Homemade tonneau cover - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Homemade tonneau cover

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #1

Homemade tonneau cover

has anyone tried to make their own tonneau cover, probably a bad idea?
Old 06-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Totally Confused

User is: OffLine
Re: homemade tonneau cover

I havent but i'd be interested......all you need would be some sheet metal, some kind of lightweight tubing and a welder.....or fibreglass a frame of some kind....hmm have to think about that
Old 06-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Roadrunner=Chicken

Just need plywood, fiberglass, hinges, rubber gasketing, heavy gas hood props and a lock or 2. Fiberglass to protect and seal wood and allow for a good painting surface and you can imagine what the rest would be for. Would not be cheap but you could make it to look how you want.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
is a fungineer

I was going to make one with either square tube or angle for a frame with sheet aluminum over the top, but I bought one instead. =P A flush-mount design would be a cool cover to build though.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
xplicit kustoms

i was planning on making on from a sheet of plexi glass but having some trouble finding someplace that will have it big enough around here
Old 06-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #6

make it a 2 part tonneau then with hinge in center
Old 06-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #7

i dont have pics anymore but i built one out or alum. i used 1" square tube and made a frame to fit inside my box then skinned it with sheet alum...then wrapped it in white vinal cus the truck was white...and like already said used hood props and hinges and a lock...workes awesome...i wanna build one for my noma if i do ill get pics and do a how to...
Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #8

i made my own. all i used was a 4'x10' piece of wood, some 2''x1''x1'' piece of wood "rails" and a piano hinge. i cut it to fit the truck, and coated the underside of it w/ thompsons waterseal, and i coated the top with undercoat (NOTE: DONT put the waterseal on the top then coat it with undercoating, it will rub off very easy.) just be sure to use a soft undercoating, hard ones wont flex with the wood and it'll crack. you kinda have to figure out your own way to clamp it down. i just used a sort of l-shaped block of wood and ran a bolt through the top of the cover. for the part up near the cab, i made a sort of wedge so it will slide into place with the inclining surface near the cab (just take a look at it and you'll know what i'm talking about) so basically all you can see on top is the hinge and the 4 bolts holding it down, easy to get at & take off, i can do it completely by myself and i dont have to climb into the bed to do it.

i didnt use fiberglass because it would have to be put on VERY thick. otherwise the wood will flex and crack the fiberglass. the undercoating works just fine, and if you put it on thick enough you cant even tell it's wood.

pics:

i rounded & cut the edges so it wouldnt hang off the edge of the truck, now it looks like cake!

edit- came up to be <$100 too, cheaper than soft tops.

Last edited by spaz100; 06-11-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
The doctor is in...

A checkmate is pretty cheap.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:05 AM   #10
Wondersmith

do u have any pics of the inside of yours spaz? like how it was mounted?
Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
joining 2.2l boosted club

wow this is an old thread
Old 06-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #12

I know this is an old thread but I just finished my cover. It is 1" foam framed with cedar. It is attached to the bed with 2 thumb screws and 2 pins for easy removal. It is covered with padding and the black naugahyde. It is lifted with 2 18" actuators wired to a wireless remote located in the cab. The actuators came from www.firgellauto.com You can check out a video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HSCx8l93kw or pictures at www.crownmycar.com search for pickle .
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade tonneau cover-f1.jpg   Homemade tonneau cover-f2.jpg   Homemade tonneau cover-f3.jpg   Homemade tonneau cover-f4.jpg  
Old 06-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #13

Address for actuators was incorrect. it is:
http://www.firgelliauto.com
Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #14

I've built two home made tonneau covers with fiberglass. One on a one off the line International Harvester C-900 ONE ton shortbox, stepside, pick-em-up-truck. I built it to go over the siderails of the box, to totally enclose it. It's the first one I built. The second was on my '48 Ford F-1 Pro-Street shortbox, stepside half ton pick-up truck. Again in fiberglass. It's quite easy. If you go to any car parts store, they sell all the products you need to form fiberglass. Laying the glass is the easiest part, forming it with a grinder, and sander takes much longer. If anyone is interested in seeing a finished product picture, you can write me at : Streetrodder@aol.com, and I'll get you a picture............thanks , COOTER
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #15
Tech Mod

Quote: Originally Posted by Jack Williams
I know this is an old thread but I just finished my cover. It is 1" foam framed with cedar. It is attached to the bed with 2 thumb screws and 2 pins for easy removal. It is covered with padding and the black naugahyde. It is lifted with 2 18" actuators wired to a wireless remote located in the cab. The actuators came from www.firgellauto.com You can check out a video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HSCx8l93kw or pictures at www.crownmycar.com search for pickle .

sorry but i was just laughing at the idea of using 1" foam as a tonneau cover, but now that i look at it you really cant tell.

Last edited by beandip; 12-07-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
Better post-em.

i made my own outa plywood. ill see if i cna dig up a pic or two.

well dont have one of it closed... have 2 with it open

used regular hinges, sheet of 3/8" plywood

some 1X3 strips for support underneath

some aluminum C channel around the edge

a hood pin kit and 1 small locks to lock it to make it somewhat secure.

as you can see it kinda folds up over the cab, still allows the doors to be open
BUT i did find out the hard way you cannot use the wipers with it open lol.

i can remove it its attached to the bedrail by 4 carrage bolts.

^^^ can kinda see it

Last edited by comics22; 12-08-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
Varides.com

I like Jack Williams
idea , only thing i would do different is maybe re-enforce it with some 1/4 inch plywood underneath.

