HOK Kandy Apple Red - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

HOK Kandy Apple Red

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
LS6 S10

User is: OffLine
HOK Kandy Apple Red

Anybody have any experience with this paint? I was at Autorama this weekend and there was this 63 Impala painted in Kandy Apple Red, and I when I saw it. Just when I thought I had everything planed out for my paint job, I think I'm going to change color again . I was going to go with a Light Toreador Met. but this stuff looks so much better, plus its alot cheaper than the PPG stuff I was going to get.

If someone has used this stuff before and would like to post up pics, be my guest.
Anyway, what is everyone's opinion on this paint?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
Custom Painter

Re: HOK Kandy Apple Red

This color looks awsome. HOK makes very nice Kandy's. The only downsides to me is that they are a little more difficult to spray and very difficult to repair if it gets chipped or damaged. PPG might not equal the brilliance of HOK kandy red but it is much easier to apply and much much easier to spot in if it ever gets damaged.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 AM   #3
Banned

HOK kandys are nice to look at, but they can be a PITA to repair, but so can any good paint job. . . so the HOK is cheaper than the PPG? . . .is it cheaper all the way around, or is just the Kandy cheaper than the PPG base ? . . . i thought a kandy paint job would be more expensive, i mean you got the base, the kandy, then the clear, right? . . . the PPG is just the base and the clear isn't it? . . . i dunno, so i'm just curious about that
Old 03-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
Custom Painter

depends on what paint u get. ppg can be pricey, and sometimes just a base/clear job is cheaper in hok. going ppg for a kandy job can be more the hok for a kandy job. a buddy of mine said ppg has a gold base for a candy that is more then a 1000 a gallon!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
LS6 S10

Quote: Originally Posted by rmoore911
HOK kandys are nice to look at, but they can be a PITA to repair, but so can any good paint job. . . so the HOK is cheaper than the PPG? . . .is it cheaper all the way around, or is just the Kandy cheaper than the PPG base ? . . . i thought a kandy paint job would be more expensive, i mean you got the base, the kandy, then the clear, right? . . . the PPG is just the base and the clear isn't it? . . . i dunno, so i'm just curious about that

Are they really that difficult to shoot? I was going to have my dad paint it, he's painted cars before but it's been a few years (15 years).

According to the HOK website, the base is cheaper than PPG's base per gallon. I didn't price everything though, just the base.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
LS6 S10

I just checked the quote I got again on my PPG paint,

PPG base is about 500 bucks a gallon.

The HOK kandy base is less than 150 a gallon.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
LS6 S10

I'm an idiot. I just looked it up again, and its 186.xx for the Kandy's per gallon.

Just incase nobody knows what this color looks like, here's a pic.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #8

damn..that seems cheap for a red
Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #9

thats just for the kandy though, u also have to figure in the cost of the base coat that goes under the candy to compare it to the price of the ppg base you were goin to go with might be about the same once all said and done.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:56 AM   #10

Darn. That car is RED isn't it ? Nice.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 AM   #11

I saw that car this weekend at COBO it was nice. I have video from the show also with that car in it i think.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #12
LS6 S10

Quote: Originally Posted by xtreme6dblr
thats just for the kandy though, u also have to figure in the cost of the base coat that goes under the candy to compare it to the price of the ppg base you were goin to go with might be about the same once all said and done.

That makes more sense now.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
Cluck, click, boom!

Quote: Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9
Are they really that difficult to shoot? I was going to have my dad paint it, he's painted cars before but it's been a few years (15 years).

According to the HOK website, the base is cheaper than PPG's base per gallon. I didn't price everything though, just the base.

as long as he walks the truck it will be ok. some painters will go panel to panel and kandys will build up around edges-making it dark along the edges
Old 03-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #14
S-Clusive's Jester

ive never sprayed kandy b4 cuz im scared too haha. you cant go panel to panel you have to run down the entire length of the car otherwise you will get lines. not something im ready to tackle jsut yet
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
bodydropped member

you can change the color of the end result by using different bases like silver(orion silver) will produce the brightest/red-est red and say red base(cinder red) still makes a cool color just darker and so on from there the maroon base(meter maroon) makes one awesome color too and remember to walk the length of the car while painting and lastly silver is the hardest base to use because it stripes extremely easily and using more kandy to cover the silver to make it red like you want and ever coat of kandy you put on it will make it darker, deep, and rich. and no two kandys are the same NEVER! and if you scratch the paint and need to repaint the panel on the truck you have to repaint the whole truck to get the color to match.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:13 AM   #16
Custom Painter

