Tail Light and License Plate Light Problem - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Tail Light and License Plate Light Problem

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
former owner

User is: OffLine
Tail Light and License Plate Light Problem

I backed into a shopping cart recently and it wouldn't have been so bad if the curb hadn't have been there so that I would have just pushed the cart. But no, there was a curb and so I sandwiched the cart between the curb and my roll pan (the cart was laying on it's side which is why I didn't see it). So anyway, I'm pissed because it broke the inner mounting flaps of my stepshavers and bent my license plate bracket. Since the incident my driver's side tail light and license plate light haven't worked. The passenger side tail light works, both reverse lights work, and both brake lights work. Immediately I thought it was just a bad bulb, well, yeah, the bulb was bad, but when I put a new one in, it still didn't work. I tried new bulbs everywhere. I tried checking all the grounds and unbolting them and then retightening them. I checked the harnesses and none of the plugs are undone. I went ahead and unplugged and replugged one that I accidentally ripped off while removing the bed once.
A mechanic friend said that the actual socket for the bulb(s) might be bad. I stripped the wiring going in and out of the license plate light and used a multimeter to test for current when the light should have been on. Nothing. So, that told me that the socket may not be bad, but either way the problem is before the socket.

One thing I've been thinking was that the lights may not be in parallel, and if not, then the socket for the tail light could be bad, but it would have to be in series before the license plate light in order for the license plate light to lose power. Does a Chilton have a wiring schematic in it? I have one but haven't looked yet.

Cliffs
Passenger tail light and License plate lights are out.
All other lights (brake, reverse, etc) work fine
Replaced bulbs and checked grounds.

Lights are still out.

Please help troubleshoot.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
former owner

Re: Tail Light and License Plate Light Problem

Old 05-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
LSX LUV Owner

check the fuses for everything? for some reason my dash lights decided to stop working.. and it happened to be dark.. haha it was a fuse..
Old 05-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
former owner

Is there a fuse for just the driver's side tail light and/or the license plate light?

The only that has made sense to me is what my Dad was talking about how the two lights have a common ground (which is grounded), and they are wired in series. Somewhere on their power wire, there is a short. But I don't know if this is true because I haven't looked at the wiring diagram.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by 98SS
Is there a fuse for just the driver's side tail light and/or the license plate light?

Yeah. Under the hood, top of left front fenderwall. Rear right turn fuse 16 (10A) and Right RR park fuse (10A).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.