Turn Signal Fuse Blows Immediately - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Turn Signal Fuse Blows Immediately

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Turn Signal Fuse Blows Immediately

Alright my turn signal fuse continues to blow as soon as you turn the key to the on position. I have had this problem for a long time, coming up on about 10 months with no turn signals. Anyways tonight I went ahead and unplugged the backup switch on the tranny as well as removed all the bulbs from the taillights and then replaced fuse and it still blew it. Any ideas guys?? Its a 1997 Chevy S10 4.3 with manual transmission and it does have the trailer pig tail wiring. I am lost.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #2

Re: Turn Signal Fuse Blows Immediately

Have you checked out the wiring in the front of your truck to see if anything is shorted out? and i am not sure but maybe try and disconnect the the turn signal switch and see if there is a issue there i am not to sure if that could cause an issue like you are experiencing. and maybe check out you flasher modules and see if they are jacked up
Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by Geoff
Alright my turn signal fuse continues to blow as soon as you turn the key to the on position. I have had this problem for a long time, coming up on about 10 months with no turn signals. Anyways tonight I went ahead and unplugged the backup switch on the tranny as well as removed all the bulbs from the taillights and then replaced fuse and it still blew it. Any ideas guys?? Its a 1997 Chevy S10 4.3 with manual transmission and it does have the trailer pig tail wiring. I am lost.
According to wiring diagram - the 1997 S-10 has separate turn and hazard flashers with independent fuse feeders for each.

Diagram also indicates the flasher has two contacts with no path to ground - so make sure the flasher case is not touching metal chassis or bare wires to provide such a path.

Turn signals need key ON for power but hazards are on B+ (battery hot) buss.

So, have you tried hazard flashers with key OFF to see if fuse "blows".

If the hazard fuse fails - the problem is probably in the combination turn/hazard switch, bulb, socket or wiring since all are being used by the two functions.

If hazards lights operate OK - I'd suspect an internal problem in the turn and hazard switch (or previously mentioned flasher unit).

I've attached the drawing - repost if you have questions regarding the wiring.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97 S-10 Exterior Lts.pdf (55.6 KB, 159 views)
Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #4

Alright with no key in the hazards work just fine and no fuse blows, but still as soon as I turn key to on the fuse blows, this is still with all of the bulbs in the taillights removed and the backup switch unplugged on the tranny. And I looked at that wiring diagram and it scares me I will save it though and see if it makes sense to my one friend who is really good at wiring. The flashers are also both working as they are both the same flasher so I switched them and still the hazards will work and the turn fuse continues to blow. So where am I now? I am still lost, thanks for any help guys I really appreciate it as its been almost a year now with no turn signals.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #5

i would look at what Far has said

If hazards lights operate OK - I'd suspect an internal problem in the turn and hazard switch (or previously mentioned flasher unit).
Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #6

also have you tried pulling the flasher for the turn signals and try and see if it still blows the fuse. it should cut the power going to your multifunction switch for the turn signals.
It does sound like there might be an internal short in your multifunction switch.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #7

ok looking at the diagram you can also check the following wires for shorts to ground but i should not matter because your fuse for your hazards did not blow so it kinda rules out a short in the wires going to the bulbs.

LT blue
DK Blue
Yellow
DK Green

i feel that there is most likely an issue with your multifunction switch or a short before the multifunction switch but if you want to make sure you can test these for shorts to ground.
i would pull the flasher for the turn signals and see if it blows the fuse if it does not then there is not a short between the fuse and the flasher then from there you can check the wires between the flasher and the switch for a short to ground and that wire according to the diagram that far provided should be purple..

Sorry for the multiple posts but i keep thinking of other things to that you could look in to.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by zacharyh687
i would look at what Far has said

So would the problem be in the turn switch or the hazard switch?? The hazards work fine so why would there be an internal problem in the hazard switch? And finally is the multifunction switch the turn signal lever?? If my problem is that how do I go about pulling that out to check it, any links?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #9

yea the multifunction switch is the turn signal lever and the turn signal and hazard switch is on the same part.. as far as testing it goes im not 100% sure i am going to have to look at the diagram that far posted to see how you could goabout testing that. one thing you can try like i said is to pull the turn signal flasher out and see if it still blows the fuse..
Old 03-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #10

I suggest you determine - for sure - if the electrical short is in the turn signals or back-up (B/U) light circuit.

You'll need an ohm-meter and a little bit of operating knowledge for meter use.

You mentioned removing plug from B/U light switch - can you confirm the plug you removed has one pink wire and one light-green wire? Colors are same for auto or manual trans. (See diagram below).

Once you confirm you pulled the right connector - leave it off and remove the turn signal fuse. Then use volt-meter or test light to find which fuse socket is hot when ignition is turned on. Stay away from this socket while completing resistance testing.

Now, use an ohm-meter to check the other fuse socket to ground. If meter measures a short or low resistance - pull the turn signal flasher to see if resistance changes.

If meter no longer reads a short with flasher out of circuit - problem is either a shorted wire between flasher socket and turn/hazard switch, or the switch has an internal problem.

If pulling flasher does not affect meter reading (still reads short or low resistance) problem is in wire between fuse socket and B/U light switch or wire between fuse socket and flasher socket.

Next step - access back-side of fuse socket to remove one of the two pink wires (one to back-up light switch and one to turn signal flasher) to see which removes the short.

You can then use ohm-meter to check other pink wire to see if it goes to back-up light switch or turn signal flasher. If wire is good end-to-end -visually check the shorted pink wire for obvious damage or just run a new one to save time (to either B/U switch or turn signal flasher).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97 S10 - B-U Lights.pdf (20.7 KB, 56 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.