S-10 Forum banner

h4 headlight conversion

10K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  bg's 
#1 ·
ok so i just installed an h4 headlight conversion on my 1994 chevy s10 and the low beams on them are very dim almost as if i had no headlights even on and my high beams are only as bright as my low beams should be. i think i have it wired up wrong but im really not too sure of how to wire them if anyone knows how please let me know thanks

#3 ·
Yeah, I did. What bulbs are in there? I burned up the supplied bulbs in less than a month. Both of them hi's and low's. Bought PIAA H4 bulbs after that.

Are you sure the bulb is dim and not the housing upside down? When upside down it would project the light up in the air instead of down to the pavement.

#4 ·
i just installed a new front end on my blazer.... same thing happened to me. One of the wires were loose going to the headlight. Take the headlight out. Leave wires on. Turn headlight on and jiggle the wires while ur up front. That will tell. Mine has those metal wire crimps taht slide onto the headlight assembly. One was a little loose causing the problem

#5 ·
ok i have the little metal wire crimps sliding into the original light socket also but like im really not sure which slot each one of them plugs into so i just played with it plugging them in and trying the high beams and low beams until it looked alright but then when i tried at night they really werent bright also the blubs are cheap bulbs if i was to get better bulbs i guess that could help but id rather make sure there all wired correctly first before chaning the bulbs as for the housing im pretty sure i have it correct

heres the kit that i have it comes with a little blue light built into the housing that i have yet to hook up cause im not too sure where it connects too any ideas??

#6 ·
You need to upgrade your wiring system. In other words use relays to power your lamps.
Here's site that will give you the skinny on doing it. Just go to TECH then the "Upgrade
your headlight wiring". It's all copyrighted so if you want to reprint any of it for other sites
you'll want to ask Dan first. I'm getting the cibie lamps and hi eff bulbs from him. I'm making
my own relay system but this will give you an idea of what to do..I'll post two links that'll
help you.
Horsepower For Your Headlights Part I
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

#7 · (Edited)
bg's said:
You need to upgrade your wiring system. In other words use relays to power your lamps.
Here's site that will give you the skinny on doing it. Just go to TECH then the "Upgrade
your headlight wiring". It's all copyrighted so if you want to reprint any of it for other sites
you'll want to ask Dan first. I'm getting the cibie lamps and hi eff bulbs from him. I'm making
my own relay system but this will give you an idea of what to do..I'll post two links that'll
help you.
Horsepower For Your Headlights Part I
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

i have the same exact thing that lowroller has above.....isnt there an wiring harness i can buy to wire them up? i did a search on yahoo and found this.

http://automobile.shopping-4-life.c.../PID-FHYem/Headlight-Relay-Conversion-Harness

i also saw something on ebay.

lowroller......their called city lights. u can run power to them and put a switch on them. i ordered mine without them.

#8 ·
I bought the same kit. If you can, return it. Not that great. Anyways, used PIAA H4 bulbs, low draw and high output. No need to upgrade harness.

#10 ·
CRMW70 said:
I bought the same kit. If you can, return it. Not that great. Anyways, used PIAA H4 bulbs, low draw and high output. No need to upgrade harness.
The above member may be right. I don't know about PIAA bulbs. I do know they've
been around a long time and are used by a lot of people. So you might try CRMW70's
suggestion. The wiring is a lot easier than you think and does takes a lot of power demand
and reduces it. I'm wiring mine with parts avail locally for around 30.00 to 35.00 bucks.
I'm going the way that I know works the best for me. I sure wouldn't pay 85.95 for that
wiring kit. It doesn't have the extra heavy duty headlight connectors. I'm using 12 and
10 gauge wiring for the replacement wiring.

Head light design also makes a big difference. The Cibie's are expensive, but one of the
very best out there.

#11 ·
how much would it cost to rewire my headlights? and also does it have alot of demand on the battery? cuz i already am draining my battery as it is i might have to install a second battery

#14 ·
It ought to. The picture may not be of the kit. You'd want two plugs as you only hace one headlamp
bulb per side. A right and a left. The kit is for a two h4 bulb system. As far as those lil blue parking
lamps, you can splice into your parking lite harness. That's how I have mine on the Autopals I
have now. The Cibie's will also have the lil parking light. It is faitly easy to do. Contact customer
service at Summit about the kit, but it appears all is there. All you have to do is plug in, bolt up
and yer good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.