a lot to get my grandfathers truck running. Any help is appreciated! Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 01:13 AM

Re: 1985 Chevorlet S10 V8 Swap

My advice would be to get a copy of Mike Knell's book from JTR. It is presently outdated information, but was written back when your era truck and swap were quite common. Most of us old timers read it before doing our first swaps in the late 80's to early 90's. He is a big fan of old Camaro exhaust manifolds and his offset mounts. I prefer AA 2.8 to SBC mounts (a bit pricey) and swap headers designed to go around the steering shaft. Don't have to offset the engine towards the passenger side.
Then read everything on here in the V8 section of the forum. You can also read a lot on V8S10.org. The more you read the more you will understand what you are getting into and the different way each step can be done. With your experience and budget ignore the idea of doing an LS engine. They're both more difficult and pricey. One problem you will have is finding a decent early SBC that puts out reasonable power.
All the smog era truck engines are boat anchors and a lot of built engines aren't very streetable. Something similar to a ZZ3or4 would be a great find for a driver that's fun. A 96-98 Vortec 350 swapped to a carb and HEI distributor is nearly the same thing, but better heads. Just be careful to get a distributor compatible with a roller camshaft. I have one in a 50 Chevy coupe with a Quadrajet carb off a motorhome. Very driveable.

On an 85 I'd use the 350 mechanical fuel pump and modify the intank pump by removing it and replacing the pump with a section of fuel line hose. Simply cap the return line. I did that on my first swap w/o any ill effects. IIRC that truck was an 87.
One thing we used back then that will be hard to come by today is a pre 68 short water pump (aftermarket has them), but what is nearly impossible to find are the short, crank pulley, alternator, and PS brackets need to use the short pump. You'll likely have to recess your rad a bit instead. Be careful juggling water pumps around. If you run a V belt you have to use a clockwise rotation pump, if you go serpentine you need a reverse rotation (not reverse flow) water pump.
You don't say which trans your 2.8 had. Whether it was stick or auto doesn't really matter. Neither will hold up and the auto won't bolt up.
You'll be best off with a 89-92 700R4 that was behind a 350. Just make sure to get the TV cable connected correctly or the trans will fry itself.
Bowtie Overdrives is the expert on TV cable setup.

Good luck on your project.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Wow! Thank you for your lengthy reply. Yes my S10 has a 700R4 and I'll be swapping it with the same that was behind a 350. Right now I'm planning on using Trans-Dapt motor mounts and Hedman headers. (Is there any difference between these and the Partriot?) I also plan on using a 4.3 radiator from a newer S10 with electric fans. Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 07:24 AM

I had Hedmans on a 94 for 15 years before they rusted thru, but by then the whole truck had rusted away. Currently using coated Patriots but haven't had them long enough to comment on longevity. Both bolted up with no problems.
For gaskets to the heads use the OEM GM layered metal ones and get some dead soft copper collector gaskets. The paper ones that come with headers burn out quickly.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Fuel Issues

Hey so I posted something earlier as to my issues but they got answer as far as what to do but now more detail would be great. So fuel? Mechanical is the way to go I assume but how. Will I need to buy more line? Do I need to remove the electric? I am swapping a 350 with 700R4 into my 85.

Last edited by ncwall; 01-24-2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: incorrect info
post #6 of 11 Old 01-24-2019, 11:33 PM
Registered Offender

Garage
Re: Fuel Issues

You can use the electric with an external regulator, using the same return line that came on the vehicle. 2-4 PSI for a carb is usually plenty.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-24-2019, 11:34 PM

Re: Fuel Issues

You need to raise the bed and remove the fuel pump/sending unit combo by first disconnecting the lines and unplugging the wiring. Cut the wires off as they will no longer be used. Be careful not to leave any exposed wires from the harness that could contact metal and cause a short. Rotate the metal ring which holds the pump assembly into the tank and carefully pull the pump out being careful not to bend the float arm for the gauge. Remove the actual pump and the short hose above it. Replace the hose with one as long as the return line next to the pump. Clamp or wire tie the bottom of the hose to that return line so it stays near the bottom of the tank and reassemble the tank.
At the front of the fuel line which goes to the engine connect the line to the mechanical fuel pump of the SBC with a piece of fuel line hose the appropriate diameter. I'd recommend installing an inline filter in that hose since you had to remove the sock in the tank. Since this is a supply line no worries about high pressure hose or any of that since the line is actually under vacuum. Just be sure it is fuel hose that can handle gasoline. Use good clamps of the correct size everywhere so as to maintain the vacuum to the mechanical pump or it won't hold a prime. keep it away from anything hot or moving. Carry a fire extinguisher any time you have an altered fuel system. Don't ask how I now know this.

I prefer this method to a regulator for 4 reasons. 1. It's cheaper. 2. The fuel lines before the pump are no longer under pressure. 3. If your fuel pump fails it's a lot easier to change, 2 bolts. 4. You eliminate the wiring.
I've done it, w/o any problems, long ago.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-25-2019, 12:00 AM
B4U Task Force

Threads merged..
oldeerslayer likes this.

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #9 of 11 Old 03-14-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

haven't posted an update at all so here is the first one. We have made major progress! The engine has had a major make over. All the gaskets have been replaced. It looks 100 times better than it did than when i got it. I have solved the fuel problems by using an external Edelbrock fuel pump. I hope to have some pictures coming soon. We are getting very close...yet so vary far. I ended up going with Patriot headers and they look nice so far. Our next big step is to clean the engine bay and get it ready for the install. I have also decided to go with a Champion corvette radiator. https://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cool...EC829/10002/-1. Does anyone know of any cheap fan shrouds for these rads using electric fans? Thanks for reading
post #10 of 11 Old 03-14-2019, 07:41 PM
B4U Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwall View Post
haven't posted an update at all so here is the first one. We have made major progress! The engine has had a major make over. All the gaskets have been replaced. It looks 100 times better than it did than when i got it. I have solved the fuel problems by using an external Edelbrock fuel pump. I hope to have some pictures coming soon. We are getting very close...yet so vary far. I ended up going with Patriot headers and they look nice so far. Our next big step is to clean the engine bay and get it ready for the install. I have also decided to go with a Champion corvette radiator. https://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cool...EC829/10002/-1. Does anyone know of any cheap fan shrouds for these rads using electric fans? Thanks for reading
Aluminum cookie sheet. They come in various sizes and work great. I'm assuming you already have a fan/fans? Go to www.V8S10.org and check out their stickies. They have a lot of excellent write-ups including the cookie sheet shroud. Sounds goofy but it works.

Here's a link...

http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20834

U.S.C.G. "Making sure the Navy doesn't get lost since 1790"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #11 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

I have just got the engine in. It is mounted as far back as possible. The starter would not clear for some odd reason. It is a Proform mini starter but I ordered another hoping that one will. The other problem I am having is the shift linkage for the column shifter. Its too short but that's not really a problem considering that you can buy a linkage set. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpt-sl. I found this, is anyone else running something similar? I might be willing to go with a floor shifter but I will resort to manifolds before I do that. I currently have the patriot short swap headers. If i could do it over again I would go with Headman but oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page