right stuff metal conditioner - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

right stuff metal conditioner

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
right stuff metal conditioner

found some stuff called Right Stuff at advance auto parts. its a de-ruster and metal conditioner. is this stuff any good at preventing future corrosion and getting rid of some present rust.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:03 PM   #2

Re: right stuff metal conditioner

bump
Old 06-27-2005, 01:51 AM   #3

never used it but all i know is that most retail rust products are ment for temporary or short use... cor ban 35 is a air craft product that will last and work
Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Classic Metal Works

Hello! Right Stuff De-Ruster Metal Conditioner is an excellent product.
I own a Hot Rod Shop called Classic Metal Works and I put this on every one of the cars I build. It will convert any existing rust to a neutral state and provides excellent adhesion for primer.
Any time you treat bare metal with a conditioner, it will cause the primer you put on it to last much longer. The fact that this product coverts the rust, not just treat it, makes it much better than a lot of top dollar name brand products on the market.
It is one of the Hot Rod Industry's "dirty little secrets." All the pros have been using it for years! You can mostly find it at parts stores and agriculture supply stores. It is still relatively cheap right now so buy it while you can!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
drunk and bored

Old 06-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by Hot Rodz & Resto
Hello! Right Stuff De-Ruster Metal Conditioner is an excellent product.
I own a Hot Rod Shop called Classic Metal Works and I put this on every one of the cars I build. It will convert any existing rust to a neutral state and provides excellent adhesion for primer.
Any time you treat bare metal with a conditioner, it will cause the primer you put on it to last much longer. The fact that this product coverts the rust, not just treat it, makes it much better than a lot of top dollar name brand products on the market.
It is one of the Hot Rod Industry's "dirty little secrets." All the pros have been using it for years! You can mostly find it at parts stores and agriculture supply stores. It is still relatively cheap right now so buy it while you can!
... im kinda curious to see the quailty of the hot rods your shop is pumpin out...post up some pics..............
Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #7

That's what I was thinking.. hmm
I wouldn't use it..
Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
Classic Metal Works

Sorry, I didn't realize someone responded to my post.

I have a small shop so I'm not "pumping out" anything! We usually do about 3-5 cars a year and I have a waiting list time of about six months for new customers.

Here is a 55 Chevy I just finished.....

And here is an 84 Chevy truck I did ...

And here is a 47 Ford Coupe I did.......

Simply go to my website..... www.freewebs.com/ClassicMetalworks if you want to see some more of my work and more pictures of these cars.

If you have been around enough to even know someone in the resto biz, you have heard of this stuff and you know it works! Right Stuff is a Cleaning Chemical Comany the makes dozens of different industrial use products. I use it for one reason. I've been building cars for over 18 years and it works better that everything else I've used!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
Classic Metal Works

Quote: Originally Posted by 93dime
... im kinda curious to see the quailty of the hot rods your shop is pumpin out...post up some pics..............

Here is a 55 Chevy I just finished.....

And here is an 84 Chevy truck I did ...

And here is a 47 Ford Coupe I did.......
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #10
drunk and bored

a ****ing year later????

and besides the fact that there is no fool proof way to stop/convert rust besides physically removing it...........
Old 07-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
Classic Metal Works

Quote: Originally Posted by paint toad
a ****ing year later????

and besides the fact that there is no fool proof way to stop/convert rust besides physically removing it...........

ah but there is! you just have obviously not done the research!

