S-10 Forum banner

DETAILING – REVIEW of WIPE NEW trim treatment

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  denis 
#1 ·
Yes, this is the stuff advertised on late-night TV. Wipe-New can be used on any plastic, vinyl, rubber, chrome, leather, acrylic, ceramic, metallic surfaces, headlight lens, fiberglass, etc. Claims it does not contain silicone.

This is not a complete review, since I have not yet tried it, but there is enough information here to help you decide if you want to try it. The following is taken from the included instruction sheet. Please respond to this thread, if you do use it, concerning any application difficulty, how long it lasts, and your satisfaction (or otherwise).

Ø Consumer Reports says both WIPE-NEW and ReNu FINISH will easily last 10 weeks, and 10 car washes, while the other treatment/ protectants tested were completely faded (not visible) in less than 10 weeks. See issue May 2014 page 53, for the specific treatments tested, and a picture. But will WIPE-NEW actually last for the claimed 2-years?

Ø Application of WIPE-NEW requires that the trim be clean and dry. Clean means any previous silicone treatment or body wax overspread, must be removed. The trim must be cleaned using a wax remover & degreaser such as TSP (tri-sodium phosphate). How do you wash the vehicle trim with TSP, without damaging the adjacent car body paint?

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
I purchased a single *kit* at Pep-Boys for $20. Online, or ordering by phone from the TV commercial, you get two *kits* for $35.

WHAT DO YOU GET in the WIPE-NEW KIT?
The Wipe-New *kit* contains a 1.5 ounce bottle of *magic-treatment*, 2 micro-fiber small towels for application, 1 detail brush, 1 pair of nitrile gloves, 1 headlight applicator, and 1 headlight prep-pad: a thin flat 3x3 inch *sponge* with 2000 grit abrasive on one side, to be used to *clean* (using elbow grease) an oxidized (white) headlight before treatment. Not exactly how the TV commercial shows an oxidized headlight being treated – but what, you expected something else?

The liquid Wipe-New has a shelf life of 1-year after purchase. Since there is no manufactured date anywhere on the packaging or container, I take that to mean one year after the sealed liquid container is opened.

Also included is a 4-page instruction *manual*, although one complete page is a list of exclusions to the 2-year performance warranty, meaning a list of reasons you will not be getting a refund if you don’t like the way it works.

WHAT is WIPE-NEW?
There is no list of chemical contents on the packaging. There is no real indication of what it really is, and I cannot find an MSDS. But (as an analogy) think in terms of a thin clear poly-paint that is wiped on using a micro-fiber towel.

HOW IS WIPE-NEW APPLIED?
Well, the included instruction sheet does give 3-pages of careful details on application. So you should read the instruction sheet carefully and fully before application/ using.

Basically, application means a one-wipe full-wet pass only, minimal overlap on adjacent application passes, and no touching until dry. Do NOT attempt to over-wipe on a previous application pass, although there is some specific wording in the instructions concerning this. Again, think in terms of applying varnish to a piece of wood, and the results of over-brushing: heavy brush marks. I am not talking about a second coat after dry, but over-wiping while partially wet. And there are no instructions/ comments concerning a second coat, or how long to wait before applying a second coat – perhaps just wait until it dulls?

Minimal overlap on adjacent passes, is to prevent lines, although supposedly Wipe-New is self leveling. That does mean that the adjacent wipe-pass must be done before the first wipe-pass dries.

Wipe-New requires 24 hours to cure. Parking the vehicle inside a garage while curing, is recommended, to prevent dust or rain from damaging the Wipe-New application.

Because of the application method, I would question whether Wipe-New can be properly applied to heavily textured (pebbled) surfaces. An example would be the rear bumper step protector, located on the top of the rear bumper of my 1998 S10 Blazer. Wipe-New might (or might not) work on the slightly pebbled surface of the door handle inset protectors. Wipe-New is clearly (pun intended) best when applied to a smooth surface.

Definitely not for glass or body paint, as the instructions state. If not removed from glass or body paint while wet, it can only be removed by abrasives (think sandpaper).

----eof

See less See more
#2 ·
Wipe-New is currently on sale at Pep Boys for $15 - not trying to persuade anyone to buy it, just saying if you want to try it this is the best price I have ever seen - and I would strongly advise *against* an online or TV purchase - there are hundreds of online complaints about the various links selling this stuff - not about the product itself, just the sleezy sales tactics used. Buyer beware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.