Quote: Originally Posted by 5spdsdime
you can change the color of the end result by using different bases like silver(orion silver) will produce the brightest/red-est red and say red base(cinder red) still makes a cool color just darker and so on from there the maroon base(meter maroon) makes one awesome color too and remember to walk the length of the car while painting and lastly silver is the hardest base to use because it stripes extremely easily and using more kandy to cover the silver to make it red like you want and ever coat of kandy you put on it will make it darker, deep, and rich. and no two kandys are the same NEVER! and if you scratch the paint and need to repaint the panel on the truck you have to repaint the whole truck to get the color to match.

i call bullshit on the repaint. if ur good u can actually blend the candy. ive seen it done and its on a video. jon kosmoski himself does a BLEND ON THE PANEL not the whole sides not the whole complete but just 1 panel and blends it for a non detectable blend!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 AM   #17
Custom Painter

Quote: Originally Posted by sik_kreations_951
i call bullshit on the repaint. if ur good u can actually blend the candy. ive seen it done and its on a video. jon kosmoski himself does a BLEND ON THE PANEL not the whole sides not the whole complete but just 1 panel and blends it for a non detectable blend!
I dont care who does it it still will be hard. $186 for a gallon sounds cheap but you still have to buy hardner and reducer. Wait till you see the price for a quart of hardner.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #18
drunk and bored

orion silver is the easiest silver i have ever sprayed.....

repainting the whole truck to get a color match is also complete bullshit...

either put the shit in your gun before your give advice about it or don't give advice

oh....bullshit on '''no two kandies are the same''' also

Last edited by Sir Toad; 03-14-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:12 AM   #19
Custom Painter

i call bullshit on joe's bullshit, even joes bullshit is more entertaining then the stuff people on here come up with. serious tho, joe has probably sprayed more kandy then anyone, and id tip my hat or shake hands with ANYONE who can blend a kandy on a panel, i have MAD respect for any painter who can do that. They might say what i do is hard, but i will always say that is harder then half the stuff i do.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #20
Custom Painter

I have a question joe, y is it that some polyprimers say that u should not use over etch, but some dont? is it the same as not spraying wet coats over body filler?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #21
LS6 S10

Look what I started

So how much paint would you say I would need to paint a RCSB s10, inside hood, inner fenders, inside box etc.

I read it only should take a gallon. Do you mean a gallon of base, so it would be 2 gallons of sprayable paint?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #22
LS6 S10

I was also reading that you can use HOK silver metallic sealer as a basecoat instead of sealing then using a Shimrin silver base.

Painting in a line shouldn't be a problem. I would have to paint the inside of everything first, plus the firewall, back of the cab, front of the box, and tailgate would have to be painted first. Then I could do a walk the side painting it.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #23
drunk and bored

I have a question joe, y is it that some polyprimers say that u should not use over etch, but some dont? is it the same as not spraying wet coats over body filler?
i have no idea......but as a rule....don't spray over etch.....i never have and have never had a problem

and yeah....pulling off a kandy repair within a panel is a LARGE accomplishment...
Old 03-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #24
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL

I was also reading that you can use HOK silver metallic sealer as a basecoat instead of sealing then using a Shimrin silver base.

Painting in a line shouldn't be a problem. I would have to paint the inside of everything first, plus the firewall, back of the cab, front of the box, and tailgate would have to be painted first. Then I could do a walk the side painting it.
Believe it or not they suggest painting the jams with a KK right after the kandy goes on. I have always done the opposite and it seems to work for me but I'm only doing the bottom of tanks and what not.

Keep in mind there are 2... Actually 3 variations of kandy.

