Truck WONT start. Security light stays on 24/7 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Truck WONT start. Security light stays on 24/7

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 12:22 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
Truck WONT start. Security light stays on 24/7

I've been having trouble with my 2003 s10. I yanked out the harness and the dash board when tubbing my firewall. Now that i have the harness back in im trying to start the truck, and im getting no luck.

First off, the SECURITY light stays on! all the time. wether the key is in the ignition or not, 1st click, 2nd click, full turn, u name it, the security light is on.

I've done a lot of research and i cant seem to find anyone else in the exact situation as me. I get no noise when trying to start my truck. Im 95% positive everything is plugged in, and i've double/tripple/quadruple checked that everything is plugged in.

I've tried the relearn thing multiple times, but the security light never shuts off after 10 or 11 minutes. so no luck with that. I have reason to believe that my ignition cylinder may be faulty, my BCM took a crap on me, or my key decided to stop working.

How can i tell if my key is passlock equipped? i cant find any indentions or engravings on my key.

Any help would be much appreciated. If i dont figure this out soon im gunna have to throw in the towel and tow it to the dealer, but i really dont want to do that. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #2

Re: Truck WONT start. Security light stays on 24/7

Your key wont have the vats pellet in it, they are just regular keys. If leaving the key in the run position for awhile didnt work, then sorry thats the only one I can help you with.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
I piss excellence

pull the battery for 10 mins or so and let the PCM reset?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #4

try and get a code scanner and delete any codes?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #5

tried all of those ideas. im shit outa luck. i think im guna drop it off at the dealer
Old 10-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
I piss excellence

Quote: Originally Posted by negativeclearence
tried all of those ideas. im shit outa luck. i think im guna drop it off at the dealer
Kinda reading more into it...sounds like your PCM might have to be reprogrammed..
Old 10-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

You may have thrown what they call a hard code. Take your key leave it in the run position for 1/2hr. The light should shut off. If it does turn the key off and then back on for another 1/2hr. When the light turn off again shut the key off and turn it back on for another 1/2hr. After the third time of the light shutting off, turn the key off and then try to start the truck. I have only seen this happen a few times where I work and it is usually only after replacing a key cylinder, but this is the method we use to manually reprogram and it seems to work for us.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
More Cowbell

the passlock 2 system is a resistance code built into the bcm...u can drop it off at the dealer if you like but having the security light on all the time it sounds like something is messed up. That light should only be on when the ignition is turned on. None the less you could read the resistance of you cylinder then go right to the bcm and wire that resistor between the passlock ground and r code wire. It would completely bypass the system though.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #9

happened to me... check ur fuse box under the hood, its probelly blowing the fuse, dont rember the name but it was on the bottom right side.. i think 20amp? also check wired under the dash for melted wired ect...
Old 10-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #10

Just dropped my trcuk off at the dealer for a bad BCM. Security light was on steady and it wouldn't start. We flashed all the codes with a code reader to get it started. But as as soon as you shut it off it won't start again. So the BCM was definitely bad. But while driving it to the dealer, I lost ALL shift points. Have a 2001 S-10 Extreme 4 cylinder automatic. It would shift thru all gears before I hit 35MPH. So anyone having security issues, the BCM has to be re-programmed by the dealer. They have a secret 4 digit code to be entered. If anyone knows anything about losing shift points let me know.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
gone 10

i have\had the same problem take it in to a shop they scanned it and found my bcm was fried, well i guess off to dealership. about how much did it cost and were u able to drive it home?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!

Quote: Originally Posted by s10 envy
i have\had the same problem take it in to a shop they scanned it and found my bcm was fried, well i guess off to dealership. about how much did it cost and were u able to drive it home?
you said your bcm was fried? did they replace the bcm only or did they replace the column as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.