How to: H4666-H4 conversion with HIDs and 4x6 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How to: H4666-H4 conversion with HIDs and 4x6

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #1

How to: H4666-H4 conversion with HIDs and 4x6

Okay, I just recently did the H4 conversion on my truck, and ran into problems I couldn't find a solution to on here so I figured I would give a shot at a how to myself to maybe answer some questions others may have.

First a parts list:
I used a set of H4 high temp pigtails from Autozone brand was doorman, cost me like $12 for the 2 only sold in package of two.
Wire strippers
Wire crimpers
some form of wire connectors(butt, quick splice, bullet, spades, etc...)
H4 bulb recommended but can test with just the HIDs

Okay first off you cut off you original h4666 plug on the DRIVER'S side. There will be 2 brown wires(low beams), 2 green wires(high beams), and one blue wire(ground). You will need to see which of the brown wires jump over to the passenger side.

Strip the ends of the brown wires and the blue wire. Twist the ends of the pigtail ground(black in my case) with the blue wire(ground). Then take the wire from the pigtail for the low beams(red in my case) and twist it with one of the browns. You can either just test with your HID kit that is already wired up or get an H4 bulb which should have came with your headlights if you're doing 4x6.

Turn on the lights, if you hear the relay kick on(if doing HID test) and no lights, wrong brown wire. If the H4 bulb doesn't kick on, wrong brown wire. If this is the case just switch to the other brown wire, and it should work just fine.

Once you have figured which wires belong together, use the splices of your choice to connect them permanently, I chose bullet connectors in case I need to disconnect them some day.

Also you need to disable your daytime lights, which if you have NO factory foglights, simply take out fuse 15. If you have factory foglights, check the how to on the forum to disable them.

If anyone needs help with HID wiring, I can help with that too. The kit I have is a 10000k, came with relay, balasts, bulbs, and all wiring for $60(shop here in Indiana I get killer deals at) I am also running just a black housing projector 4x6, paid $80 for them new. For $140 for HID and headlights.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Electrical Mod

User is: OffLine
Re: How to: H4666-H4 conversion with HIDs and 4x6

neat. But they'd be brighter if you didn't get the projector style.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #3

only way I could go without paying a ton heh I am just gonna get some driving lights. I had sealed beams.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Electrical Mod

Don't forget i have a 94 that also had sealed beams. I did the same addition, and mine cost about the same price total. But mine was $30 for the lamps. And $99 for the HID's, but they came with a relay harness and they have a high and low beam, but uses the HID. There's a few threads in here that show my set up.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #5

ah cool cool. I ain't too concerned about it, I love projectors my civic has them too, but no HID kit, just HID bulbs if that makes sense? Haha. I am just gonna get a set of KC driving lights and they will match my KC off road lights.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:25 AM   #6

hey man, I'm in idiana too, wanting to make the conversion, I was wondering where you got the hids from???? I've looked online and all the sites either look super sketchy, or are ridiculously high priced
Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
Electrical Mod

^^^DDMtuning.com
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #8

Thanks man, and def thanks for posting this! I've been getting sick of the sealed beams in my sten and wanted to do something like this but didn't know how!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #9

did it on mine. super easy
Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #10

That's a lot of glare, brutal :S
Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #11

just finished mine. not too hard ha. thanks for the help!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #12

can you swap beetween brights and dim if you do this??
Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
That's a lot of glare, brutal :S
add the glare to the purple Ricer look

do everyone a favor and use proper HID retro to zero out the glare.and go with a 5K or lower temp.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #14

I just did my conversion today I'm having a problem mine are no way brighter then the stock sealed beam and my passenger side blub cuts out after 13 minutes of use PLEASE I need help , Another thing I replaced my passenger side pigtail to the h4656 from 4666 on your conversion you said you did the driver side well I couldnt do my driver side for the fact that the battery is on the passenger side in which you must connect your relay to here is a picture of mine lit at night they barely have any glare and I have flash lights that put out more light I'm really pissed off about the whole situation because my girl bought them for me as a birthday present off ebay and im not sure about returning them after they have been hooked up aslo the brand of the kit is O-nex please can some one guide me in the right direction into maybe fixing this problem or atleast figuring it out here
Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #15

Right after it cuts off i would check with the lights still on to see if you have power coming out of you ballast and power going into your ballast could be as simple as that and with the brightness what color did you get looks like 10k they should be brighter but the higher number you go the darker the color will be and harder to see
Old 08-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
Electrical Mod

The brightness is dependant upon the quality of housings and the color of lights you buy. The white/yellow will be the brightest.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #17

Quote: Originally Posted by mcguire6799
Okay, I just recently did the H4 conversion on my truck, and ran into problems I couldn't find a solution to on here so I figured I would give a shot at a how to myself to maybe answer some questions others may have.

First a parts list:
I used a set of H4 high temp pigtails from Autozone brand was doorman, cost me like $12 for the 2 only sold in package of two.
Wire strippers
Wire crimpers
some form of wire connectors(butt, quick splice, bullet, spades, etc...)
H4 bulb recommended but can test with just the HIDs

Okay first off you cut off you original h4666 plug on the DRIVER'S side. There will be 2 brown wires(low beams), 2 green wires(high beams), and one blue wire(ground). You will need to see which of the brown wires jump over to the passenger side.

Strip the ends of the brown wires and the blue wire. Twist the ends of the pigtail ground(black in my case) with the blue wire(ground). Then take the wire from the pigtail for the low beams(red in my case) and twist it with one of the browns. You can either just test with your HID kit that is already wired up or get an H4 bulb which should have came with your headlights if you're doing 4x6.

Turn on the lights, if you hear the relay kick on(if doing HID test) and no lights, wrong brown wire. If the H4 bulb doesn't kick on, wrong brown wire. If this is the case just switch to the other brown wire, and it should work just fine.

Once you have figured which wires belong together, use the splices of your choice to connect them permanently, I chose bullet connectors in case I need to disconnect them some day.

Also you need to disable your daytime lights, which if you have NO factory foglights, simply take out fuse 15. If you have factory foglights, check the how to on the forum to disable them.

If anyone needs help with HID wiring, I can help with that too. The kit I have is a 10000k, came with relay, balasts, bulbs, and all wiring for $60(shop here in Indiana I get killer deals at) I am also running just a black housing projector 4x6, paid $80 for them new. For $140 for HID and headlights.

nice job
Old 09-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #18

so what do we do with the brown wire that jumps to the passenger side? just leave it? im getting read to do my conversion and am a little confused,
Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #19

nvm, i found out you have to spin the 2 browns together =\ same with the greens, is there a reason you didnt hook up the highbeams? mine work fine.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
Texas dimes

i know this is an old thread ,but is what kzac is saying about the 2 brown wires and 2 greens correct?...im in the process of doing the conversion...thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #21

Yup. Mine still work so it must be right. Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.