How to use Naval Jelly?? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How to use Naval Jelly??

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
How to use Naval Jelly??

I have a 91' Blazer im trying to clean up for my mom. It will be used to go to the grocery store and stuff. There is plenty of little rust areas, some are really light and came out easy with sandpaper, but others are pitted and sandpaper wont get down into the pits. I have naval jelly, steel wool, wire brushes and sandpaper already, and I want to know the correct way to making naval jelly work. I tried it on one area, I applied the naval jelly and rubbed steel wool over everything, let it set for a couple minutes and wiped it off. Then applied another coat and did the same thing. It cleans up nice, but there is still black pits in the metal.
Am I doing it wrong?? Are the black pits bad, or does the naval jelly seal them and stop the rust??
Any other CHEAP methods to remove rust in the pits??
Old 03-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #2

Re: How to use Naval Jelly??

Anyone?? I want to work on this truck when I get off work at 3. I want to make sure I am doing it right so the rust doesn't pop back through the paint.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Zebra Truck

I've experienced first hand and been told by experts that steel wool is a huge NO NO.

It sets off a chemical reaction which can never be undone, it will cause far more rust down the road than you can imagine.

Sorry, wish I could say something nice about it.

RE: Black pits
Two kinds of Naval jelly, one turns rust black, the other white. The directions I've read say to leave the stubborn rust, just knock off the lose stuff. The chemical reaction needs rust, not bare fresh metal to react with.

One large hole I did never rusted again over four years ago. I was able to get behind it, which helped. The whole area turned black, and I spray painted it black (black car).

Last edited by kach22i; 03-09-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Heavy Metal Body Man

get or borrow one of those handheld sandblasters, thats is the only way to stop the rust from forming again in those pits, if you dont get it all out you run the risk of it coming back
Old 03-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Zebra Truck

Quote: Originally Posted by Maverick2664
get or borrow one of those handheld sandblasters, thats is the only way to stop the rust from forming again in those pits, if you dont get it all out you run the risk of it coming back
I know this forum is fairly black and white on rust issues, but let's look at the gray on this one. It's not a down to the frame restoration, he's just trying to get a little more life out of a rusty 1991 Blazer. If he has to redo this vehicle in five years by covering over rust with naval jelly and paint now, what's the big deal?

If this were an early year Camaro it might be different.

Sorry that I'm not as truck crazy as most of you guys, please don't hold it against me.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #6

Oh chit, well I guess I will stop with the steel wool. I was readying a artical a while back on a different website, a well known body work guy over on www.hotrod.com I think was the website.... anyways he used steel wool with the naval jelly.

I have a suction fed sandblaster in the garage, I just have never really used it. I have read all the bad it can do to your lungs and I don't want that. Unless there is a media I can buy close around here that is very safe I think I want to skip that route.

Kach22i is right on the money, its not a restoration, just looking to clean it up a bit so it doesn't look like a POS, we will only be keeping it for 3-4 years max. The truck already has 200,000 miles on her, but the compression is great, and the tranny shifts better then my blazer . Its going to get another paint job, probably done my me, but I want to make sure the rust wont come back through the paint in a year.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #7

i dont know to much about blasters but i would imagine with a face mask or a respirator it wouldnt do you any harm and sense you have one that is technically the best way to do it. but nobody (except toad god) follows the rules all the time. so sanding as best as you can and maybe like a cone shaped wire wheel will get the most of it and then clean it shoot it and have fun with it
Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #8

id use por15 on the bare rust/steel,prime, and then touchup paint overtop.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by wrk n' progres
i dont know to much about blasters but i would imagine with a face mask or a respirator it wouldnt do you any harm and sense you have one that is technically the best way to do it. but nobody (except toad god) follows the rules all the time. so sanding as best as you can and maybe like a cone shaped wire wheel will get the most of it and then clean it shoot it and have fun with it
SO far I have used naval jelly and its working ok, just takes a LONG ass time. I have to sand my ass of to get all of the rust off except for in the pits, apply the jelly, let sit, wipe off, sand, repeat. Its working....but really slow and some spots seep to never go away. I am just afraid of the silica in the media, I don't want to die from it, and my paint respirator might not filter it out. I have Eastwoods Rust encapsulator (like POR) I had used on my truck a while back, but its old and clogs the nozzle. So I just have no idea what route to go right now, I want the cheapest route, but I also want it to work.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
Heavy Metal Body Man

Quote: Originally Posted by kach22i
I know this forum is fairly black and white on rust issues, but let's look at the gray on this one. It's not a down to the frame restoration, he's just trying to get a little more life out of a rusty 1991 Blazer. If he has to redo this vehicle in five years by covering over rust with naval jelly and paint now, what's the big deal?

If this were an early year Camaro it might be different.

