S-10 Forum banner

XtremelySLOW - Take three.

18K views 183 replies 20 participants last post by  What? 
#1 ·
Ok, well since my first two "project trucks" got a little out of hand, I decided to just scrap them, use all the parts I could, and start over from scratch. This project is going to be much more sensible. No more wild IRS, bodydrop, air-over-hydraulic hybrid, etc...

One thing I have learned the hard way is that I am just plain not that great at fabricating things... at all. So, this is just going to be a really basic, clean S10.

It's an 03 standard cab, 2.2L 5-speed with 90k. It was all stock when I got it. This is what I have done so far:

Suicidedoors upper control arms
McGaughys drop spindles
Complete set of balljoints (upper and lower)
Shitty 2" rear blocks from Autozone (will replace with drop springs later.)
alignment
18x8.5 Coy's C5 with Bridgestone Potenza 245/45/18
Complete ABS delete (With SSBC distribution block)
Chrome 7" brake booster
Complete A/C delete (Heater core is going to be removed soon also)
Cavi intake swap
Reverse front end conversion.

So here is how it looks as of last week:

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, also I threw my BLF no-notch tie-rods on, since the stock ones were worn out. I put the blazer sway bar on the front, with the poly bushings I had bought for the previous truck. Also, when I got this truck, the windows were off the tracks. When I pulled the doors apart, the soft part of the window tracks had fallen off, and were just sitting horizontal inside the bottom of the doors. All fixed now.

#3 ·
so is it getting bagged or staying static? clean truck man

#5 ·
First on my to-do list is to re-loom the entire wiring harness from the firewall forward, and delete all the connectors that are not needed:

Left front air bag sensor
Right front air bag sensor
Left front ABS sensor
Right front ABS sensor
ABS Module connector(s)
Air conditioning connectors
etc...

Here is how the truck looks now, after I tore into it last night:

#6 ·
It looks like a shitstorm of wires right now, but I labeled them all, and it kinda makes sense, to me at least. Two of the connectors though, I do not remember where they go to, and may need some help if anyone recognizes them. I labeled them "WTF" haha.

Right befre the harness goes through the firewall, there is this white goo on the wires. It was there on my 99 s10 also. Anyone know why it is there, or a good way to remove it easily?

This little "Mini Harness" just dis-connected from the main portion of the harness with one connector, and went to both air bag sensors, and both front ABS sensors. It was really easy:

#7 ·
I am going to take all the un-needed connectors and wires all the way back to these fuse blocks, and pull the wires out of the bottom of the fuse box, along with pulling the fuses as well:

Here is the first of the two "WTF" connectors. I think maybe it went to part of the A/C but I am not positive. It was on the passenger side of the engine bay towards the front.

Here is the "WTF" number two. It is connected with very heavy wires to the fuse in my hand in the background that connects directly to the fuse box. Does this go to the ABS Module? I thought only the large clear-coloroed connector went to the ABS.

#9 ·
Oh, also - Some of the A/C connectors have wires leading to that relay that is mounted on the firewall just underneath the passenger side windshield wiper. Is this relay just for the A/C? If so, I assume I can remove it as well, right?

Have any of you that have billet steering wheels ever been hassled for not having air bags?

Thanks in advance for any help!

#10 ·
#13 ·
Ok, so after a lot of thought, I think I am ready to make the first "Cut" into the wiring harness. Tell me if you agree with the following:

There are two plugs that plug into the actual ABS unit. The one I am talking about in this picture is what seems to be the "Power plug" and the other one (Not pictured) is the data plug. Since there is no ABS, it does not need power, so... in the picture above, from left to right:

1. This ground goes straight from the core support to the power plug on the ABS. Since it does not provide a ground to anything else, it is getting cut off and going into the garbage.

2. The red wire going between the "WTF ABS" plug - it dead ends at the white connector I am holding with my index finger, and that plugs straight into the fuse box. I am going to cut this wire off right at the white fuse box connector plug. This means that the ground, the "ABS power plug" and the red wire between them will all go in the garbage.

3. The other red wire that is coming out of the white fuse box plug (in the picture it goes off to the right) goes straight into the cab of the truck. I assume it powers something inside the cab, so I will leave it, and plug this back into the fuse box with just the one red wire still attached.

Any thoughts?

#14 ·
I am guessing that the other large red wire coming from that white connector is for the INT BAT 50A fuse that goes inside the cab and powers the interior fusebox. So I definitely need to keep that lol. I don't see how cutting off the red wire next to it that goes to the ABS would affect it at all though, Right?

#16 ·
Looking good man. I removed all those abs wiring and all that too.

if theres any way i can help more, just shoot me a pm, ill get to you when i can.

i try to login every day or so to check them.

#17 ·
Thanks Colbye!

Did you also delete the relay that is attached to the firewall? All but one of the wires go to A/C component connectors (Blue wire to one connector, purple to another, and 2 orange ones going into the cab, I assume to A/C controls.) The one black wire that doesn't is the one that goes both to the ground on the drivers side of the firewall, and to the windshield wiper motor. I assume I can just run that windshield wiper motor wire straight to the ground, and delete the whole relay, Right?

-Thanks

#18 ·
I am still nervous about that relay. Trying to find anything about it in my Chilton manual, but no luck so far. I want to be 100% before I cut it for sure.

