OMNI or Shopline? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

OMNI or Shopline?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
NOT DONE TO MANY PROBLEMS

User is: OffLine
Question OMNI or Shopline?

Ok i decided i am going to paint my truck the color of my parts truck, Its hip hop red from Hyundai. Its a really bright straight red. This is my first time painting the truck and was thinking of going with shop line. I don't know if they have this color or not i assume they would but haven't called yet. I did get a price on OMNI for a gallon of base and clear with all the hardeners and reducers would be about $260. Now is a gallon too much? I will be painting everything on the truck, jambs inside of doors and fenders . . . I thought about getting DBC but i asked the guy but just for the base no reducer was $535. he also suggested using a clear that was called finishmaster? not sure if that was the name. He said it does a good job and is easy to shoot and is a little cheaper as everything would be $218. I still have to get sealer but that isn't a problem. thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #2

Re: OMNI or Shopline?

shopline is new omni so to speak...

how much it will take depends on the mixing ratio 1:1 ratio would yield you two gallons of sprayable with one gallon of base, a 1:2 however would only yield 1/2, if your spraying everything there is a chance you may not have enough, esp if you dont use a sealer primer, plus it takes more for the lower end paint so to speak to cover
Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Mini Truckin' = Lifestyle

I don't recomend Omni clear but I have used there base plenty of times and I thinks it works great. If you got a gallon you will prolly have some left but better too much then to little.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
stone the crow...

we use omni clear on cheaper jobs in the shop i work at, hell i am going to be spraying some tommorow . I found this clear the other day and i have heard good things-
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing%20Info.htm

SPI products, the stuff looks ok and i have read good things about it. The universal clear is 1 to 1 so thats 2 gallons sprayable and its much cheaper than the stuff you are looking into.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #5

That's what I use on all my stuff.. You won't be dissapointed, although there isn't much of a selection on basecoat.. Just a few factory pack colors..
1 Gallon of clear, and 1 Gallon of activator ends up being just over 180.
Go to www.spi.forumup.com for their user forum..
Old 07-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Do What Now?

I like Omni stuff I have had good luck with it. But I mostly have used it on interior pieces.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #7

Ok for reference here's one we just finished, Spi epoxy, Regular 2k primer, 2020 intercoat for a candy carrier, and the universal clearcoat.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
stone the crow...

hey mopar, hows spi's primer? I was looking at possibly trying some of there stuff out and its really not badly priced, i just would have to see how much shipping is since no one sells it locally.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 PM   #9

Yeah it's a small company and only in certain areas. It only grows by word of mouth, very very little advertising.
I actually came across it on a forum looking for some different products, I gave it a try and liked it.. Had a few other shops try it, and they liked it also, so I started stocking it for them,, next thing I know i'm getting into the paint business with a full line of products.. lol..

I had toad try some primer for me, he said he liked it.. I've had really good luck with it.. I use the turbo primer mostly, but just started using the regular 2k primers just recently as i'm getting cheaper and cheaper in my old age.. I haven't had any problems with that either.

Check out www.bakerpbe.com You can order it from them if no one is in your area, and you can also get most of your other supplies from them also.

I also tried to carry some other primer and clear lines but all my customers liked the spi stuff better, so i'm just sticking with that.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
stone the crow...

cool thanks man!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
drunk and bored

spi 2k primer rocks......sprays nice,dry sands nice......i can't wait till i have something to use the universal clear on
Old 07-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #12

I agree with these guys, however, what gun are you using to spray, and where are you spraying it?

If you have never sprayed before I would be cautious if you are NOT going to use a high solids clear. While the cheap stuff is...cheaper, I find it is also easier to run if you lay it on too thick, or hang around in one spot too long.

My advice is get a good gun to spray with and play around a bit with pressures and such. ..the OMNI stuff is cost effective but most of it doesn't cover worth a damn, just base/seal it with something like black or silver.

But i'd use the DT brand of reducers. This is the more expensive reducers, but if you decide to go with any of the more expensive high solids clears you won't have compatibility/reaction issues. I like the medium reducer or DT885, but I am an airbrush guy, so if I use anything too fast it just turns to dust in the air, cause it atomizes too quick.

good luck on the paint job.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #13

thanks, i will probably end up getting shop line. There is a local body guy that can get it for me really cheap like 40% off or something. He wanted me to get DBC but i cannot afford that. I figure shop line will do fine for my first full paint job and if i mess it up i won't have to pay too much to fix it. thanks guys.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #14

sweet truck ^^^ i really like the bottom color what is it?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:06 AM   #15

If you have never sprayed before I would be cautious if you are NOT going to use a high solids clear. While the cheap stuff is...cheaper, I find it is also easier to run if you lay it on too thick, or hang around in one spot too long.

