S-10 Forum banner

[How To] Tilt your bed!

50K views 90 replies 48 participants last post by  Camron15 
#1 · (Edited)
There's a new story entry added:

[How To] Tilt your bed!

cdog24 said:
This is an explanation of how to tilt your bed with air including pictures. I recently had a few requests asking how I did this mod. It's pretty simple if you have some decent type of fabrication skills and patience for measuring. Materials include: 2500 bag or equivalent, air management (valves, line, fittings, etc), steel for fab, and hardware. You can change what I've done here to fit your needs, but this seems to work fine for what I?m trying to do. If you have any specific questions, don/t hesitate to pm/email me. I/m sure I/ll forget a few things.

#8 ·
Re: similar job

SykWitit said:
hey man im wantin to do the same thing on my full size 02 sierra, can you show me how to make brackets to dump the bed like a dumb truck with air bags like you did from the side?
dumb trucks dump from the back? lol

you gotta find a way to hinge it so the bed front bottom wont hit ur cab when it goes up. i would just have the hinge as far down as possible. optimally as low as the bottom of the bed. buuut you have a gap between the bed and cab. so you can pull off a bit more.

#71 ·
Re: similar job

dumb trucks dump from the back? lol

you gotta find a way to hinge it so the bed front bottom wont hit ur cab when it goes up. i would just have the hinge as far down as possible. optimally as low as the bottom of the bed. buuut you have a gap between the bed and cab. so you can pull off a bit more.
easiest way to do this is to make a sliding hinge so it slides back before it actually starts to dump.

#9 ·
This tilt bed sounds like crap who would waste their time:)

what up Christian?, How you been and are you still in school? Kerri Clayton is in a bunch of my classes and your name came up the other day, it was funny she said her boy friend hayes you, ha ha. How you are good man.

#13 ·
haha, that's freaking great!! She is always trying to start some drama between me and her boyfriend. She's ate up, lol

...I've been good though, I graduated in December. I'm still in the boro, just looking for that career path right now. I've been putting my resume out a lot and getting quite a few bites, it's only time before I'm into something.

...when am I gonna see that amazing truck of yours back out on the road and dominating the show scene? pictures??

#15 ·
Love how you tilted it to the side, something I have never seen before.

#17 ·
If you place the hinges almost exactly where the last mounting bolts are, then it will clear the cab or will after a very slight amount of trimming.

If you can imagine these welded up into that. Works fairly well if it didn't warp slightly and make it impossible to fit the 3/4" bolt through them.

It was really cool actually but I ran into to many problems and decided to scrap the whole project. One main reason was to show off the remote mounted turbo but I went with an engine mounted one instead. I had problems getting the hinges to line up, I mounted the bag in the back about 13" from the hinges which would have worked with more supports, but it actually bulged out the bed when I lifted it. The bed was also loose on the hinges and clunked around alot. I finally decided that it wasn't worth it for me. I'm more into the sport truck category so the extra weight didn't help either.

One thing I thought that would have been sick was the fact that I would have to lift the bed to fill my tank (plus shaved gas lid). I couldn't imagine all the "wtf" stares I would have got.

#29 ·
im curious on the bracing as well.
i guess side tilting wouldnt need quite as much if any bracing...
but tilting it back would most likely need some.
and to keep the bedfloor from buckling as well.
im planning on doing this this summer so hopefully ill be able to do a nice how to on that

#34 ·
great how-to!!!!!!!!!

i guess i found me another project :D

my bed is fully welded and tubbed on the top so the only way to access my air managment is from the bottom of the truck, yet are there any close ups off the dump type? sounds like it would be a b*tch to get without hitting the cab..... :|

#35 ·
yeah im new hear. i have a 92 s 10 and i am in the proscess of tilting my bed to the side. i have the bed on the hinges already and it works out fine. i am woundering what the best way it to lift the bed. i have two 1/4 tun air hydrolics and i dont know what the best way is to mount them. n e ideas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.