Gloss clear coat over flat paint? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Gloss clear coat over flat paint?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
Gloss clear coat over flat paint?

Forgive my ignorance, as this may be a stupid question. I'm considering (strongly) painting my 67 Cadillac Deville Hot Rod Flatz color Vanilla Shake. Let us pretend for a moment that I liked the color, but decided I was not crazy about the flat finish. Could I then spray a gloss clear coat and have a traditionally shiny paint job? I know HRF has an (optional) clear coat you can spray over the flat paint, and I know they make flattening agents for gloss paints and clear coats, but will this principle work in reverse? I personally do not see why it would not work, but thought I would see what you all thought about this. I will accept any comments and opinions, but I PREFER educated or experienced comments

And because I'm a pic whore, I'll post a quickie of the car and the wheels I'm drooling over.

The wheels would be in 18x8. I know, I know, I should go at least 20's, but I really feel like I'm walking a fine line between hot rod caddy/lead sled styling and creating a ghetto blaster, which is what I DON'T want. I'm afraid going much bigger than 18's will tip the scales towards ghetto blaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
I Like Fire....HaHaHa

Re: Gloss clear coat over flat paint?

Quote: Originally Posted by Eight433
Forgive my ignorance, as this may be a stupid question. I'm considering (strongly) painting my 67 Cadillac Deville Hot Rod Flatz color Vanilla Shake. Let us pretend for a moment that I liked the color, but decided I was not crazy about the flat finish. Could I then spray a gloss clear coat and have a traditionally shiny paint job? I know HRF has an (optional) clear coat you can spray over the flat paint, and I know they make flattening agents for gloss paints and clear coats, but will this principle work in reverse? I personally do not see why it would not work, but thought I would see what you all thought about this. I will accept any comments and opinions, but I PREFER educated or experienced comments

And because I'm a pic whore, I'll post a quickie of the car and the wheels I'm drooling over.

The wheels would be in 18x8. I know, I know, I should go at least 20's, but I really feel like I'm walking a fine line between hot rod caddy/lead sled styling and creating a ghetto blaster, which is what I DON'T want. I'm afraid going much bigger than 18's will tip the scales towards ghetto blaster
Answer = Yes

I have HRF Silver Sled with SpiesHecker Semi-Gloss Clear over it. But, I could have gone full gloss and buff.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
1993 RCSB

that is good to know cause I love the copper pearl color but I would like to shoot it glossy!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
1993 RCSB

btw I just did a rendering of that same body style caddy!!! white with a green pearl on 22's

Old 05-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #5

My paint sales guy I use said it's a go too. He just could not understand why I would buy flat paint and clear gloss over top of it. I told him that flat is the INTENDED result, and gloss clear is my safety net/back up plan lol
Old 05-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
I Like Fire....HaHaHa

Quote: Originally Posted by Eight433
My paint sales guy I use said it's a go too. He just could not understand why I would buy flat paint and clear gloss over top of it. I told him that flat is the INTENDED result, and gloss clear is my safety net/back up plan lol
Lol, won't need that. Once you go flat............you know............never go back.

I love the look I got and its a f-ing dream to take care of. Once I'm done washing it, it looks new all over again. No more hours of freaking polishing.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by JACKEL
Lol, won't need that. Once you go flat............you know............never go back.

I love the look I got and its a f-ing dream to take care of. Once I'm done washing it, it looks new all over again. No more hours of freaking polishing.
That is my BIGGEST reason for not going gloss black. Black is such a PITA to wash, and a car that big takes all damn day to wash! Fock that, man. $1.50 at the car wash, hose her down, and away we go!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #8

as big as that car is i dont think 20s will make it look ghetto at all with that wheel maybe n some other style wheels but that wheel u could have 22s on that car and prolly stillg et away witht he look ur wanting if nuthinj else u could always go with a bigger wheel in the back to give it more of a hot rod look. that wheel screams a hot rod muscle car kinda look anyways
Old 05-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by dimedragger88
as big as that car is i dont think 20s will make it look ghetto at all with that wheel maybe n some other style wheels but that wheel u could have 22s on that car and prolly stillg et away witht he look ur wanting if nuthinj else u could always go with a bigger wheel in the back to give it more of a hot rod look. that wheel screams a hot rod muscle car kinda look anyways
I agree I could probably go 20's. It just makes me nervous because it's such a heavy car, and we have such ridiculously large and frequent potholes. I wish I could see an 18 next to a 20 with identical rim/tire combo. I've never had anything bigger than 17's, and they're just steelies on my 06 silverado, haha.

PLUS, I can get the right size 18" tires from tire rack for 77 bucks a piece (BF goodrich radial t/a's in a 245/55/18)
The cheapest 20" tire I've found is 140.

Last edited by Eight433; 05-07-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #10

[QUOTE=PLUS, I can get the right size 18" tires from tire rack for 77 bucks a piece (BF goodrich radial t/a's in a 245/55/18)
The cheapest 20" tire I've found is 140.[/QUOTE]

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...ss595+93w.html
Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by pearldrop

Quote:
Description:
Federal SS595 is a Drift Competition tire. Federal SS595's extremely successful UHP, the former ss595, has been repositioned and renamed simply as the Federal SS595. Slight technical changes have been made by FTC to the tire to suit the purposes and take the abuse of drifting competition.
maybe I should be more specific. I'm looking for a STREET tire. Not to mention that one is TWO INCHES shorter than what I'm looking for. Thanks anyways though. If you can find what I'm looking for, that would be cool.

that is a good site though. Thanks for linking me to it.

Last edited by Eight433; 05-07-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.