My advice is get a good gun to spray with and play around a bit with pressures and such. ..the OMNI stuff is cost effective but most of it doesn't cover worth a damn, just base/seal it with something like black or silver.

Spi clears are high solids. Very high quality, but small company.

I'd stay away from omni if I were you..

The dt reducers are a high quality reducer to use in most bases, but don't use in a base that requires a reactive reducer.
It might be fine but if you have a problem you won't like it..

But I would say to go with shopline over omni from what i've been hearing it is better.
Plus it is actually a base instead of a converted enamel.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:26 AM   #16
drunk and bored

Quote: Originally Posted by LOPHAT
I agree with these guys, however, what gun are you using to spray, and where are you spraying it?

But i'd use the DT brand of reducers. This is the more expensive reducers, but if you decide to go with any of the more expensive high solids clears you won't have compatibility/reaction issues. I like the medium reducer or DT885, but I am an airbrush guy, so if I use anything too fast it just turns to dust in the air, cause it atomizes too quick.

good luck on the paint job.
yeah......good luck with this paint job,listening to this guy

keep it in the family!!!!!!

primer/base/clear////REDUCER...etc!

IDK what it is.....if you want a lasting paint job(even on a budget) keep it to one system!!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #17

He had me a little confused on that one toad.. Didnt' make the most sense to me..
but you do know that I have a hobby of mixing brands.. lol..
I can't remember the last paint job where I used one brand all the way through..
Old 07-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #18

I have been painting/airbrushing for over 15 yrs. I do NOT encourage mixing brands...however, with that said I have used Omni in the past, but mainly used DBC.

Our shop has been converted to DuPont-so it's what we use now. I have used DBC, DBU, Omni...etc, bla bla bla.

The ONLY constant in using Omni-or Shopline (i'm not familliar with Shopline, I am assuming it is ppg base also???) will be reducers-IF you go with a more expensive High Solids clear-like 2001 or something.

Yes keep it in the family, but I have used Omni bases, with DBC, 2001-2002 clears, using DT reducer as THE ONLY REDUCER all the way through, and NOT EVER had compatibility issues.

When you get into 8-12 color graphic jobs, I like using up old paint...(before it gets too old). And then pinstriping over open base, and not have any wrinkling-or re-activation issues...a single color should be a breeze.

I've never had problems...i'm just trying to let him know to stay within the PPG family for all his products. I prefer the DT reducer over the Omni reducer...that is all...sorry if I made that sound complicated, it wasn't my intention.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #19
drunk and bored

well....i got a few years over you and i've done the whole mix and match thing just like any other experienced painter

it's just not good to give out that kind of advice to INEXPERIENCED people as next thing you know they'll be using drr reducer in their clear because somebody said it was ok to mix and match on here.

keep this in mind......MOST people in this sub-forum have no clue about paint so when they ask questions they need to be sent down the proper path.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #20

That's the part I don't get? Where did I say to mix and match? Isn't OMNI made by PPG???

It IS the same family, so there is NO mix and match. What are you talking about?

Maybe I am missing something here, if so please explain, because I don't understand your rant?

I am by no means a smart ass know it all...holla back.

Last edited by LOPHAT; 07-22-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
drunk and bored

no they are not made by the same company........they are OWNED by the same company!

same with dupont/spies hecker/nason(there is another one)

house of kolor/valspar/tempo

ppg/shopline/omni/nexa

if you are so experienced i can't honestly believe i have to spell this out for you

why don't you go buy some ppg laquer thinner and reduce your ppg clear with it!

why not use ppg drr reducer in dbc? it's reducer isn't it?

are ya digging what i'm saying yet?

people please use the right products for the job
Old 07-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #22
drunk and bored

standox is the other company owned by dupont
Old 07-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #23

This is actually getting funny...have I stepped on the toes of the resident guru of paint?

Spare me your infinite knowledge in who owns Valspar, and who lives next door to the guy who buys their red pigment-and who does Carrot Top's landscaping. I know what works, and I know I didn't tell anyone to mix Lacquer with Enamel, so knock that crap off.

Answer me this then, what in my original post was incorrect?

