Test Pipes - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Test Pipes

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Exhaust
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Get some

User is: OffLine
Test Pipes

Has anyone heard of a test pipe? I'm looking for one but all i can find are for older s10's. my truck is a 98. I don't want to just hack off the cat incase the VET laws ever come back. any help?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEST-...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by Dvst8r; 01-01-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Gaaoooooo

Re: Test Pipes

Why do you want one? I've had experience with no cat, stock cat, and high flow cat and I can honestly say there is just about no reason to not run a cat on a daily driver.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Starting from scratch...

^^^^

What he said.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
Get some

i was just curious about the ''so called'' hp gain and the sound it made without one. I never was really sure about them. thanks for the input
Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
The Eye is watching you!!

the sound is only noticeable if you have an open exhaust system. there will be around a 5% mileage and hp gain but again, not that worth it unless you're a hardcore every last hp builder. oyea and if you have any sort of inspections...they frown on it...a lot.

if you really want one, just buy a bit of straight pipe and U bolt it in place if you can. or weld similar flanges to the end of a pipe and bolt it in. I've done both, both are easy and not all that worth it.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
Get some

Quote: Originally Posted by kamesama980
the sound is only noticeable if you have an open exhaust system. there will be around a 5% mileage and hp gain but again, not that worth it unless you're a hardcore every last hp builder. oyea and if you have any sort of inspections...they frown on it...a lot.

if you really want one, just buy a bit of straight pipe and U bolt it in place if you can. or weld similar flanges to the end of a pipe and bolt it in. I've done both, both are easy and not all that worth it.

yea but what would i do with the o2 sensor. i put a high flow hollow cat on my buddys 99 Si and it made the check engine come and say bad o2 sensor.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Gaaoooooo

There may be a slight MPG gain but there certainly will not be a 5% HP gain. I liked the sound of no cat with a free flowing exhaust as well, but then I got tired of the gas smell and flaky O2 simulator so I had a Spintech 3" high flow cat put on...it had pretty much the same sound as without a cat. Some people do have issues with the SES and a high flow cat some don't, the best way is to have the post-cat O2 sensor related trouble codes disabled using a custom tune (like wait4me or pcmforless).

Last edited by MINTSICK; 01-03-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Get some

how much did that spintech cat cost? I've heard of pcmforless but never looked into it.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Starting from scratch...

Quote: Originally Posted by wizzlenator502
yea but what would i do with the o2 sensor. i put a high flow hollow cat on my buddys 99 Si and it made the check engine come and say bad o2 sensor.
You can tune it out, like Mint said, or you can buy an aftermarket cat with the 02 sensor bung already welded in (Maganaflow i know for sure has a few part numbers w/ the 02 included), or simply have the shop you go to weld an 02 sensor bung just behind the cat, and run the sensor there. In the event the sensor doesn't like the "high-flow" aftermarket piece, then you can allows block off the bung and go the de-tune route as previously mentioned.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by wizzlenator502
how much did that spintech cat cost? I've heard of pcmforless but never looked into it.
It was right around $100 with shipping I believe.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:48 AM   #11
Get some

cool, i think on my friends honda it said it was reading to cold or something.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
ls1 junkie

you could always put a sim on it if you dont want to get a tune done. that way if you go back to cat you can hook the sensor back up.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
The Eye is watching you!!

yea, options for 2nd cat (I've never had to work on a car with a 2nd cat. repair or upgrade) but you can either reinforce, drill, and tap it or do an O2 simulator mod If you don't mind the test pipe legality you don't mind the o2 sim legality.

the mileage/power gain depends on the engine, exhaust system, and cat condition. I've seen cars gain more than 5%, I've seen cars have no measurable change.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #14
Get some

a friend of mine cut the cats of his mustang and he said he had to use MIL Eliminators for 2 of his o2 sensors. he said they got them in jegs and summit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.