S-10 Forum banner

Cat converter mishap

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  comics22 
#1 ·
So I just got a diagnosis that my Cat converter is shot. (Lost power on the way home from work and started overheating so I had to tow it to a shop).

The GM part is $1300. I'm not paying for that. I can get an aftermarket for $2-300. And I'm currently living in SC with no inspection or emissions. So I'm thinking I'm gonna just cut it out and weld a piece of pipe in its place or maybe an advanced auto $20 muffler to deaden some sound. I'm sure I will get a check engine light if I do this from the downstream 02 sensor. But will I face any mechanical problems?

#5 ·
i went with $10 pipe...egr also died so its removed and blocked off...with a pipe it doesnt drone or be too loud as long as you run the tailpipe out the back of the truck. I have the thrush turbo muffler on there - doesnt sound very turboy... more tractor like now... (i think its got a hole in it... again..)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.