UK is a true kandy that is catalyzed and has UV protection above and beyond just clear it self. It helps to keep it from fading. They use more UV additive then other companies out there. It also uses KU100 or KU 151 catalyst so make sure you add that in there. 2 to 1 I believe which can get pricey..... Not to mention it does take some practice to put this on. I'd also suggest a booth for spraying UKs.

KBCs are just a mix of tents, pearls and metallics to mimic the look of a true kandy but the depth is not there. I'd suggest using this as a mid coat (Like that Toad... I didn’t call it a base coat ) before you put down a UK. It may be a bit harder to see the UK going down but it will help out a lot for striping. You can also tent your under coat (Like silver sealer) with a KK to get the color closer.

KKs are tents that you can add to a clear or inner clear to do none critical parts that are not in the sun like trunks and door jams.... it will save you a few bucks.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #25
LS6 S10

Quote: Originally Posted by Burton
Believe it or not they suggest painting the jams with a KK right after the kandy goes on. I have always done the opposite and it seems to work for me but I'm only doing the bottom of tanks and what not.

Keep in mind there are 2... Actually 3 variations of kandy.

UK is a true kandy that is catalyzed and has UV protection above and beyond just clear it self. It helps to keep it from fading. They use more UV additive then other companies out there. It also uses KU100 or KU 151 catalyst so make sure you add that in there. 2 to 1 I believe which can get pricey..... Not to mention it does take some practice to put this on. I'd also suggest a booth for spraying UKs.

KBCs are just a mix of tents, pearls and metallics to mimic the look of a true kandy but the depth is not there. I'd suggest using this as a mid coat (Like that Toad... I didn’t call it a base coat ) before you put down a UK. It may be a bit harder to see the UK going down but it will help out a lot for striping. You can also tent your under coat (Like silver sealer) with a KK to get the color closer.

KKs are tents that you can add to a clear or inner clear to do none critical parts that are not in the sun like trunks and door jams.... it will save you a few bucks.

Hmm...maybe I should just go with Black.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #26
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL

Hmm...maybe I should just go with Black.

, Nah its really just a matter of reading the tech manuals and know the product. Most of the bad paint jobs I see are because of a tech problem.... You will be fine just take your time and keep every step in your head when shooting. Check lists can help.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #27
LS6 S10

Thanks for all the replies guys.

So how does this sound: I know it won't look like the picture above, but if its close I would be happy.

Prep:
HOK Chromate Free Epoxy Primer-1 gallon

Ground Coat:
HOK KO-Seal ll Sealer - 1 gallon silver metallic

Base Coat:
HOK KBC Shimirin Kandy Apple Red- 6 quarts

Top Coat:
HOK Polyurethane Flo-Klear-1 gallon

Reducer-2 gallons

Catalyst-5 quarts

Primer = 55.60+43.96=$99.56
Sealer = $137.15
Base = 46.79x6= $280.74
Top = $157.94

Reducer= $89.82
Catalyst= $199.11

So this is just a really rough estimate= $964.32
Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #28
bodydropped member

Quote: Originally Posted by paint toad

orion silver is the easiest silver i have ever sprayed.....

repainting the whole truck to get a color match is also complete bullshit...

either put the shit in your gun before your give advice about it or don't give advice

oh....bullshit on '''no two candies are the same''' also
ok look here you arrogant dick the guy i worked for who which all we did when i worked for him what paint donks always told me that you cant blend a candy and that silver is the hardest to spray over because it stripes easy and there is no way two candies can be the same because there are over 500 colors you can make with the bases and candies you can even mix the candies together and i all depends on how many coats you put on it and your spray technique.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #29
Ex-Import Lover

ok look here you arrogant dick the guy i worked for who which all we did when i worked for him what paint donks always told me that you cant blend a candy and that silver is the hardest to spray over because it stripes easy and there is no way two candies can be the same because there are over 500 colors you can make with the bases and candies you can even mix the candies together and i all depends on how many coats you put on it and your spray technique.

your a book of knowledge at age 19.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #30
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL

The guy has his points but when you are using a "stock out of the can" candy its always the same... at least so close we cant tell. Now trying to match a kandy that you didnt shoot or one that was custom mixed could be a lot more tricky.

