OVERHEAD CONSOLE Owners Please Post HERE!!!!!!! - Page 4 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

OVERHEAD CONSOLE Owners Please Post HERE!!!!!!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #151
That Other Guy

User is: OffLine
Re: OVERHEAD CONSOLE Owners Please Post HERE!!!!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Wicked69ng
I haven't been here in a long time. But i like this. Since the grand am is gone. I will put my overhead in my alero.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #152
Ticket Magnet

So...where do I find a VSS signal on a 96 S10 p/u?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #153

radio harness. green and white iirc
Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #154
Ticket Magnet

Thanks...just to show my ignorance...what is "iirc"?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #155

if i remember correctly. its either green/white, or green/black i cant remember off the top of my head right now
Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #156
Ticket Magnet

I get it...can it be picked up at the OBD2 connector?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #157
Jimmyfied

I gave up n mine
Old 10-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #158
Ticket Magnet

What I have is a short ohc with a long ohc module. It only has temp and compass so I'm hoping it on't be too bad. I'm not sure why I would need the VSS unless it's for the compass.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #159

you dont need the vss unless you have the mode version
Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #160
Slowly but eventually

I think you need the VSS for the temp. Everything the compass needs is contained in the bracket that you attach the OHC to, but I believe it uses the VSS to adjust the temp depending on the speed. Would just have to find the wiring diagram thru deathphoenix's sig.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #161

i didnt event think about the temp adjustment
Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #162
Slowly but eventually

I just double checked, since I thought, but wasn't sure, and yeah, you need the VSS, and its the green with white stripe, and yeah the best place to get it is the radio harness. I tried a couple of other places, and it didn't work out well.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #163
Slowly but eventually

Now, one thing that I remembered, there are at least two green wires with white stripes. One is the VSS and the other is one of the speaker wires, at least thats what it is on my 98, so might want to find a pin out of the radio, or in my case, it was the one that didn't have anything on the radio side of the adapter harness, since they don't have the automatic adjustment for speed like a stock radio does.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #164
That 3D picture dude guy

update: I figured out what to do with my headliner since I installed the rag top. Also, to answer your question, IIRC the VSS can be found at your OBDII port and is the SOLID light green wire... or that may be the data signal. Not 100% sure.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #165

I picked up a short console out of a 97 Blazer with a sunroof. It doesn't have homelink, just the rocker for the sunroof. It also has the external compass sensor. The lights are the ones where you push the lens to turn on and off.
It looked like someone had tried to remove the console and gave up. The wires were cut at the plug in the dash, and the jackwagon ripped the three wires out of the plug for the map lights. The harness has black, white and orange wires, and the plug on the console has black white and grey.

I can find a dozen pinouts for the LED readout, but there are no postings for the lights.
Can someone tell me how the colors line up between the harness and the plug for the lights? Also, any idea which wire is hot and which is switched? Can I just tap into the wiring for my rear view mirror? (It's not an auto-dim, it just has the two little map lights)

Thankx!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #166

Quote: Originally Posted by FentonDude
I picked up a short console out of a 97 Blazer with a sunroof. It doesn't have homelink, just the rocker for the sunroof. It also has the external compass sensor. The lights are the ones where you push the lens to turn on and off.
It looked like someone had tried to remove the console and gave up. The wires were cut at the plug in the dash, and the jackwagon ripped the three wires out of the plug for the map lights. The harness has black, white and orange wires, and the plug on the console has black white and grey.

I can find a dozen pinouts for the LED readout, but there are no postings for the lights.
Can someone tell me how the colors line up between the harness and the plug for the lights? Also, any idea which wire is hot and which is switched? Can I just tap into the wiring for my rear view mirror? (It's not an auto-dim, it just has the two little map lights)

Thankx!
Also, there were no bulbs in the map lights. Can someone tell me what bulb size these take? I'm going to go for LED's but I need a starting point as to what type bulb.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #167
Ticket Magnet

I think they are 194's
Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #168

Quote: Originally Posted by DfntPntbll
1. 1998 S-10 Ext. Cab
7. No harness, did my own wiring straight to OBD2 port
Your OHC looks just like mine.
Can you tell me how you tapped the grey, white and black wires for the push-lights?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #169

hey everyone i have a 1991 4 door jimmy and im thinking about getting a console from a 1994 blazer, the guy that owns it says he doesnt have any wiring for it, not sure if it has homelink or onstar or any other special features. now how would i go about wiring it so that the two lights on it work?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #170

has anyone mounted gauges in a overhead console , like boost or a air fuel ? Is there enough room to run a small vacuum line for a boost gauge tucked in nice?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #171