Rust is a chemical compound that can easily be broken down and changed with other chemicals. De Ruster contains phosphates that do just that.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
drunk and bored

are you an ad-bot?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #13
Classic Metal Works

a ****ing year later????

and yes..... a year later. no need to curse. I don't own an s10 so naturally I don't come to this site often. I have built a couple in the past (the first being 16 years ago!) so I do hit it every once in a while.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #14
Classic Metal Works

are you an ad-bot?

not sure what an ad bot is.... so I gues I'm not one!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #15
drunk and bored

****ing awesome....you know what...go blow smoke up someone's ass that doesn't know better.....

i pretty much try to totally avoid anything to do with rust...

bottom line:

you never set yourself up for failure!!!

rust=imminent failure....PERIOD!

do you go personally inspect your customers cars every year to make sure there is no blistering?....probably not.....

i mean ****......i can put down a lifetime warranty on my paint and bodywork....paint is backed by ppg,bodywork is backed by me......

i can't guarantee rust....no way!

i'm 20+years in this field and i know there are no wonder cures for anything....i'm kinda wondering if you are younger than me,ripping people off,or older than me,ripping people off??????
Old 07-15-2008, 11:45 PM   #16
Heavy Metal Body Man

he sounds like one of those friggin infomercials you see at 3 in the morning trying to peddle a shitty "wonder" product that wont sell in stores

you cant bullshit me, rust is rust, there is no magical cure for it by slopping some concoction all over it, its deteriorated metal and is cancerous to the rest of the car if left unchecked... it MUST BE REMOVED, no ifs ands or buts

any REPUTABLE rod shop would tell you that, why do you think the good expensive shops have everything blasted and repaired?

shade tree hacks cover shit up.... real body guys fix it
Old 07-16-2008, 12:02 AM   #17
Classic Metal Works

****ing awesome....you know what...go blow smoke up someone's ass that doesn't know better.....

i pretty much try to totally avoid anything to do with rust...

bottom line:

you never set yourself up for failure!!!

rust=imminent failure....PERIOD!

do you go personally inspect your customers cars every year to make sure there is no blistering?....probably not.....

i mean ****......i can put down a lifetime warranty on my paint and bodywork....paint is backed by ppg,bodywork is backed by me......

i can't guarantee rust....no way!

i'm 20+years in this field and i know there are no wonder cures for anything....i'm kinda wondering if you are younger than me,ripping people off,or older than me,ripping people off??????

Look, I dont know what you are so upset about. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all like a lot of guys on here, I just thought I would reply to a post regarding something I have experience with.

I have been using this product for years on cars that are daily drivers and on show winning hot rods. This product works whether you believe it or not!(personally I don't care)

I never implied anything negative about you and you shouldn't about me either. I have one of the best reputations in this area for the quality of my work and my honesty. I give a full guarranty on everything I do. I never said this was a wonder cure.

I actually completely media blast all of the cars I work on. Any rot I find is cut out and the metal replaced. I treat all of the blasted areas with De Ruster, not just where the rust was. I use it as more of an insurance measure than anything else. Not some "wonder cure."

I have tested it by putting it over heavy surface rust on scrap panels that were left outside. You can see the chemical reaction taking place. Just because you don't understand it does not mean it doesn't work!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #18
drunk and bored

i am a 100% non beleiver in rust converting coatings......
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #19
Classic Metal Works

You don't have to believe it for it to work! It is simple Phisical Sceince. Here are two very simple reasons that it works!

1. Iron Oxide (rust) is a chemical compound that needs Oxygen to continue rusting. Without Oxygen, it can't contiue rusting. This is a scientific proven fact.

2. The De Ruster is not just a coating. It converts the rust into another chemical other than Iron Oxide. Therefore the rust is REMOVED, not just COATED.

The metal is not the rust. the rust is a corrosive chemical that eats the metal. If you remove to corrosive chemical (rust) It can no longer contiue to oxidize!

I can't speak for all other rust removers and coatings because I havn't tried them. As a rule, COATINGS are going to be a short-time fix but RUST REMOVERS and going to be a permanent fix. If you remove it, it is no longer there!

I attend the Hot Rod & Restoration Trade Show in Indiana every year. This year alone there were several new products in the area of rust removal. They all have their product on display and show demonstrations of the product working at the show.

It is called technology. This isn't the dark ages. If we can put a man on the moon.....WHY CAN'T WE REMOVE RUST?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.