He also has a point about the silver stripes but then again if you stripe silver then you shouldn't be doing candy to begin with. Silver will stripe and might be harder then lets say a grey primer but it flows real nice and covers very well for a metallic (If shot correctly).
Old 03-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #31

MY PPG victory red base was like $280 a quart......
Old 03-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #32
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL

So how does this sound: I know it won't look like the picture above, but if its close I would be happy.

Prep:

Ground Coat:

Base Coat:

Top Coat:

Reducer-2 gallons

Catalyst-5 quarts

Sealer = $137.15
Base = 46.79x6= $280.74
Top = $157.94

Reducer= $89.82
Catalyst= $199.11

Yeah, paint isnt cheap thats why I laugh when people bitch about the price of paint jobs.

I ran a quick quote off of Coast airbrush's website. The total ended up being 772.60 shipped. But thats with KU-150 catalyst (Not sure which you can use) and I used UC35 clear instead of the flow clear. Flow clear is great but the UC35 will build a bit better and if you over reduce just a bit (Check manual) you can get to flow out on the last coat or 2. Plus it gives you more room to color sand the nibs and junk out without going down too far.

Oh and dont forget about your pre and post sanding cleaners.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #33
drunk and bored

you know....i am arrogant.....i am also fully confident in my knowledge and abilites...

at no point in that post was i being an arrogant dick...i was stating fact,nothing else.....

you are being fed shitty information by someone that has,obviously,little more experience than you.....so based on that,until you have 15+ years behind the gun yourself....you can just hush!

Last edited by Sir Toad; 03-16-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #34
Custom Painter

go watch the house of kolor video with kosmoski where he fixes paint jobs, he blends a black, a sliver, a kameleaon i believe, and then u guessed it A ****ING KANDY ON THE GODDAMN PANEL, and ur dumbass is gunna ****ing sit there and say bullshit cuz ur donked out dumbass of a boss, doesnt know shit, and u can tell him that proof is on video, and he needs to get better before he thinks he knows his shit! lol
Old 03-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #35
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL

Old 03-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #36
Custom Painter

Prep:

Ground Coat:

Base Coat:

Top Coat:

Reducer-2 gallons

Catalyst-5 quarts

Sealer = $137.15
Base = 46.79x6= $280.74
Top = $157.94

Reducer= $89.82
Catalyst= $199.11

i bet i could cut the cost of that price down, u dont need the silver sealer, ur not doing a true kandy, get white sealer instead of silver, then buy a can of kk apple red to tint your sealer to help cut down on the coats, then u can also get away with cutting a quart out of your 6 quarts of base
Old 03-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #37
What y'all watchin HOES!?

5spdsdime really dug himself a hole on this one. repeating somthing someone said without knowing what you are talking about is all bad.

true:
there are over 500 colors you can make with the bases and candies you can even mix the candies together and i all depends on how many coats you put on it and your spray technique.
But in the case here, the thread starter is worried about fixing his own paintjob, so he would know what "base/candy combo" he used.
As for matching the spray technique since he won't be the one actually spraying it..... a good painter could match the color with a sprayout. Laying layers of masking tape upon each other and putting coat after coat as you pull off the tape will give you an idea of how many coats of candy the orginal painter used.
So it's not impossible, and it's not improbable to think that the owner of a vehicle that knows the base color, and the Candy color would be able to have a dented fender fixed with a good match, if he has a painter that knows what he is doing that is......

Last edited by Crazygenius13; 03-16-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #38
THE Original Donk!

My truck is HOK Kandy Tangerine. I paid about $2000 for all the paint. Buildup promer, epoxy primer, zenith gold base, Tangerine Kandy, and clear. I also have a few extra colors below the kandy for graphix though. Also if you read the label on a can of HOK it says for show use only. I notice my paint chips real easy since it is so thick.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #39
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL

Quote: Originally Posted by Paul42
My truck is HOK Kandy Tangerine. I paid about $2000 for all the paint. Buildup promer, epoxy primer, zenith gold base, Tangerine Kandy, and clear. I also have a few extra colors below the kandy for graphix though. Also if you read the label on a can of HOK it says for show use only. I notice my paint chips real easy since it is so thick.
It shouldn't be chipping do to the thickness unless you went over a few paint jobs first. HoK is very forgiving when it comes to mil thickness.

