S-10 Forum banner

Pictures and steps on how to cut the bumpstop brackets off.

37K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  DzMiniz 
#1 ·
#4 ·
does the truck have to be lowered to do this and feel the effects cuz i have an 02 zq8 and i was wondering if this will effect it in a positive way,thanks

#5 ·
02dime said:
does the truck have to be lowered to do this and feel the effects cuz i have an 02 zq8 and i was wondering if this will effect it in a positive way,thanks
Unless you bottom out, it doesn't effect the ride. However, for the small amount of times that you DO bottom out, it keeps your axle from hitting the frame. Metal on metal is bad.

#6 ·
i just did mine this weekend, my blazer is droped 3/4 or 3/5 cant really tell and its a dream, it was alot tuffer then this guy made it sound with my 87 lol i ended up getting frusterated and just hacking them off peice by piece, i couldnt get the welds from 87 to crack so i just well cut um off lol but it helps alot i hit the bumps on my road that at 30 would normally slam the back end around, and it road like a dream wata big difference just a stupid peice of metal with a rubber end makes

#14 ·
Re: 96 s10

AyJay96350 said:
i have a 1996 s10 lowered 5 and 6. if i do this will i have enough clearance or will it be to low?
Each truck is different. Some people with a 6 in the back have 2 inches of clearance after cutting out the brackets. Others have maybe 1/2 inch of clearance after cutting them out. Only thing I suggest is to remove them and measure. If you have around 2 inches of clearance and good shocks in the back you should be OK. You will still hit on larger bumps but not all the time. But after cutting them out you find you do not have enough clearance or you still hit often, you may need to look into a small c-notch.

#15 ·
Re: liquid nails?

burple said:
Liquid nails will work. But that is really only needed if you go down to a 6 in the back. And still then, depending on the clearance, a notch may be in order.
yeah i've been rollin on it for about 2 weeks without bumpstops and have not hit once...i was thinking about putting the bump stop on the flat plate that hold the U bolts in, just in case...but like i said, 3 inch drop...no issues with them gone...now i gotta do the front.

#19 ·
Thanks!

started lookin under my truck the other day when me and my bud were working on my truck weldin the rollpan up and me and him seen it at about the same time and we though dang the axle isnt supposed to sit on the bump stops like that is it? sarcastically so he got out the plasma cutter and we pulled a jesse james monster garage style but its lower and it rides better than it did stock. No wonder it beat me to death everyday!

#24 ·
oweezy said:
Unless you bottom out, it doesn't effect the ride. However, for the small amount of times that you DO bottom out, it keeps your axle from hitting the frame. Metal on metal is bad.

IF YOU CUT OFF THE BUMPSTOPS WITH A ZQ8 SUSPENSION, YOU WILL MOST LIKELY BOTTOM OUT THE SHOCKS, NOT THE AXLE ON THE FRAME.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.