no headlights, help!!! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

no headlights, help!!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #1

no headlights, help!!!

00 s10, drove home the other night and everything was fine, went to get up for work next day and no headlights, my parkin lights come on and my turn signals work but no headlights, but wen i turn on the headlights my hi beam light on the cluster comes on but doenst go off, also wuts wierd if my truck has led tails in it, so wen my lights were on my turn signals would blink fast, then slow wen the ligts were off, no the weird part is wen the trucks not runninf the signals blink slow no matter if the switch is on or not, but if i start the truck up, they blink fast, dont make much sense to me, anyone got any ideas?? i swaped out eh realy under the hood, chekd the fuses and nothing, i got another switch from junk yards and still no headlight, i searched snd didnt com up with anything,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: no headlights, help!!!

i had a headlight problem mine wouldnt come on either so i checked the fuses on the sude of the dash and didnt realize the fuses under the hood had fuses for the headlight,you could have crossed wires,did you check the fuses under the hood in the black box?
Old 10-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #3

yeah cheked em all, all seem good, i even swapped relays with the starter relay since its the same and still nothing, and the hi-beam indicator stays on also, only time i get it to go off is if i override the DRLs, then i tried jumping the wires on the block uinder the hood, adn the headlight relay has 4 prongs on it, so i jumpd a hot side with the opposite side wich wasnt hot, then cheks the fuses rght beside the relay and the fuses got hot, but no headlights, so i tried the other 2 prongs and then the fuses were dead

HELP!!!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #4

burnt out bulbs mayb? thats weired,keep checking,hopefully somone can help or i get an idea of it soon,good luck
Old 10-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #5

yeah its bugggin the hell out of me, i need to get this fixed, but yeah the bulbs are good, i been reading about a BCM, wut is this??? could this be my prob?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #6

could it be the dimmer/turn signal switch on the column? me and my dad were wondering if the a badder dimmer switch would make the headlught not wanna come on
Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #7

um, same thing happened to my friend, in his ford f 150... but ill ask him and se what he did... um fuses good?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #8

I am helping working on this. What I need is a wiring schematic from the fuse box to the light switch to under hood fuse box and to the headlights themselves.

I am not getting power to the headlight relay in the under hood fusebox. I think it is a ground problem because the high beam light on the instrument cluster is on all the time when you turn the head lights on. I need to know where the grounds are on the headlight system so I can check them or run a new ground.

If anyone can help, please post up where I can get a schematic. The Haynes/Chilton manuals schematics are horrible and the wires do not match up like they should.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by AIMiniS10
I am helping working on this. What I need is a wiring schematic from the fuse box to the light switch to under hood fuse box and to the headlights themselves.

I am not getting power to the headlight relay in the under hood fusebox. I think it is a ground problem because the high beam light on the instrument cluster is on all the time when you turn the head lights on. I need to know where the grounds are on the headlight system so I can check them or run a new ground.

If anyone can help, please post up where I can get a schematic. The Haynes/Chilton manuals schematics are horrible and the wires do not match up like they should.

Thanks in advance!

sounds like we are having same problem then, do you keep blowing the number 7 fuse place in inside fuse panel?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #10

No, there are no fuses blowing. Everything is good within the fuse box. I think this one that I am working on is a ground problem because I am measuring voltage across the fuse from the positive terminal of the battery. This is usually a ground problem in my past. I got a wiring diagram from a guy on here and I will have to look into it tonight.

Good luck on your search. If you come up with anything, let me know if I can help.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #11

its fixed!!! well kinda, lol, ended up being a bad ground goin to the headlight relay under the hood, we didnt get to see if it lost contact in the fuse blok, we couldnt get it apart, but anywho, it was gettin enough ground to make the relay clik, but not enough for the headlights, so as a temp fix we just rans a new ground from the ground on the relay, not i got headlights!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #12

Cool Re: no headlights, help!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by whiteyS10
its fixed!!! well kinda, lol, ended up being a bad ground goin to the headlight relay under the hood, we didnt get to see if it lost contact in the fuse blok, we couldnt get it apart, but anywho, it was gettin enough ground to make the relay clik, but not enough for the headlights, so as a temp fix we just rans a new ground from the ground on the relay, not i got headlights!!!!!!!
Where is the ground for the headlight relay? I am having the same problem with my '00.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 AM   #13