Kick a$$ paint job btw.... I'm thinkin of kandy orange myself

Last edited by Burton; 03-16-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #40
S-Clusive's Jester

Quote: Originally Posted by Nate_C
your a book of knowledge at age 19.
im 19 and even i know when to challenge my elders, especially when i dont have first hand experience in something.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #41
S-Clusive's Jester

Quote: Originally Posted by Paul42
I notice my paint chips real easy since it is so thick.
how was the prep work?? even if its just for show use it doesnt mean it should chip.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #42
LS6 S10

i bet i could cut the cost of that price down, u dont need the silver sealer, ur not doing a true kandy, get white sealer instead of silver, then buy a can of kk apple red to tint your sealer to help cut down on the coats, then u can also get away with cutting a quart out of your 6 quarts of base
What do you mean you could cut the cost down? Are you a dealer because that would be awsome.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #43
Custom Painter

What do you mean you could cut the cost down? Are you a dealer because that would be awsome.

i meant i could cut ur cost, u dont need the silver sealer if ur using kbc
Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #44
ther mofo man

candy mofo mustang this is a meteror marron with kk in the clear with plain clear over top of it. the whole car was done in the kk i have about 120$ in the paint since i got the bases and reducer for free

Last edited by rmodel65; 03-17-2007 at 12:44 AM. Reason: cause i can
Old 03-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #45
ther mofo man

Quote: Originally Posted by Crazygenius13
5spdsdime really dug himself a hole on this one. repeating somthing someone said without knowing what you are talking about is all bad.

true:

But in the case here, the thread starter is worried about fixing his own paintjob, so he would know what "base/candy combo" he used.
As for matching the spray technique since he won't be the one actually spraying it..... a good painter could match the color with a sprayout. Laying layers of masking tape upon each other and putting coat after coat as you pull off the tape will give you an idea of how many coats of candy the original painter used.
So it's not impossible, and it's not improbable to think that the owner of a vehicle that knows the base color, and the Candy color would be able to have a dented fender fixed with a good match, if he has a painter that knows what he is doing that is......

yeah a let down panel will give u an idea but it will not be exact unless u physically know what was used and how much of it. take for instance if i used the meteror maroon and the silver bases mixed if u put tried to go back with the maroon only ud never get color anywhere close because of the many variables. i personally used 2 1/2 quarts for my whole car i sealed it in white so it quickly covered and i highlighted the bodylines on the hood and fenders in orion silver instead of meteor maroon, yeah the guy from hok can paint . but he not only is he the president hes also a member :P ive never tried blending a kandy personally but i probably try and if i didnt work then id resort to panel painting

Last edited by rmodel65; 03-17-2007 at 01:14 AM. Reason: cause i left convicting evidence at the crime scene
Old 03-17-2007, 04:17 AM   #46
Custom Painter

kk isnt meant for overall, less uv resistance than uk, but u might luck out more cuz u went over meteor marron and it will fade to a red instead of a silver. the fading red could look pink over time without the red base under. but it is also easier to spray over red then silver
Old 03-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #47
ther mofo man

true but it sits outside all day and ive never had any problems out of it. it saved an ass load of cash because i used the concentrate its been painted for about yr and looks the same as the day i painted it and if it starts looking shabby i just have the mexicans at work prep it up and ill reshoot it
Old 03-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #48
Custom Painter

haha gotta love the mexicans! lol
Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 AM   #49
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL

Quote: Originally Posted by rmodel65
true but it sits outside all day and ive never had any problems out of it. it saved an ass load of cash because i used the concentrate its been painted for about yr and looks the same as the day i painted it and if it starts looking shabby i just have the mexicans at work prep it up and ill reshoot it
If the under coat is close it will be hard to tell but it will fade even under the clear. We did a mail box for my brother with Kks and it took about 3 years for it to fade.... which in car years I'm sure is more ... We used HoK Flu clear to top it off. It held out nice but it did start to fade and the silver was coming through.

We've done bikes in Kks that still look good 6 - 7 years later but they see hardly any sun compared to a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.