Hazard Switch Busted - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Hazard Switch Busted

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 08:25 PM   #1
Executive Platinum Member

User is: OffLine
Hazard Switch Busted

I have a 1995 Chevrolet S10. I was taking off my dash to fix a squeak. Brooke the emergancy flasher switch on top of the steering wheel. So it wont shut off, just keeps flashing. So i shuved a tooth pick down there to hold it down from flashing. But I went to get it fixed, and I was told I would have to buy the whole turn signal handle switch and all that. Anyone know anything else, or what I have to do. Part #'s Costs? Thanks

t.minear@comcast.net
Old 11-23-2003, 01:54 AM   #2
No it's not riced.

well i did the same... rode around with a toothpick sticking up out of the steering column for a week and a half then totalled the truck
but my paint and body guy had looked that assembly up for me... don't know part # but it was gonna cost 60 for the assembly and if u get some1 to do it labor wont be cheap... that steering column is a bia to work on.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:55 PM   #3

Re: Hazard Switch Busted

Quote: Originally Posted by FatBabyJoe
well i did the same... rode around with a toothpick sticking up out of the steering column for a week and a half then totalled the truck
but my paint and body guy had looked that assembly up for me... don't know part # but it was gonna cost 60 for the assembly and if u get some1 to do it labor wont be cheap... that steering column is a bia to work on.

I just broke mine too, Do u have the part #?
Old 02-04-2004, 08:58 AM   #4

Same here, but I don't plan on using hazard lights anytime soon, so instead of using a toothpick, I took a piece of a buisness card, about 1/2" x 3/4", and stuck it on the right hand side of where the switch is. Turn signals still work, just no hazards, and no more toothpicks.

Last edited by s_mkustoms; 02-04-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:27 PM   #5

Its fixed now, it took me like 20 min to fix it and about 18 dls, i just went to the dealer and buy the part #15174447, took off the broken one and slide in the new one!
Old 02-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #6
ninety_nine_s_10

I just broke mine too when I was taking off my dash. However, the flashers are not on. They stay off. I have a 99 and I can stick my finger in the hole and push it down to turn them on if I need and I can push it again to turn them off.

Should I leave it? It looks better than that stupid thing showing. It looks a lot smoother and I don't think it'll hurt anything. But I'm just wondering if i should buy it and fix it or not.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by bryan11joseph
I just broke mine too when I was taking off my dash. However, the flashers are not on. They stay off. I have a 99 and I can stick my finger in the hole and push it down to turn them on if I need and I can push it again to turn them off.

Should I leave it? It looks better than that stupid thing showing. It looks a lot smoother and I don't think it'll hurt anything. But I'm just wondering if i should buy it and fix it or not.

Its up to you, i think mine looks better now cuz the one u get from the dealer is black and it looks cooler
Old 02-09-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
SK= Midwest's Elite

could i see some pics possibly on this....maybe even a how to....the hot glue that i got holdin the switch in place aint workin anymore...and it looks ghetto LOL
Old 02-09-2004, 11:06 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by SLAMnoma95
could i see some pics possibly on this....maybe even a how to....the hot glue that i got holdin the switch in place aint workin anymore...and it looks ghetto LOL

What i did was take off stering column cover, that means take off the dash bezel too, then i used a screw that i screwed in the piece left of the switch and i pulled it with a pliers. It was a lil hard but it worked for me, just be careful of not hit your windshield when it comes out, then slide the new switch put all back together and you are done.

Note: If you can grab the piece left with the pliers theres no need of use the screw.

I think this trick works on 98+ s-10 i dont know if it can work on other years or models
Old 02-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #10
www.psychotickustoms.net

Same problem here. I broke mine taking off the dash i have a 2001 S10. But i was just reaching in the hole and pushing it down and it would turn off and on. Now it doesn't. I need flashers to pass inspection. But was told by my dealer that it would cost over $500 to repair the part alone they stated was over $300 bucks. Talk about being analy raped by GM. So my idea is to find the wires that control the Hazards and rewire it to a button on my dash. Good idea? Bad Idea? and how could we go about this. Many of us have broken that hazard button. So this would be helpful to all of us if someone knows.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by chaotic
Same problem here. I broke mine taking off the dash i have a 2001 S10. But i was just reaching in the hole and pushing it down and it would turn off and on. Now it doesn't. I need flashers to pass inspection. But was told by my dealer that it would cost over $500 to repair the part alone they stated was over $300 bucks. Talk about being analy raped by GM. So my idea is to find the wires that control the Hazards and rewire it to a button on my dash. Good idea? Bad Idea? and how could we go about this. Many of us have broken that hazard button. So this would be helpful to all of us if someone knows.

When i went to the dealer to get it repaired they told me that they had to replace the whole switch and it was going to cost me $350, then i just buy a new button and i replaced by myself it cost me $18.
When you need to repair something of your truck, before going to the dealer first make a search in the forum and most of times you will find a quick answer and you will save alot of money
Old 02-10-2004, 01:26 PM   #12
www.psychotickustoms.net

Problem is. My Hazard switch in the steering collumn no longer functions. I gotta keep playing with it for the hazards to come on. Its totally fubared now.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:28 PM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by chaotic
Problem is. My Hazard switch in the steering collumn no longer functions. I gotta keep playing with it for the hazards to come on. Its totally fubared now.

Does the right and left turn signals work? if so you just have to replace the button. The part number of the button is somewhere up in the thread
Old 02-10-2004, 01:38 PM   #14
illusivedreams.org

Wow, my hazard switch broke a LONG LONG time ago....I had the same problem where it broke and the hazards would just keep flashing. I have my switch in place, but I wrapped it about 5 times (the switch and steering column) with black electrical tape. The only problem I have is if direct sunlight hits it for to long the tape expands and the switch loosens...hehe.

Thanks for the part number, ill have to try that.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by Scrapin' Frame

Thanks for the part number, ill have to try that.

No Prob!
Old 02-19-2004, 03:05 PM   #16

a friend of mine did that to her blazer, broke the hazzard switch off somehow. dealer told her they'd have to replace the whole switch assembly, so she went to the junkyard, got the whole steering column for like $100.. and i put it in for her. all i did was unbolt the first half from the inner firewall and replaced that part.. not a long process if you have the right tools, found that out the hard way...
Old 02-19-2004, 03:10 PM   #17
gumby green

a $300 mistake i dont want to make either
Old 02-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #18

the dealer said it would only work (that part #) on trucks like 2000 or newer i have a96 would it work on mine.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #19
Insane Network Engineer

You don't have to replace the entire switch assembly, only the button which runs about 15 bux. I did a complete how to with pics and part numbers here http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showth...=hazard+switch

You DO NOT have to remove the steering cowl. Only tools requires is a pair of needlenose pliers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.