****ing rusted ass body mounts - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

****ing rusted ass body mounts

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
I Rather Be Wheelin'

User is: OffLine
****ing rusted ass body mounts

I really hate this truck, it's getting ridiculous....

So today I decided it was time to replace the rear cab mount brackets (in the following pictures you'll see why). Well I figured while I was at it I'd fix the metal that's rusted on the cad side of the body mounts so they don't go through the floor (like some of them look like they're about to do). Figured, hell - while I'm at it I'll install that 2" BL that I've had laying around for about 9 months now too, the truck could use the new hardware.

Boy did I not know what I was getting myself into! I thought that my impact gun and my ridiculously large breaker bar would save me from the rust. Well all they both managed to do was rape the body mount bolts, which I now cannot remove. I really would like to get these things out as I have to completely replace the rear two body mounts and brackets soon, and other bits and pieces.

I could really use some ideas on how to get these freaking things out.

Excuse the pics, it's kinda tricky laying on a creeper a with a DSLR...

(All clickable thumbnails)

The pile of rust the impact gun made

Left rear body mount & support I'm replacing

Left middle body mount and cab support I need to replace

Left front (not radiator) body mount

Right rear body mount & support I'm replacing

Right middle body mount... This is what most of them look like before I take the impact gun or breaker bar to them.

It's freaking ridiculous. I wish I could just find a good used cab, but where I live this truck is in better condition than most. Already replaced cab corners, rockers, and most of the floor already. Now this body mount problem is a big pain in the rear.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
started as a 4X4 anyway

Re: ****ing rusted ass body mounts

My 84 4X4 S10 was the exact same. I needed to take the cab off to finish the body drop and do some frame work. On the rear two, cut the bolt heads off, cut the rivets off that rivet the bracket to the frame, with the bracket gone and the mount off all you have left there is a long bolt-with-no-head that is easy to take out with vise grips and a torch.

The middle ones and front ones are the hardest. All 4 of the plates that are welded to the floor for the mounts on mine were toast, getting the head off the bolts is the hardest part, especially if they have that metal plate on them still. I found it easier to use a cut off wheel to make an X in the head of the bolt and hit it with an air chisel. 3 of my studs I could not turn, even with heat, so I used a hole saw to put a 1" hole in my floor right above the mount, hit the stud with a BFH so it breaks the welds on the top nut, take it out through the floor, weld up hole in floor when done putting in new mounts.

Not what you wanted to hear, I know, but it is a crappy job. Rust sucks, no way around it.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
I Rather Be Wheelin'

That sounds like a ****ing nightmare. The rears I'm replacing the brackets anyway so that wont be as much of a bitch to do, but having to cut a hole in the floor and messing more shit up sounds like too much of a bitch to do. I'll really hat to do that if it's the only way to go.

How the hell did you get to the front ones by the wheel well?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
started as a 4X4 anyway

From top or bottom?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #5

surprisingly my mounts were in not bad condition for how bad the cab corners rockers and floors were. I would have NEVER used a breaker bar on anything rusted. ALWAYS impact. ur lucky the nut welded to the mount on the cab side hasint broke loose like mine. I might be drilling a hole with a hole saw in my floor to weld a nut on the inside......
my washers that hold the rubber in were like dust.... i dropped them on the ground and they fell apart!!!!!! just to think me flying around a corner and those puppys coming apart

since your this far replace EVERYTHING.

and I can relate in the fact that finding a clean first gen in a salty canadian city is literally imposible

good luck with that
Old 12-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
I Rather Be Wheelin'

Yeah, but that breaker bar is the only thing that's removed some of the bolts on that truck. Most of them the impact gun won't even touch, it won't move 'em at all until I hit 'em with the bar. I tried not using the breaker bar on the body mounts in fear of doing just what you said, but when the impact gun wouldn't move 'em I figured it was worth a shot... Boy was I wrong...
Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
I Rather Be Wheelin'

Heeeeey... What about a set of these things

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Taps+%26+Dies
Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
NICE WELDS MAKE ME =)

Im Right There With You Man, I Have A 91 Reg Cab. I Suspected The Mounts Would Need Attention But Damn ! The Left Side Of My Cab Is Just Sitting On The Frame, Not Bolted, Mounts And Mount Washers Completely Rotted Gone. If I Hadnt Already Put So Much Work In This Truck I Would Probably Be Listing It For Sale. Keep Your Eye On The Prize, Well Atleast Thats What I Keep Tellin Myself
Old 12-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
I Rather Be Wheelin'

What seems to get me is the fact that my '91 parts truck was rotted; and the cab and body mounts were in MUCH worse condition than mine - but they came off with no problems at all.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #10
Low N Slow

I'm getting ready to tackle the same thing. Came out to my truck the other morning for work and found the mount washer and a pile of rust sitting in the driveway...WOOHOO!!! I can't wait to start on this job. Where is a cheap place to get the body mounts? Auto Zone told me bout $70 for all the cab mounts.......
Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #11
I Rather Be Wheelin'

Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisInVT
Heeeeey... What about a set of these things

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Taps+%26+Dies
Well, $55 later those things were completely ****ing useless.... Sunovabitch!
Old 01-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
I Rather Be Wheelin'

Alright, so my co-workers husband (the metalworker) came over and had all the mounts out in 45 minutes, I was like WTF....

I don't know why I didn't think of it, but he welded 1" nuts right onto the heads of the stripped bolts. Took 'em right off with a 1/2 ratchet like they were nothing. I was like sunovabitch....

Pics to follow.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #13

I dont think i have ever saw any rusted that bad Damn!!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
I Rather Be Wheelin'

I need to get new ones.

Ripoff, ummm I mean LMC wants like $30 a freaking mount. I have some decent mounts from my parts truck but everything else on this POS is new, so I'd like to just get new ones all the way around. Where's a good place to get 'em for CHEAP?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #15

My rear mounts are perfect my middle ones are gone there rusted off the frame and rusted out on the body side. Im thinking im going to weld a 2x4 c channel to the frame and to body weld abut on the body side c channel put new bushings in and crank the bolt from the frame side c channel.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
I Rather Be Wheelin'

Holy necrophilia.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
run and tell that

I am in the process of replacing the body mount bushings on my truck right now as well. It is a 94 reg cab S10, with 200,000 miles from the midwest. The left side were not horrible. The rubber bushings were pretty bad, but the bolts and bottom plates were fine.

The front ones (the radiator mounts) were also in good shape, and came loose just fine. Again, the rubber bushings were shot, but all of the metal (bolts and lower plates) were in good shape.

Got the to the right side, and the lower plates are pretty much gone!! Similar to the pics you originally posted. haven't tried the bolts yet, but I am assuming they will fight me pretty hard.

Where can a person buy the hardware at? I already have a bushing kit, but of course, they do not include the hardware (bolts and plates).

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
I Rather Be Wheelin'

I was putting in a body lift, so I had all new bolts to go along with my new mounts.

The rear cab supports/front bed mount I removed from a parts truck I had in my garage.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
run and tell that

Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisInVT
I was putting in a body lift, so I had all new bolts to go along with my new mounts.

The rear cab supports/front bed mount I removed from a parts truck I had in my garage.

Yeah, I have no parts truck and am not lifting mine. Just replacing the factory hardware.

Shitty thing is, I actually did have a parts truck, but I sold it years ago. It was a bit of an eye sore, and I had not owned an S10 for some time, so I got rid of it. It was stripped down quite a bit, but the body mount hardware was still there though!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.