Sorry that I'm not as truck crazy as most of you guys, please don't hold it against me.
i never said anything about a restoration, i read and understood the original post quite well, but just scratching at rust with some sand paper will not stop it from coming back in less than a year... how is spending 10 minutes with a small handheld sandblaster considered "taking it too seriously"

as for the health hazard concern, its called silicosis, and sand with a high silica content at a prolonged exposure (im talking years) will cause damage, wear a respirator if youre concerned or use play sand... or even baking soda if youre that worried about it
Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #11

i never said anything about a restoration, i read and understood the original post quite well, but just scratching at rust with some sand paper will not stop it from coming back in less than a year... how is spending 10 minutes with a small handheld sandblaster considered "taking it too seriously"

as for the health hazard concern, its called silicosis, and sand with a high silica content at a prolonged exposure (im talking years) will cause damage, wear a respirator if youre concerned or use play sand... or even baking soda if youre that worried about it
I know that quote wasn't intended to me, but I sand off all the rust off of the surface, its only in the very small pinhole sized pits I can not get into. I do not want to sandblast, mainly due to the fact that I do not have a respirator for it.

Besides sandblasting, is there anyway to get into the pits?? I have tred naval jelly and it works but takes forever, wire brushing doesn't do a dang thing. Obviously I cant sand it out.... any types of converters or some other different method?? I don't care what it does as long as it stops the rust from coming back through for 4 years
Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
Heavy Metal Body Man

well, sand blasting is the only permanent solution, the next best thing would be a wire wheel, or one of those purple 3M "clean and strip" discs, those work pretty well
Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Zebra Truck

well, sand blasting is the only permanent solution, the next best thing would be a wire wheel, or one of those purple 3M "clean and strip" discs, those work pretty well
That's a good idea, will not leave micro fibers of steel wool embedded which will only rust later.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
drunk and bored

i have used metal conditioner with steel wool for YEARS...steel wool is fine to use......but sandblasting is the only way to get into the pits....and don't use play sand,it holds ALOT more moisture than silica sand...go buy a respirator,you need it if you are gonna play around with bodywork
Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Zebra Truck

Quote: Originally Posted by paint toad
i have used metal conditioner with steel wool for YEARS...
Maybe it's never use steel wool alone then.

Perhaps the conditioner/naval jelly neutralizes the lose strands which never 100% leave.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by paint toad
i have used metal conditioner with steel wool for YEARS...steel wool is fine to use......but sandblasting is the only way to get into the pits....and don't use play sand,it holds ALOT more moisture than silica sand...go buy a respirator,you need it if you are gonna play around with bodywork
I have two questions for ya PaintToad,
1.What kind of sand would be ideal for this? Hopefully something with a low silica content.
2. What kind of respirator and filter would be good?? Again I don't want to die in 10-20 years finding out its from sandblasting a stupid truck. Same style respirator as the one I paint with right.... I can just switch filters (its the dual filter type).

Also if I blast with walnut shell and a respirator, I should be safe right??

Last edited by Brandon H.; 03-11-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #17
Heavy Metal Body Man

Quote: Originally Posted by Brandon H.
I have two questions for ya PaintToad,
1.What kind of sand would be ideal for this? Hopefully something with a low silica content.
2. What kind of respirator and filter would be good?? Again I don't want to die in 10-20 years finding out its from sandblasting a stupid truck. Same style respirator as the one I paint with right.... I can just switch filters (its the dual filter type).

Also if I blast with walnut shell and a respirator, I should be safe right??
a few minutes of blasting is hardly anything to be worried about, only workers that are around silica dust constantly (years and years of exposure) have a chance to devolope silicosis... i read some study that showed out of 2 million workers that had prolonged exposure to silica dust, only around 3% had silicosis... youre blasting a few rust spots... get your panties out of a twist

as far as respirators go, 3M has a disposable dual charcoal cartridge respirator for really cheap, i want to say $30 or so... its more than enough to handle what youre doing

in my opinion... if youre this worried about health hazards... then bodywork is not for you, from the time i wake up in the morning to the time i go to sleep im exposed to some kind of health risk... i wouldnt be surprised if i dont live a day past 60, and honestly, it doesnt bother me
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #18
drunk and bored

josh answered the questions perfectly
Old 03-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #19

a few minutes of blasting is hardly anything to be worried about, only workers that are around silica dust constantly (years and years of exposure) have a chance to devolope silicosis... i read some study that showed out of 2 million workers that had prolonged exposure to silica dust, only around 3% had silicosis... youre blasting a few rust spots... get your panties out of a twist

as far as respirators go, 3M has a disposable dual charcoal cartridge respirator for really cheap, i want to say $30 or so... its more than enough to handle what youre doing

in my opinion... if youre this worried about health hazards... then bodywork is not for you, from the time i wake up in the morning to the time i go to sleep im exposed to some kind of health risk... i wouldnt be surprised if i dont live a day past 60, and honestly, it doesnt bother me
Alrighty then, thanks man. I just didn't know because I have never sandblasted. On some websites it says that being exposed even once to that stuff can give you silicosis. I just wanted to play it safe. In that case I will look around for that respirator u listed. I don't care that much much about the health hazzards of other stuff, just that. But now I know its ok.

This is the third vehicle I will be painting, but the first with rust that was pitted. SO I just wanted to know the right way to do this, and with the right protection. I think im done after this and will stick to building my motor and such. and leave painting to the pro's...cause it isn't as fun as I thought
Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #20

I blasted the bottom edges and corners of my doors and rear 1/4 panels of the bed by myself without any mask. Just hold your breath and do some quick blasts. It is the definite answer to getting to bare metal with the least amount of work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.