what temp do u put bondo on?? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

what temp do u put bondo on??

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
what temp do u put bondo on??

I have used filler and know how to use it properley (prep etc) but i was wondering if any one gets the panel or the area that they are applying filler to a certain tempurature? or can it be applied in any temp?
thanks
Old 01-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
Supa Fly

Re: what temp do u put bondo on??

its better if it is warm..like room temp 70 degrees or so, and the area is completely clean...that has always worked for me.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #3

the colder the air is the longer it will take to set up
Old 01-07-2005, 09:44 PM   #4

yes i agree with the above post. its possible to spread bondo on at -10 C but it takes all night to setup enough you can sand it. unfornuately (sp?) i dont have a real heated shop so this is what i have to do. i have a heater, but its still like at least -5C in there. if its colder, and you can play with it a little more because it takes longer to set.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:15 PM   #5

agreed with all above, 70-85deg is best but if its colder just mix the filler hotter it shouldnt take too long to cure since most fillers are chemical curing not air cured, hot air=cold mix cold air=hot mix avg air=avg mix,
now i dunno about using it in -5deg weather but ive gone from about 50deg up to 105deg in texas and right mix worked fine,
Old 01-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
THE SDIME98

s i've mixed some in the cold and in hot weather
Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 PM   #7

thats all i was wondering, DOES any one really KNOW if temp is related to how it will last in the long run or the strength?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
woof

it doesnt matter dude. is what everyone is saying. just know its gonna take a while to set up. which might be good.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:38 PM   #9
Hates 'know-it-alls'

once it hardens it's gonna be as strong no matter what temp it was mixed in, the temp will only affect curing time
Old 01-08-2005, 12:14 AM   #10

yes its gotta be about -8C or so in my shop right now, and it sux spreading filler at that low of temp. it mixes and spreads the same, it just feels like its set up already when your mixing it thats all. but i would recommend you NOT to mix it when its that cold, unless you have to like me because i dont have a real heated shop. im wearing a pair of workgloves while working on my truck its so friggin cold in there. and if you take your glove off its freezing cold in less than 2 minutes. its gay.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:21 AM   #11

wow, yea i bet at that cold the filler without hardener is just thick cus the cold, same with paint it thickens up when cold but flows better when hot

yea it dont matter about the long run, as long as it hardens b4 you paint it
Old 01-08-2005, 02:48 AM   #12

xdreamm- ya its a bitch to spread because like you said it gets thick and starts to freeze up. but im SOL, because its the only way i can spread it right now. and if i dont do it now, then i bet its never gonna get done.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:36 AM   #13

not to hijak or nothin man but cant you hang some tarps over the sides and get ya a area heater or somthing to warm that shop up? thats so cold i wouldnt even piss in that if i had to!
Old 01-08-2005, 05:05 AM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by xdreamz99
not to hijak or nothin man but cant you hang some tarps over the sides and get ya a area heater or somthing to warm that shop up? thats so cold i wouldnt even piss in that if i had to!
haha. you should live her in midwestern canada. the other day, it got down to -40C which is the same as -40F. i've spread some bondo and done some glassing and painting in temps below -20C and it's not fun in my garage. but i try and seal everything up and turn on a couple space heaters to make it almost manageable.

mind you, that post is only going to make MORE americans think we live in igloos
Old 01-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #15
THE ANTIBOWTIE OUTKAST!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Punk0Rama
haha. you should live her in midwestern canada. the other day, it got down to -40C which is the same as -40F. i've spread some bondo and done some glassing and painting in temps below -20C and it's not fun in my garage. but i try and seal everything up and turn on a couple space heaters to make it almost manageable.

mind you, that post is only going to make MORE americans think we live in igloos
How's that igloo work'n out for ya????
Old 01-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #16

get a shop heater damm i got a propane heater that was 100 bucks from lowes and i can get my garage to 90 deg in 10 min from freezinng.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #17

well we have a space heater. it does a not bad job of heating it. but i think im just gonna surffer the cold until my dad gets half of his shop in this year. because he wants to find an old furnace(sp? im slow today) and put it in there.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:30 PM   #18

when it's cold here i've used a heatgun on the stuff after it's spread to help it setup makes it alot faster
Old 01-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #19

If the surface is cold you should worry about condensation more than curing.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:14 AM   #20

what r u fillin in with bondo, i hope not a bodyline or nuttin cuz thats what i was goin to do but all the fellas on here said that aitn good, so im goin to fiberglass it now. so goodluck and let me know what ur bondo is goin in and how good it works and do u use bondo alot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.