Quote: Originally Posted by Noob17268
has anyone mounted gauges in a overhead console , like boost or a air fuel ? Is there enough room to run a small vacuum line for a boost gauge tucked in nice?
Go back a page and look at this posting
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f62/ov...ml#post6719230

Some OHC came with controls for the rear A/C instead of an information display. Pull the controls, put in a plate, and there should be room for a couple gauges. There is room in the pillar for drain lines the size of your finger for sunroofs, there should be plenty of room for any lines you need for gauges.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #172
Slowly but eventually

Fenton- do you have a rearview mirror with lights? That is where I got my black(ground), orange(power), and white, since the lights in the mirror are hooked up like courtesy lights as well. The grey wire, I went down to the radio harness.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #173

marcus, how bright is yours? when mine actually works, i cant see it unless its dark lol
Old 10-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #174
Electrical Mod

Mine have always been bright, you might need a new module badmofo. Too bad, because I just tossed like 5-6 mode computers since I no longer wanted to store them. All of them were good too.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #175

Quote: Originally Posted by 98lowerednewproje
Fenton- do you have a rearview mirror with lights? That is where I got my black(ground), orange(power), and white, since the lights in the mirror are hooked up like courtesy lights as well. The grey wire, I went down to the radio harness.
Yes, I have the mirror with the lights. Since the harness uses black white and orange, I can just go with the same colors tapping the feed to the mirror, yes? (Thanks)

My main question is how to put those 3 wires back into the male plug for the OHC since the female connector on the console itself uses black, white and grey.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #176

I'm assuming this was meant for me.. and yes my mirror does have lights so i will try it as soon as i buy the console later today
Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #177

Quote: Originally Posted by deathphoenix99
Mine have always been bright, you might need a new module badmofo. Too bad, because I just tossed like 5-6 mode computers since I no longer wanted to store them. All of them were good too.
im guessing thats whats wrong with it, it works on and off and is pretty dim, and im pretty sure my wiring is good. ill probably end up putting some kind of gauges or volt meters in there so im not really worried about it.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #178
Slowly but eventually

I can see my console any time, day or night.

Jimmy, it actually was meant for Fenton, but if it helps you too, then even better.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #179

I was at the salvage yard this past weekend, and pulled a console down that looked like mine. the three wires from the harness, black, white and orange, connect to the three wires on the console (lighting circuit) black, white, and grey. Not sure why they didn't just go with Orange on the console, but .. whatever..
Looks like next week I'll have time to install the console, as well as a gauge cluster with Tach.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #180

1. YOUR VEHICLE YEAR/MODEL/TYPE (FOR EXAMPLE, 2002 BLAZER 2-DR, 1998 SONOMA EXT. CAB, 1997 BRAVADA, ETC.)

2000 Jimmy 2 dr 2wd.

2. IF IT CAME ORIGINALLY WITH THE OVERHEAD CONSOLE

Yes.

3. SHORT CONSOLE OR LONG CONSOLE. IF SHORT CONSOLE, PUSH LIGHTS OR BUTTON OPERATED

Long console.

4. ON/OFF BUTTON OR MODE BUTTON

On/off.

5. HOMELINK OR ONSTAR IF PRESENT ON THE CONSOLE

Nope.

6. ANY OTHER FEATURES

Nope.

8. DOES EVERYTHING WORK?

Yep.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #181

Quote: Originally Posted by badmofo529
im guessing thats whats wrong with it, it works on and off and is pretty dim, and im pretty sure my wiring is good. ill probably end up putting some kind of gauges or volt meters in there so im not really worried about it.
mine just worked bright all the time at first but if i remember correctly to get it to dim when you turn the headlights on there are two wires that have to be joined together then ran to the dimmer wire wheich i think is gray..if you need help i can pull the trim that runs down the windshield to see which ones i put together..
Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #182

it gets dimmer when the headlights are on, but its just too dim to see in the daylight most of the time
Old 11-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #183

it gets dimmer when the headlights are on, but its just too dim to see in the daylight most of the time
ok then if you unhook the dimmer wire it should stay bright all the time and wont change no matter if the headlights are on off
Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #184

i know that. i cant see it during the day, i have no issues at night
Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #185

