how do i bypass neutral safety switch - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

how do i bypass neutral safety switch

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
how do i bypass neutral safety switch

ive got a 99 chevy s10 the safety switch has 4 wires i think two are purple and white one is solid purple and the other is brown i think. how do i bypass the safety switch?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
Better post-em.

Re: how do i bypass neutral safety switch

uhhh this a clutch safety switch?

why do u need to disable it?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Been around the block

If it's the clutch switch, it serves 2 functions.....1) completes the start circuit when you have it pushed in & 2) completes the speed control circuit when not pushed in. To bypass either/both functions, just jump a wire from one side to the other (both top & bottom) .
Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
forum idiot

yeah why are you doing this?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
mooninites are after me

remote start?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Registered Asshole

I jumped mine (manual) because I have remote start that's the only reason I could think of
Old 02-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
forum idiot

yeah but doing that is not safe
Old 02-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Lifts are for 4wds!

I agree, dont jump them

Not smart, bad things happen
Old 02-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Registered Asshole

only if your not the one startin it mine has been like that for 4 years never had anything bad happen. never been started in gear or anything its all how you take care of your shit
Old 02-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Lifts are for 4wds!

And what happens the first time your buddy starts the vehicle and doesn't know about this mod?

I find it stupid to disconnect it just for the hell of it
Old 02-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Registered Asshole

well mine is not diconnected for the hell of it it's for a reason. Also if he's my "buddy" then he will know about it
Old 02-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
mooninites are after me

Quote: Originally Posted by sdime99
only if your not the one startin it mine has been like that for 4 years never had anything bad happen. never been started in gear or anything its all how you take care of your shit
I thought about doing it, and yeah I dont park in gear, but that doest mean a shop will. Even if you tell a shop about it, your still the one at fault if someone gets hurt.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
Registered Asshole

Not sayin right or wrong just the way mine has been never had any problems. Also if it goes in a shop or anywhere out of ur hands thats what the valet switch is for.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
mooninites are after me

Valet switch for the alarm/remote start? Does it turn the safty switch in the clutch back on incase some turns the key in gear, like a new porter moving it in the lot?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
forum idiot

a buddy of mine put one in his mustang and he even cam up with a elaborate contraption to pull it out of gear...worked great but i would not pull it out of 5th for some reason...so he was like no one will ever park it in 5th..

well he went out bowling one night and his girl went out to get her purse and she got in and leaned on the shifter and it went into 5th..lol

so he remote starts it to show off to his friends and bam it starts then lands on the hood of the car in front of him...

it came out the next day..haha
Old 02-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
mooninites are after me

Quote: Originally Posted by orangesonoma
a buddy of mine put one in his mustang and he even cam up with a elaborate contraption to pull it out of gear...worked great but i would not pull it out of 5th for some reason...so he was like no one will ever park it in 5th..

well he went out bowling one night and his girl went out to get her purse and she got in and leaned on the shifter and it went into 5th..lol

so he remote starts it to show off to his friends and bam it starts then lands on the hood of the car in front of him...

it came out the next day..haha
Ouch, thats what worries me about doing that, some dumb luck I would have no control over.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
Registered Asshole

Quote: Originally Posted by hds1o
Valet switch for the alarm/remote start? Does it turn the safty switch in the clutch back on incase some turns the key in gear, like a new porter moving it in the lot?

No there is a way to do it not sure how. If its in valet mine is setup not to remote start. even if you hit the button. so the only way to start it is to get it and turn the key(in valet). So if its at a shop yeah someone could start it but, only if he is in it. 9 times out of 10 they will push the clutch in anyway. I do see everyone's point and they are good points thats just how mine is. If it ever gets started in gear I will pull it out but until then....
Old 02-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #18
mooninites are after me

