body work and paint questions - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

body work and paint questions

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Exterior / Paint
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Dems 22s

User is: OffLine
body work and paint questions

My truck is in pretty good shape, it just has a few door dings and pecks. I want to body work and paint this myself. I have a couple of friends that work in the best body work in town that are going to look over me as i do the mud work and help me, and give me pointers on it.

After i do the mud work, can i spray polyester filler primer to help get my truck perfectly straight? I know my friends are going to help me, but they are not going to babysit me and make sure everything is perfectly straight. I feel like this primer will make it a lot easier to get it perfectly straight.

If this is not a good method, what primer do i need to get?

If this method is ok, after i block it out do i just spray my bc and cc over it? or do i need to put a sealer or regular primer over the polyester primer.

My dad is going to spray it for me in our shop. We are going to wet the floors and make a plastic paint booth. Im going to pay my friends that work at the body shop to wet sand and buff the truck.

Also I plan on keeping my truck the factory metallic blue. What is a good, but affordable bc and cc to spray with?

Thank you and sorry for the novel.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #2

Re: body work and paint questions

Polly primer is good and it will need to be sealed or primed over with high build.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Dems 22s

Thank you, I was thinking that, but wasnt sure so i thought i would ask the experts.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Longbeds FTMFW

some 2k primers can be reduced a bit and used as a sealer as well
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Uni-Joint Snapper

The Poly primer we use (evercoat super build 4:1) is a bitch to sand. If you're just doing spot repairs, then just use a direct to metal high build 2k on those spots and feather them back to your stock finish. Montana makes a good product for that. I would recommend at least spot sealing over the primer spots, or sealing the entire truck before spraying base. Nason makes a good product called Select Seal 2k.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #6

Slicksand sands very nice and isn't too expencive but does need to be topcoated with high build. Sikkens polysurfacer is great but is a bit pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.