I need help!!! I have the same problem with my s10. At first one headlight was dim. I re wired the ground from my good headlight(Drivers) to the dim one(Passenger). It fixed it. about a week later, the top turn signal on the drivers side went dim. Now tonight My headlights just went poof. My parklights-turn signals and brake lights/running lights work fine. I had to drive 13 miles over a WV mountain to get my extreme home. Please help me out, Im lost. I took a test light and checked the fuse on my dash, Its good. I have no power at the headlight plug-in tho. Please help, I have a car show the 29th and i really need lights.

Also, after I fixed the dim headlight, I upgraded to the projector headlights. I straight wired the projector to the battery and nothing, but the angel ring works like that.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #14

Having the same problem as these 2 :-\
Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by bencoates00
Having the same problem as these 2 :-\
I also am experiencing problems! 2000 S10, had perfect lights then one morning they were really dim. I did have high beam on pass side, but not on drive side. Replaced pass side low beam bulb, lights came back to normal brightness. Drivers side still dim. I don't think the DRL's are working, it seems like the pass side headlight is always on. If I override the DRL's with the dome button all the lights shut down, then going to manual headlights they come on just like it has been, bright on pass side, both bulbs real dim on drive side. I am going to delve into this this morning, and check some voltages and look at some grounds. I have read this forum fairly extensivly the last few days and I think it is one of the best out there, keep up the good work.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #16

Just an update, mine was a blown 15 amp fuse, next to the headlight relay. I guess whene the pass side lowbeam blew it took out the fuse. I didn't think a fuse could have blown at first because I had dim lights. Oh well easy fix, good luck with yours.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #17

OK I'm having the same sort of problem.
im 90 % sure its a ground problem on mine.
if i drive over a bump or jar the truck a bit my leadlights come on.
has anyone tried making a new ground for the fuse box under the hood?
i checked the grounds on the wires off the headlight wires and they seem fine.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #18

I have 2000 s10 no drl or headlights only had it a week an headlights worked two times read post on here tried dome over ride an pulled drl relay still no headlights or drl all other lights are working can some give me some info to help thanks
Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #19

fixed mine! after a few days of being lost in wires and chasing grounds because i was certain it was not a fuse problem....... moral of the story, check every fuse that has anything to do with lights. mine ended up being the rt high beam wire chaffed, blew a random light fuse and the parking light fuse. could have saved alot of time had i just listened to advice and checked ALL the fuses. stupid electrical.

forgot to mention that my problem was no headlights, no tails, turns worked and brake worked. got the high beam indicator when i would turn the headlight switch on.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #20

HELP HELP !!!!
I have no headlight NOW
Checked All Above Older Post Suggestions
What Is The Ground for the Headlight Relay anyone?
This is What I Changed
1-Headlight relay
2-DRL Relay
3-Bulbs
4-All Fuses Even Though They Was Ok

Daytime Running Lights Work All Day, At Night Of Course im in The Dark
I Have Parking Lights Turn Signals ,But No Headlights.
After A Very Long Time Sometimes The Lights Will Just Work, It Happened To Me At The Store One Night I Sat In The Parking Lot For Over A Hour Then All Of A Sudden I Got Lights To Finally Drive Home, Once The Lights Work The Brights An Headlight Switch On The Dash Works As It Should.But Once I Go Dark The Dash Switch Doesn't Turn Nothing On Other Then The Parking Lights. Not Even The Brights Will Work
Any Info PLEAS Also My Email Is towm8tr@aol.com
Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #21
S-less

I had the same problem. It turned out to be a bad wire connection at the muli-switch(turned signal switch). fixed it and its been perfect ever since.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #22

Thanks Ill Look into that... I Accidently bumped the horn yesterday an the headlights turned on...So Ill Look into that loose connection.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #23

Can you guys post up some pics? I have wired problem now too. Headlights only work on high beam, left turn signal not working, and negative battery teinsl sparks when I try to put it back on. HELP, I'm f-ing scared!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.