Cab/body mount replacement? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Cab/body mount replacement?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 01:21 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
Cab/body mount replacement?

I have what is apparently a fairly common problem in the snowbelt with my truck- the floor pan sections above the cab body mounts are rusted so the cab has sunk down, resulting in the doors misaligning (as well as other related bits).

What is the easiest way to repair this problem? By this I mean I can certainly weld in new sections- but who sells floor pieces just for this purpose (strangely only the mount areas are rusted, rest of floorpan is A-Ok) and are there any "tricks" I should know about? This is on an '89 S15 w/262ci and 4 wheel drive.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:20 PM   #2

Re: Cab/body mount replacement?

Nobody ever have to do this before? I'm totally in the dark at the moment and can't even go and inspect my truck- it's stored elsewhere right now waiting for me to get to this 'project'.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
LethalFabrication.com

my opnly suggestion is get some sheetmetal, and some jack stands, jack up teh cab of fof teh frame a lil bit, cut out all teh rust, and then cuit teh sheet metal an patch it up, mike
Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
your opinion sucks

Quote: Originally Posted by Eric89s15
I have what is apparently a fairly common problem in the snowbelt with my truck- the floor pan sections above the cab body mounts are rusted so the cab has sunk down, resulting in the doors misaligning (as well as other related bits).

What is the easiest way to repair this problem? By this I mean I can certainly weld in new sections- but who sells floor pieces just for this purpose (strangely only the mount areas are rusted, rest of floorpan is A-Ok) and are there any "tricks" I should know about? This is on an '89 S15 w/262ci and 4 wheel drive.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm going to start this project tommorrow, I'll try to get some pictures for ya. I have the same problem in an '86. The kids in class are gonna love this.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:52 PM   #5

Hey any pics or things to watch out for would be great. You in the business of torturing kids with nasty projects or something?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
your opinion sucks

Quote: Originally Posted by Eric89s15
Hey any pics or things to watch out for would be great. You in the business of torturing kids with nasty projects or something?

Yeah, and I love it.

Last edited by casey53; 04-06-2005 at 03:38 PM. Reason: oops
Old 05-17-2005, 06:59 AM   #7
your opinion sucks

Well, this class project kind of fell through. Coming down to end of semester and too many jobs to complete. It didn't help that the parts I ordered from Mill's Supply got stuck on a slow boat from China.

So today I start on a different approach, went to a local salvage yard yesterday and found a damn near perfect cab for $100. They know I'm using it for a school project and are willing to give a little help with parts in exchange for some free advertising later. Good deal, now if I could drum up more support like that "Project 86" will finish ahead of schedule.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #8
Drags Rockers

I have this same issue. My driver side mount crumbled when I was doing my body drop yesterday. But since I have the truck stripped, after the floor is welded up pretty strong, I'm going to flip the cab on it's back and either fab up new floor mounts or find new stock ones.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #9

there is a place in ontario canada that sell body parts including cab floor surpport and all u need it is www.crosscanadaparts.com and look under guest then general motors and then number 905 for the 82 to 93 s10 they have all the replacement body parts and prices listed on there
Old 10-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #10

Wow! Talk about a post coming back from the dead.

Sadly, I still have the truck parked in the trees under a tarp- so this was a good reminder.

I actually have a Cross Canada parts catalog in front of me- the '905' section on S10s, S15s, etc. etc. It only lists part # 905-79, Cab Support (specify L or R). This is the rear cab support or "box floor support"- but what about the front of the cab- does it have a support box as well- or are the body mounts attached to the floorpan reinforcements at the front corners?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #11

I don't know if you bought the repair parts yet, but LMC truck has the floor pans and cab mounts also. They are better priced than crosscanada. I need them for mine also, probably order them in the next few days.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #12

hey can i use 2x4 or 6 box tube? cause technically stock piece has an angle to it...and can i leave out the backing plate cause thats what rusts most
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.