OK guys I'm going to need some help here. Please bare with me as I am a total noob at electrical and wiring.
I have a 1991 first Gen Jimmy, I just picked up an Overhead console from another first gen but it did not come with a wiring harness. So I went to the junkyard ands picked up a harness from a 2nd gen blazer (99?) All the way from the overhead console to the firewall. I also picked up the digital meter that's suppose to say the temperature and compass. So what I need is help on how to connect everything to make sure it'll all work. I'm guessing I'm gonna need A temp sensor and compass sensor? where are they located in the second Gen and what do they look like?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #186

i know that. i cant see it during the day, i have no issues at night
with mine unhooked its b right day or night..so maybe as someone mentioned before that you have a bad unit..
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #187

Quote: Originally Posted by 1991JIMMY4X4
OK guys I'm going to need some help here. Please bare with me as I am a total noob at electrical and wiring.
I have a 1991 first Gen Jimmy, I just picked up an Overhead console from another first gen but it did not come with a wiring harness. So I went to the junkyard ands picked up a harness from a 2nd gen blazer (99?) All the way from the overhead console to the firewall. I also picked up the digital meter that's suppose to say the temperature and compass. So what I need is help on how to connect everything to make sure it'll all work. I'm guessing I'm gonna need A temp sensor and compass sensor? where are they located in the second Gen and what do they look like?
Is your console a mode or on/off console? All you need is the temp sensor, compass is built in. If its a mode console it won't work in your truck.

You need to know the year of console for the temp sensor because 98+ are different, the temp will be about 30 degrees off.

Also there should be wiring diagrams at the first of this thread to tell you where the wires go.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #188

Quote: Originally Posted by 24digger
Is your console a mode or on/off console? All you need is the temp sensor, compass is built in. If its a mode console it won't work in your truck.

You need to know the year of console for the temp sensor because 98+ are different, the temp will be about 30 degrees off.

Also there should be wiring diagrams at the first of this thread to tell you where the wires go.
Thanks. It is the on/off console. I can always go back to the junkyard and pull the sensor off the same blazer I got it from. Just need to know where the temp sensor is located
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #189

its right behind the grille
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #190

cool thanks man, you wouldnt happen to have a picture of one would you? just so i know exactly what im looking for next time im at the yard lol
Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #191

here you go!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #192

Quote: Originally Posted by xtrememeasures10
Thats baddasss!!! I wanna do that 2 my truck bad!

hey whats up! do u know if that console in ur pic thats powder coated blue is compatible with an 02 sonoma ? just curious, thanks !
Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #193
41chev

puting 2000 short console in 41 chev, i bet i have questions later.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #194
41chev

need wireing diagram or info. putting 2000 blazer short ohc in 41 chev. advice?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #195
That 3D picture dude guy

if it is the 1 with the mode function, you need the ECU out of a blazer. The console works off of information from that to get gas mileage, range, etc. If all it has is the temperature and compass, all you need to do is find a switched power and ground and then wire into the vehicle speed sensor. The wire for the temperature sensor will be stand alone.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #196
41chev

thanks. it has mode and home link. i got the lighted visor mirrors also. where is speed sencer. speedo in 41 is electric.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #197
That 3D picture dude guy

It depends on your drivetrain. It is probably in the transmission.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #198

Has anyone tried to change the display color on the compass and temp display?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #199
Jimmyfied

Quote: Originally Posted by DfntPntbll
if it is the 1 with the mode function, you need the ECU out of a blazer. The console works off of information from that to get gas mileage, range, etc. If all it has is the temperature and compass, all you need to do is find a switched power and ground and then wire into the vehicle speed sensor. The wire for the temperature sensor will be stand alone.
So I if I switched to the mode from the on off one it goes to dashes after a period of time do I need to ecu as well
Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #200

01 reg cab long console w/trip
Attached Thumbnails
OVERHEAD CONSOLE Owners Please Post HERE!!!!!!!-dscn0007.jpg   OVERHEAD CONSOLE Owners Please Post HERE!!!!!!!-dscn0008.jpg   OVERHEAD CONSOLE Owners Please Post HERE!!!!!!!-dscn0009.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.