If he uses DT reducer in all the products I mentioned, will he have adverse reactions?

DT IS the superior reducer and is the reducer of choice in DBC 2001/2002, K36 primer, NCP corrosion resistant primers etc. If the reducer is so crap, why is it compatible with so many of their high end product?

If in future he decides to paint something with DBC, he then has to go buy MORE reducer, cause MR reducer won't work. Why buy product you don't have to? This stuff isn't cheap, so IF he decides to go a different route later on, he has himself covered. That's all I was getting at, trying to save a person some cash, and offering my advice.

That's also all it was MY ADVICE, I didn't say-"do what I say or i'll come to your house and beat you with a paint stick! If he decides not to take my advice...what do I care?

I have no other question for you but this...(and then I personally will drop this, cause I have better things to do with my time)...

Will using Omni with DT reducer, and using 2000 series high solids clear screw up his paint job? That's it-answer that-no history lesson, nothing else but that.

I was under the assumption this was a FREE forum for folk to give advice. I didn't realize it was only advice Paint Toad deemed fit to broadcast over the internet.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #24

...in the end I know you were only looking out for Blazin24, and I can respect that. But chewing my head off for offering advice, and then mocking me is not a good way of resolving these kinds of issues.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #25
drunk and bored

see i saw this coming but it's only because you can not understand something i already tried to explain:

here: read it again

well....i got a few years over you and i've done the whole mix and match thing just like any other experienced painter

it's just not good to give out that kind of advice to INEXPERIENCED people as next thing you know they'll be using drr reducer in their clear because somebody said it was ok to mix and match on here.

keep this in mind......MOST people in this sub-forum have no clue about paint so when they ask questions they need to be sent down the proper path.

read it again until you understand it.......these fellas need to learn the right way first then down the road they can experiment mixing chemicals

i know exactly what you are saying....and there are occasions i use dt reducer in shopline will no ill effects.

i'm experienced

you are experienced

the ones asking the questions are not experienced

so if they have that once in a lifetime failure because they mix ed reducers .....who are they gonna come to?you or me?

so now we have a forum full of people that are going to start mixing reducers because you say you've had no problems when i've been working with these members for the last year trying to make them do things the right way.....

i don't know how you learned but i learned by the book.....hands on all day....books and articles all night

and i'm done whether you understand me or not

Last edited by Sir Toad; 07-22-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #26

Here...let me bow to the almighty paint toad..."ahh your majesty...you are correct and I am wrong...buy Omni and use MR reducer, and you will have no adverse reactions". "Oh my god LoPhat said it's ok to mix reducers/chemicals...dig that old Lacquer outa the cellar pa...we gonna mix it with gasoline!"

I am not retarded dude, I can understand what you are saying...did you see that I have agreed with you already in previous posts? And why are you still on that mixing laquer thinner crap with DBU? Grow up man, you sure you're 38?

If I offer advice, I am pretty sure these guys are smart enough to follow along if I give product desciption. The internet viewers were smart enough to turn on their computers wern't they?

You seem to think everyone is too stupid to follow simple directions, (and I noticed you didn't answer my question, but did spout off on another rant)...I guess cause I was right, and you can't bring yourself to admit that.

Kinda sucks that people can't just chat anymore over the internet without getting all e-pimp.

...take it easy Blazin24, I hope the paint job comes out tight, sorry your thread got hijacked...this kinda just got outa hand.

Last edited by LOPHAT; 07-22-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #27
your opinion sucks

Joe,

You bring the Junior Mints.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #28
drunk and bored

Quote: Originally Posted by casey53
Joe,

You bring the Junior Mints.

let me run to the lobby
Old 07-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #29

Quote: Originally Posted by paint toad

Good point on that one toad, You can mix it up just make sure you know what's being mixed..
heck when we did my brothers it had ppg, spi, sem, hok, and pro-spray.. and I wouldn't feel right telling a guy to stick with one company, but that is because almost every paint job I do has mixed brands..
If only spi came out with a mix bank I wouldn't have to do this anymore..

But I do see what you are saying about getting a guy in trouble when he see's ppg and it says reducer and it happens to be drr and he puts it in global or dbc..
Old 07-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #30

Quote: Originally Posted by paint toad
let me run to the lobby

Put it in a college town and i'll give a helping hand!!!!

I live in a town with about a population of 10, it get's boring around here.
me and toad behind the counter,, that would be scary..
Old 07-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #31

ok i am getting my paint on Friday. I am getting shop line everything.