Also, there is a vacuum line from the TB that goes all the way across the engine bay, to a one-way-tee, that connects to the vacuum canister in the fender, and then into the firewall. I assume it is only used to actuate the A/C vents. Since I already deleted A/C and Heat, I am tearing the Vacuum line out also tonight. I can't think of anything else inside the cab that would need vacuum to function. I'll just cap off the port right at the TB.

#19 ·
Ok, update on the wiring harness. Here is what I have done this far, as of today:

1.) Removed ABS Power plug by removing black ground wire from core support, and removing red wire from the plug that goes directly into the fusebox.

2.) Removed the Air Bag/ABS mini-harness that just plugs into the main harness.

3.) Removed the vacuum line that runs from the TB to the One-Way-Tee, and then to the Vacuum canister and into the cab. (I just cut the line right at the firewall.)

4.) I cut the Yellow wire, and the black-with-white-line wire that ran from the "Abs/Air bag mini-harness connector" to the firewall.

5.)I cut the Purple, Brown, Blue, and yellow-with-black-stripe wires that ran from the large clear ABS module connector to the firewall.

6.) The sensor in the Master cylinder break fluid tank has one purple wire going to the ABS, and another black wire going to the gray fuse box bus. I opened the bus, and pulled the pin/wire out. At this point the Clear ABS connector, the brake fluid sensor, and the ABS/Air Bag mini-harness connector all came off as one piece.

7.) I also pulled the black pin/wire out of the gray fuse box bus that went to the windshield wiper fluid squirter motor. I cut the red wire that was going from the squirter motor to the firewall.

8.) I pulled the interior fuses: 9 HVAC, 21 HVAC-1, 22 ABS. I pulled the following fuses in the engine bay: 10 Amp A/C fuse, the A/C relay, and the HVAC fuse.

My only concern thus far, is that the red wire that I cut that was going from the firewall to the window squirter motor will still be "Hot" or at least be hot if I were to accidentally actuate it from the controls on the steering column. There is one spot on the fusebox in the engine bay labeled "W/W Pump 10A" but not only is there no fuse in it to remove, but there aren't even any contact points in those holes for a fuse to connect to. There is nothing on the interior fuse box that looks like it has anything to do with the window squirter.

The other thing I thought was odd, is that this truck (a 2wd single cab) currently has fuses installed for Cruise control, 4WD, Rear wiper, power locks, rear defog, a relay for rear defog, etc. Do they just put the same fusebox in every single S-series regardless of options?

I also need to find a list of what all the fuses go to, since some of them have acronyms that are difficult to figure out, such as: "TRCHMSL," "BTSI," and "LDLEV."

I have not even started to mess with deleting all the A/C harness plugs yet. They all seem to go to different places. (None of them go to the fusebox though.) One goes straight to the ECM, another just disappears down behind the transmission, etc... I gotta learn more before I start cutting those ones.

#20 ·
for that plug on the ac that goes into the computer main plug i took the plug apart and pulled the pins out today. pain in the ass. the plug went to the sensor on the ac line. had red black and gray wire. hardest part was getting the little clip off the bolts that hold the plug to the computer. it has to come off for the plug to come apart and there are a lot of wires in that plug and if your not careful the other pins can fall out too.

#21 ·
Ah, thanks! Yeah, mine has the same red, black, gray wires. Looks like I know what i'll be doing at 5am when I get off work today! lol

I still have one plug that I am not sure what it was for. It was the first of the two "WTF" pics in the earlier post. It has a black wire, and a green wire, and it comes off of the passenger side headlight portion of the harness. There is another plug further back in the engine bay that also has black and green wires, but it was for the A/C compressor and thankfully I labeled it.

#22 ·
mhilt13 - I got the ECM out, and so far was able to remove the gray plastic back part, but am not sure how to get it further apart. The main white plastic part is held to the metal part because of that screw through the middle, and the screw has a retainer on the back side. It looks like I would need to break the retainer intentionally to get the screw out in order to separate the white part from the metal part. Is that how you did it, or did you separate the blue part from the white part without even messing with the screw/retainer in order to de-pinn the wires?

#24 ·
For that A/C plug with the Red, black, and gray wires - The Red and black go to the ECM connector with the blue plastic, and the gray goes to the ECM connector with the gray plastic, so you have to do them both. I thought I had to take the bolt and clip out of the middle in order to do it, but once I got it apart, I realized I didn't need to, so the second one I did with the bolt still in.

I also got the Green and black A/C compressor connector removed. It was a bit tedious to get to, and I didn't take any pics of it, but it kinda snakes around a bit before eventually ending up back at the blue fuse box bus, so I de-pinned it.

I am still trying to figure out the relay deal, and if I even need it. I de-pinned the purple wire from the relay, since I am certain it is not needed, but the black wire (Ground I assume) and the two orange wires that go from the relay into the cab are still there. I am not sure if they are for the A/C, or something important.

#26 ·
damn i took both the bolts out to get the pins out. it was a pain in the ass too. ill check out my harness and see if i labeled the plug your talking about on the passender side of the headlight harness. i still need to do the ac compressor plug too i been busy trying to untangle all the wires coming off the computer and cutting them to lengnth for the cavy intake to clean it up a lot better than i did last week. ill post some pics of my progress tomorrow night, im almost done and its looking alot better but i need to polish my computer like your mine looks bad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.