yes i know... what type of exhaust thread - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

yes i know... what type of exhaust thread

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Exhaust
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #1

yes i know... what type of exhaust thread

Im sure you all have had enough of these, but i have not been able to find my answer with search. Im currently doing some mods to my truck. Mainly exhaust, CAI and a tune from either pcmforless or w4m. Heres my question, on some threads people state that you will get better performance out of the tune with a free flowing exhaust and a cai. BUT what exactly do i need for a free flowing exhaust. This is a daily commuter, aka im setting at 70mph for around a hour at a time so i dont want it to be super loud in the truck.

I was looking at a magnaflow single in single out muffler with 2.5" pipe and thinking about a high flow cat. All stainless b/c of rust problems. Im driving a 2000 blazer with the 4.3 and as far as i know, i have stock exhaust.

Would a new exhaust (replacing cat) be enough to compliment the tune best or should i do more? thanks for any help.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

User is: OffLine
Re: yes i know... what type of exhaust thread

Done to death but...

You are on the right track with the Magnaflow. It wont drone (unlike anything Flowmaster will) as long as you dont dump it before the rear. Mags sound good on the Four tree. I am partial to the Hooker maxflow myself..
Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #3

My main concern is will replacing the cat and muffler give me better performance or am i wasting money by not doing headers as well.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

No, its no waste of money, however, I would have to say, you will probably pick up more adding a bigger y-pipe in the mix. Many on here, myself included, will tell you that unless you are adding N2o, boost, or are building the motor, headers will pick up only moderate amounts of power in comparison to a Y-pipe and catback swap
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #5

Your cat already flows enough, ana Blazer already has a large(r than than the pickups) y-pipe.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #6

So basically i could order one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...Q5fAccessories

have stainless steel pipe installed from the cat back and ill be good to go. As far as the y pipe and cat ill check on the prices with the shop and go from there. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #7

Well i called a few shops today and one cannot bend ss pipe, the other wants 220 to do just the pipe and labor with me purchasing the muffler and cat. Still looking for another shop to do it but not having much luck. I may have to resort to buying prebent pipe and clamping it
Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
V8.cuz.big.girls.cant.run

Eh clamps are okay for a temporary situation but as far as a permanent solution idk if i'd clamp together my exhaust setup
Old 11-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #9

One more question, is that muffler going to be ok or am i going to loose too much backpressure by going with the straight through muffler? Just wanting to know if i should go with the xl series or the performance series. thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Its fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.