Problems with side post battery terminal - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Problems with side post battery terminal

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #1

Problems with side post battery terminal

So I have a 5 year old side post battery, not sure on brand or specs though. It's in my 84 auto, 2wd, s10 blazer (3.4l engine). I just did the big 3, and now I can't get my + terminal off, it spins, and I can see the bolt or whatever, inside the battery spinning with it. Is there any way to get it off?

It's really loose inside the battery. And it keeps coming unhooked internally. My truck acts dead everytime I try to start it, but once I jiggle the + terminal, it'll fire right up (and I can hear a nice spark when it gets connection again, is that okay?). Any way to fix this?

Also, it's probably about time for a new battery anyways, can I just get a normal top terminal setup battery? What's a good model brand/number, and what specs should I look for, for CCA and so on? I only have a 1200 rms watt amplifier, so I shouldn't need anything like an optima, just generic costco brand would work for me!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
4x4 v6 blazer

User is: OffLine
Re: Problems with side post battery terminal

Time for a new battery
Old 10-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #3

Is it a common thing for the inner nut to come loose on these side terminals? What are the recommended specs for a good replacement battery?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #4

So I was able to jiggle the terminal and get it to start. Drove it home, but it acted weird the whole time. The voltage was fluctuating constantly from 12-15v. I'm assuming that's cause it's running off of just the alternator, and that the battery goes loose?

Is that going to hurt anything driving like that till I can get a new battery? Does that mean my alternator is bad too, since it was fluctuating so much? (I had to have the a/c and lights on to keep it around 14).
Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Been around the block

You are getting intermittent connection to the battery.....you will ruin your alternator if you keep running it like that. Just get a new battery!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #6

New battery ASAP or you will have other problems.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #7

The terminals on the battery will come loose if you over-tighten the bolts when you connect it. When you get your new battery you wanna make sure they're snug, but not impossibly tight either
Old 10-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #8

Yeah, I'm getting another battery tomorrow then. Don't want to damage my alternator at all. Is it normal for an alternator to do that and have varying voltage without a battery connection? Or is that the sign of a bad alternator?

The battery I have now is a model # 78, does that sound like the correct one? Can I upgrade to a bigger size, what model # is it?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #9

Depends where you get the battery from. A 78 series is typically the biggest you canget in there. If you are getting a parts store battery, The duralast gold 34 series with top and side post is the biggest you can get in there. It will fit but youll need a shoe horn
Old 10-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by 992drjimmy
Depends where you get the battery from. A 78 series is typically the biggest you canget in there. If you are getting a parts store battery, The duralast gold 34 series with top and side post is the biggest you can get in there. It will fit but youll need a shoe horn

Okay cool, I was going to try a costco one, had really good luck in the past with them. I'll look out for a 34 series though....and what's a shoe horn? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #11

By shoe horn, I meant you are really going to have to wedge that thing in there. I think its 900 CCA. It will fit but you have to turn it justthe righ angle toget it in and if i remember right, remove theradiator cap.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
Mine Sweeper!

At some point, the terminals either got overtightened or cross-threaded. They don't just come loose. Did you not go with extended posts when you did the Big 3?

Quote: Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u
Is it normal for an alternator to do that and have varying voltage without a battery connection? Or is that the sign of a bad alternator?
The alternator will spike when it suddenly goes from a load to no load. Get the new battery now or you're gonna fry your alternator.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #13

Thanks guys, just got the new battery tonight...got a Kirkland brand from Costco, #78....800 cca and 1000 ca, that ought to do the job!

I actually do have the side post extenders, just over tightened them I guess. I was real gentle this time!

I measured at voltage of the new battery off and it was 14.5 volts, then when I turned it on, me voltmeter said I was getting 16 volts! I'm hoping that will go down just since it's a new battery (my aftermarket gauge inside still read 14 running). Unless my alternator is already jacked or something...
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #14

The side posts will strip before you break them off inside. They do rot with age. I used to see this all the time when i managed parts store.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #15

Yeah, mine didn't actually strip, I had to pull the side post out with the internal battery nut still attached! It was 5 years old though...
Old 10-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #16

So my voltmeter is still fluctuating will driving. It goes from 13-15, never holds steady if I'm just driving steadily down the road. Is that signs of a bad alternator? What's the stock amperage on a 2.8l or 3.4l alternator?

I don't need a huge 200amp or anything, will probably just go up to a 105 amp or something. I only have a 1200 watt rms system, no external lights or anything...
Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #17

To answer your question.

Shoehorn

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

A metal shoehorn.

A shoehorn, sometimes called shoespoon, is a tool that allows the user to put on a shoe more easily. It does so by keeping the shoe open and by providing a smooth surface for the foot and particularly the heel to move, without crushing the shoe's counter (the vertical portion of the shoe that wraps around the back of the foot), in this way acting as a first class lever.
Originally, shoe horns were made from animal horns and some made from bulls' horns are still available for purchase. Today plastic and metal are now most often used. They were also made of glass and even paper. Expensive shoe horns were made from ivory, silver, shell, animal horn or bone.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u
So my voltmeter is still fluctuating will driving. It goes from 13-15, never holds steady if I'm just driving steadily down the road. Is that signs of a bad alternator? What's the stock amperage on a 2.8l or 3.4l alternator?

I don't need a huge 200amp or anything, will probably just go up to a 105 amp or something. I only have a 1200 watt rms system, no external lights or anything...
Get that alternator checked. A bad battery can ruin an alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.