Red Metallic Flake with Black Paint (Painttoad) - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Red Metallic Flake with Black Paint (Painttoad)

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 08:34 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Red Metallic Flake with Black Paint (Painttoad)

So, I am looking to possibly paint my own truck and I have been researching materials. I have come across a metallic red flake that I would really like to add to my final paint job. They say it is to be mixed in with the clearcoat, but I wondered, were I to mix it with the actual paint, would it make the flake more subtle so as not to draw ridiculous attention like some of these Impalas and Montes that I see on 24's with chameleon paint.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
10 Fingers, 10 Toes

Re: Red Metallic Flake with Black Paint (Painttoad)

I mixed up some green and some red pearls with my black when I painted my radiator support after modifying for the Corvette radiator, and it turned out pretty cool. Looks black head on, but when the sun hits it, you can see the pearl. If that's the look you're going for, then pearls would be it. It's less noticeable except when the light hits it.
As for metal flake over black, I've never sprayed it, and I'm sure painttoad could help you more.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:01 AM   #3
drunk and bored

Quote: Originally Posted by drifts14x
So, I am looking to possibly paint my own truck and I have been researching materials. I have come across a metallic red flake that I would really like to add to my final paint job. They say it is to be mixed in with the clearcoat, but I wondered, were I to mix it with the actual paint, would it make the flake more subtle so as not to draw ridiculous attention like some of these Impalas and Montes that I see on 24's with chameleon paint.
spray out test panels,see what you like!
Old 09-19-2006, 04:03 AM   #4
drunk and bored

Quote: Originally Posted by o0xerog0o
As for metal flake over black.
we called this'contaminated black' ,it's been a few years.....
Old 09-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
ziptied

yeah, spray a little of each for testing, post some pics, and we'll tell you what looks nice or not..
Old 09-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Ranger Driver

do it
Old 09-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #7

I don't have the materials on hand right now, nor do I have the time to do it. I am one of those people that plans every step through before I start the job, when I decide to spray, I will post the test panels, I promise. Wanted to know though, do I need more than one quart of paint and/or clear to paint my truck?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
drunk and bored

Quote: Originally Posted by drifts14x
I don't have the materials on hand right now, nor do I have the time to do it. I am one of those people that plans every step through before I start the job, when I decide to spray, I will post the test panels, I promise. Wanted to know though, do I need more than one quart of paint and/or clear to paint my truck?
yep,if you seal it first you can probably get by with 3 quarts,but if you are doing the jambs,better just get a gallon of color

gallon of clear,also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.