Head light relay location??? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Head light relay location???

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #1

Head light relay location???

Hey guys Im having some issues with my headlights going off and on in my 95 GMC JIMMY, Im thinking its the relay but Im having a hard time finding the damn relay. Ive done a search and still unble to get an a straight answer.Ive read thats its behind the glove box, some threads are saying its in the engine bay?Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Electrical Mod

User is: OffLine
Re: Head light relay location???

Headlights don't have a relay for 95. Just the headlight switch. Look at the wiring diagrams in my sig for more info.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #3

on my 97 blazer, all the headlight relays are in the glove box, i dont know about the 95, i know they changed a bunch of crap going into the 96-97. but phoenix is sayin that there isnt one, so im sure there isnt! what exactly is the problem youre having with your headlights though?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
Electrical Mod

In the glovebox, there is a Daytime Running lamps relay (If applicable). To access, you need to push on the top center of the access door and push down. There should be a up to 3 relays behind the panel. I believe they are (not in any order) DRL relay, Fuel Pump relay, and horn relay. I believe that is their location, 94 doesn't have the relays in the glove box, so it's a bit different for me.

But on 95-97, there isn't a "headlight" relay. The Headlights power goes through the multifunction switch. And while there were some subtle changes, 95-97 are about the same in how they are designed to work.

For Composites: If the DRL relay is bad, it shouldn't effect the headlights. The DRL is a parallel circuit to the headlight circuit, but if the relay goes bad, it's possible the left high beam won't work. This would be unlikely though as the DRL relay would have to lose connection or be stuck in the "on" position as the high beam ground is through the normally closed side of the relay. 96-97 is slightly different, but they both are very similiar in how they work, and the same thing applies. Neither one have "headlight" relays. If you don't have DRL's, then you won't have any relays in the headlight circuit.

For sealed beam: If the drl relay is stuck in the "on" position, the whole left headlight may not work, as the DRL relay is the ground for both high and low beam on the left side. Or it's possible the the ground will back feed through to the right side, making both headlights very dim. HI's and lows will be effected in this scenario. If you don't have DRL"s, then once again, no relays in the circuit.

OP: Could you tell me more about your problem, is it constant? How long does it take for them to turn off, and how long before they come back on? I'm guessing it could be a bad ground, or possibly a bad multifunction switch or headlight switch. I need a little bit more info to help you diagnose your problem.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #5

Holy smokes, havent been on here in a while. First of all thank you guys for the reply. I havent driven my truck for this very reason untill yesterday. I started my truck then turned on the headlights, the headlights turned on and stayed lit for about 3 minutes then turned back off. Headlights never came back on. Itll do this very same cycle.

Now the funny thing is that the only reason I thought that it would was the headlight relay is because I initially purchased a "headlight relay" and was provided one by advance auto.I believe they made a mistake and that thier not entirely sure what year a headlight relays applied to,
Anyhow where should I physically start to diagnose the problem? headlight switch? ground?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
i saw what you did there!

parts stores of this type arent welll known for having accurate listings and applications info especially for items such as this

best thing to do on something like this is to call the local chevy dealer parts counter and get a part number and then cross reference at a store
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #7

Problem fixed. Replaced relay in the glove box.. Thnx for the help guys
Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #8

Damn! I spoke too soon, its doin it again. What to do? what to do?......
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #9

UPDATE: I went ahead and replaced headlight switch. So far so good... (fingers crossed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.