Hey jack williams, check you pm. I have a few questions.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by Stehl
I like Jack Williams
idea , only thing i would do different is maybe re-enforce it with some 1/4 inch plywood underneath.

Hey jack williams, check you pm. I have a few questions.
Just got back to Forum. I used cedar for the frame and a cedar board to connect the 2 pieces of foam. This is where I connected the accuators. I'm building a boat now and I would probably use fiberglass over the foam.
www.youtube.com/woodmanjack1 Thanks
Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #19

I made one for my truck with an aluminum "C" channel screwed to the inside of each bed rail and to plywood panels that slide into them. I bought some toneau material from an upholstery shop and stapled it over the ply wood. I put a locking tailgate handle on it and it works and looks great. Since i used two panels they are easy to handle and i can lay them down flat inside the bed if i don't want the cover on. Just make sure to seal everything up real good... mine is dam near waterproof.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #20
Better post-em.

Quote: Originally Posted by andyvan88
I made one for my truck with an aluminum "C" channel screwed to the inside of each bed rail and to plywood panels that slide into them. I bought some toneau material from an upholstery shop and stapled it over the ply wood. I put a locking tailgate handle on it and it works and looks great. Since i used two panels they are easy to handle and i can lay them down flat inside the bed if i don't want the cover on. Just make sure to seal everything up real good... mine is dam near waterproof.
would you mind posting up pics? i like your idea but havin a hard time picturing it.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #21

Here's mine done about a year ago. no leaks or problems. Made with 5/8 "kresson" Plywood..Its Standard plywood with a fiberglass lining Alluminium "g-trim" all around for finishing ang reinforced with alluminium t bar =D total cost about 150$
Homemade tonneau cover-dscf0003.jpg

Homemade tonneau cover-dscf0007.jpg

Homemade tonneau cover-dscf0008.jpg

Homemade tonneau cover-dscf0010.jpg
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #22
Ridin' on Twankies

^^looks good.

but damn,you need to lower that thing.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #23

Ya i know. im thinkin about 3/4 drop + 16" iroc-z rims also need a new paint Those pics are old. Now have 98+ s-10 Grille =D
Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
m4d l473

Meijers in Westerville off of Polaris ave. has a soft tonneau cover on clearance for 64.99 for an s-10.

I picked mine up there, just thought I'd put it out there.

-Rob
Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #25

take a big piece of fleece like blanket material i recommend close to the color that you are going to paint it cover a piece of wood the size of the top of you bed use fiberglass resin to harden the fleece and protect the wood place hinges and lock then ta da you have a cheap bed cover for under 100 that can be smoothed and painted just like the ones that they sell you can also add weather stripping to seal it onto the bed and have a water proof cover to protect the contents of your bed its the same as making a custom sub woofer box

Last edited by Jeff_R; 03-12-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #26
Forum Dictator

Re: Homemade tonneau cover

Moved.

I didn't realize how old but it's still useful with pics.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #27

I made one awhile back.I had a black vinal one with the old velcro strips that held it in place.I made a L bracket that ran the length of the bed on both sides and fastened it down 3/4 of an inch to make the plywood flush .Then I cut my old vinal up contact cemented it down.thats it looked great too.no pics tho but very easy
Old 03-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #28
poop

Quote: Originally Posted by ka_jd7and1
I was going to make one with either square tube or angle for a frame with sheet aluminum over the top, but I bought one instead. =P A flush-mount design would be a cool cover to build though.
I've thought about making one like this, If i did it, id rivet the sheet of aluminium to the top and scuff it to give it a brushed look.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #29
4FX

Try using balsa core. build a jig/pan lay down 2 layers of cloth then two layers of mat lay in the balsa core then 2 and 2 with the cloth on the outside. I have built molds and produced engine hatche for a few offshore boats, with people some big walking all other them. with this layup should be about 65-80 lbs. using 1807 and 1708 weight cloth and mat. also gelcoated them

here' a couple that I've made
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade tonneau cover-22574_5-2-.jpg   Homemade tonneau cover-img014.jpg   Homemade tonneau cover-img015.jpg  

Last edited by 4FX; 03-20-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #30
4FX

couple more. These all cost me about $200-400 to build bepending on size and the addition of scoops. hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade tonneau cover-29042_4.jpg   Homemade tonneau cover-29042_5.jpg  
Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #31

Quote: Originally Posted by Jack Williams

Nice job !!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #32
rolling work in progress

if you can weld maybe you could use a few sticks of L shaped metal for sides to sit plush with the bed, make a frame in between, then put a piece of sheet metal on top.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #33
Professional Insultant

I think it was on these forum that someone made it out of left over Vinyl fencing. Sat flush in the bedsides. Would need work to be water tight.

Last edited by TokoDragon; 08-18-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #34

Like this one?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #35
No More SS

Quote: Originally Posted by jds_truck
make it a 2 part tonneau then with hinge in center
I had a friend in High School that made one for his Toyota out of plywood. It was hinged in the middle. He covered it in black vinyl. I wish I knew how he mounted it. It was flush and looked really good.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #36

Quote: Originally Posted by Acexofxspade
Here's mine done about a year ago. no leaks or problems. Made with 5/8 "kresson" Plywood..Its Standard plywood with a fiberglass lining Alluminium "g-trim" all around for finishing ang reinforced with alluminium t bar =D total cost about 150$

hi, is it cheaper if will make a homemade tonneau cover than purchasing it? i haven't try making one because i think it will require a lot of time making this but im still interested...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.