1 gallon hip hop red 77120 1:1 with reducer
same with clear and a gallon of 2 k primer. Cost me just under $300.

The guy i am getting it threw does custom paint jobs and is currently working on a reg cab s10 that will be black with red and blue metallic, with a custom American flag on both bedsides with candy red,white, and blue. Should be a sweet ride.

He is also going to help me put black racing stripes on my truck, i will spray the base on the hood, cowl and tailgate, then he is going to lay out the stripes paint them black with metallic and i will put clear over that. Should be pretty sweet because the red is really bright. Tell me what you think
Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #32
Heavy Metal Body Man

my only beef with omni is that its kinda hit and miss with color, for example...

about 5 or 6 years ago i painted my 68 nova with omni, the color was GM code 21 "electron blue" came on the new vettes at the time, the color was beautiful when i was done, looked almost exactly like what it would have had i sprayed it with global...

but... just last summer we had a friend of the shop come in and wanted us to do the body work and paint his 70 skylark, he wanted this ford color... starfire red i think it was, loads of pearl in it, nice color, so when it came time to paint he seen the price of the global and decided against it and wanted to go for omni, which was much cheaper, normally this wouldnt be a problem because this was obviously a complete, and not collision where wed be blending and color match was critical... well... the omni version was so far off it wasnt even remotely close... the real color is a very deep ruby kinda of color with lots of pearl.... the omni version however, was this ugly creamy strawberry color with no pearl in it whatsoever.. we even had the guy mix it up again thinking he botched the pour, he didnt... that was omnis version of that color

needless to say we pitched the omni crap and went with global

sorry for the novel, but the old saying, "buyer beware" and "you get what you pay for" can be applied here, just to warn you, some colors omni is fine, others it is far from it

Last edited by Maverick2664; 07-23-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #33
drunk and bored

yeah the color matches suck with omni......shopline plus is a bit better but i would never use either for a 'spot' job where the match is crucial

like you said mav for a complete it will work and i remember silver sucking real bad to keep uniform(but not impossoble)

blazin....glad you have an experienced painter to help you out!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #34

Yeah i am grateful for having someone literally right around the block from where i am doing the work on the truck.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #35

Hey when you get going with it,, post us some pics so we can see how it looks..
good luck with your project..
Old 07-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #36

Don't worry i will get a project thread started for my paint. And will post some pics up in the paint thread.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #37

we'll be waiting..
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #38

Ok well at least its a start. I got the paint today, almost 300 dollars worth. I should have plenty left over in case i screw up. The body guy that i am dealing with said if i need help with anything like the stripes or spraying on the clear because he said its kind of tricky to just have him come over and he would help. Ok here are the supply pics, i am hoping to have my truck painted within the next 2 weeks.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #39
drunk and bored

yay,,,,,
Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #40
my truck is slow

sweeeet. always wished i knew how to paint, i would like to get started being im only 17 but i have no idea how to get started( my dad can paint, so can my uncle there both good, but ive never been able to learn a thing in my life from either of them) Is there like classes without going to college or taking a class at a school? i guess buy paint and try on an old fender or somethin?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #41

i had never painted before, I had the basic concept then started asking around on here and went and luckily found a local shop where i could talk to a painter and watch him paint. Now as long as i can get my truck painted i will be set. He said that spraying the base is just as easy as primer which i have had no problems with so clear will be my only obstical. He said even though he has 25 yrs experience the first few times he shot this particular clear it ran on him.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #42

A lot of painters have a hard time switching between clears.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 AM   #43
drunk and bored

Quote: Originally Posted by mopar978
yep!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:59 AM   #44
Heavy Metal Body Man

lol yup me too
Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #45

At one time I didn't have that problem because the shop I worked for used a different clear every other week, but now i've been sticking to one clear and not painting as much so i'd prolly mess it all up if i switched now.. lol..
Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #46
drunk and bored

At one time I didn't have that problem because the shop I worked for used a different clear every other week, but now i've been sticking to one clear and not painting as much so i'd prolly mess it all up if i switched now.. lol..

but you are a salesman....not a painter,so it's understandable.....

i'd love to see any salesman perform in the booth....time after time after time...etc.

Last edited by Sir Toad; 07-30-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #47

Bahhhh.. i'll show you salesman...

I haven't done any sales work in at least a month.. That is what my salesman does.. lol... I learned really fast that sales are not my thing... Every time i go out,, i go right to the resto/custom shops so that way I have something interesting to look at.. lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.