No there is a way to do it not sure how. If its in valet mine is setup not to remote start. even if you hit the button. so the only way to start it is to get it and turn the key(in valet). So if its at a shop yeah someone could start it but, only if he is in it. 9 times out of 10 they will push the clutch in anyway. I do see everyone's point and they are good points thats just how mine is. If it ever gets started in gear I will pull it out but until then....
Personally, from working at carmax, I know how close cars get parked and that the cars get moved alot. All it takes is someone turning the key and its in the back bumper of another customers car. And with my luck, even with the 9 out of 10, I would get the one guy who didnt push the clutch and it would run over a lawyers bmw .
Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #19
Registered Asshole

I see your point but mine is also not a daily. It hasn't seen the road in over a year. So its really not a big deal to me.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #20

Quote: Originally Posted by orangesonoma
yeah why are you doing this?
yes it is a manual and because my truck will sometimes start and sometimes not. heres the thread about it http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/p...-start-389875/ and i think it has to do with the neutral safety switch
Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #21
mooninites are after me

Quote: Originally Posted by bnorton4432
yes it is a manual and because my truck will sometimes start and sometimes not. heres the thread about it http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/p...-start-389875/ and i think it has to do with the neutral safety switch
Ha! So your just trying to trouble shoot...well, um...guess we kinda jacked your thread huh?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #22
Registered Asshole

get a new safety switch
Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
Registered Asshole

Yeah didn't mean to wreck your thread bro!!!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #24
Electrical Mod

Could always add a switch somewhere on the shifter where its only closed if in neutral. Then use a relay to bypass the neutral safety switch. Basically you have the remote starter hooked up to the relay to give it power (pin 30). Use pin 87 to hook in after the clutch switch, verify that the relay is open when there is no power going to it. Then to activate the relay, hook it up to a good ground on pin 85, on pin 86, hook it up to the switch for the shifter in neutral and from there hook it also into the starter wire from the remote unit. This way you can still have regular starting capability and it should not start in any gear.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #25
Registered Asshole

wow you got a diagram??/lol yeah that would work just alot of work for something that really isn't that big of a deal
Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #26
Better post-em.

or just do somehtign simple like only allow remote start to work if the parkign brake is enguaged.

i have my safety switch disconnected because it broke somehow, pressed the clutch to start the truck one day and just heard a plastic crunch noise, looked thinking somehitngs under the clutch pedal truck wouldnt start lol.

decided to see what was up and the damn swich is busted in a few pieces, said screw it unplugged it unbent a paper clip and shoved it into the socket, worked great lol.

still havent fixed it, i just cut the plug off and soldered the wires together.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #27
Electrical Mod

wow you got a diagram??/lol yeah that would work just alot of work for something that really isn't that big of a deal
No, I just thought of that as I typed it, but I've thought about doing remote start on my truck, so I had thought it through a few weeks back. Just not worth the money to add it right now. I know you don't need to do it that way; the parking break on would also work, I was just thinking of the correct way. Since they now make kits for manuals, they work along the similiar principles I just said above. I can try to make a wiring diagram, just need to give me a couple days, busy a lot with college stuff.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #28

get a new safety switch
already changed it
Old 02-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #29

Quote: Originally Posted by deathphoenix99
Could always add a switch somewhere on the shifter where its only closed if in neutral. Then use a relay to bypass the neutral safety switch. Basically you have the remote starter hooked up to the relay to give it power (pin 30). Use pin 87 to hook in after the clutch switch, verify that the relay is open when there is no power going to it. Then to activate the relay, hook it up to a good ground on pin 85, on pin 86, hook it up to the switch for the shifter in neutral and from there hook it also into the starter wire from the remote unit. This way you can still have regular starting capability and it should not start in any gear.
i don't have a remote start. if you read the thread about my truck not starting it might make a little more sense and all that electrical stuff doesnt make sense to me. i need a wiring diagram or explained through colors
Old 02-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #30
Electrical Mod

Quote: Originally Posted by bnorton4432
i don't have a remote start. if you read the thread about my truck not starting it might make a little more sense and all that electrical stuff doesnt make sense to me. i need a wiring diagram or explained through colors
Sorry, I didn't read your other thread, but I posted the remote starter thing for whoever had also posted in your thread. So sorry about that. Hope this helps though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.