Fuel pump relay hot as hell blowing fuses - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Fuel pump relay hot as hell blowing fuses

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
Stepsides are cool

User is: OffLine
Fuel pump relay hot as hell blowing fuses

I have 97 4.3 s10. The number 9 which is a ecm/fuel pump fuse keeps blowing. after messing around, i noticed the relay is getting fvking hot as hell where you can barely even touch it. when this happens the fuse blows. so far i have changed the fuel pump and swapped a friends ecu in and it is still doing the same thing. everyone tells me its a bad ground but where in the hell am i supposed to start? hopefully this has happened to someone before and they can give me some insight
Old 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #2

Re: Fuel pump relay hot as hell blowing fuses

If this were my truck, First thing id do is swap the relay with a different one. Dont buy one, swap with another that is the same.
Find out which wire coming off the pump if ground and run onother one to be sure its grounded good. Second be sure the ground wire coming off the relay is good. I wonder if the relay is bad and shorting inside. Hope so for you as that would be easy fix.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Stepsides are cool

just tried that and the grounds seem to be good test light... I'm starting to think it could be the voltage regulator?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #4

Maybe pull the alternator and have that checked out.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Stepsides are cool

its for sure charging and i have an extra one sitting in the garage should i try and throw it on?n how could that be blowing the fuse just curious?

Last edited by xxannihilationx; 10-29-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #6

Are you talking about the voltage regulator on the alternator or some other one?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Stepsides are cool

eh to be honest i have no clue where it is located...i was reading in a repair manual and i was looking at electrical diagrams and noticed it was on the circuit that is popping fuses. i figured this would make since that it could be the voltage regulator because it only pops them when i accelerate. it will idle forever. is the voltage regulator in the alternator itself?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
Stepsides are cool

oh and btw i called advance auto parts and they told me it was like 35 dollars for a voltage regulator
Old 10-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #9

Yeah I think the voltage regulator is usually on the alternator. Maybe there is more than one but I dont really know.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Been around the block

You obviously have a high resistance somewhere in that circuit. Have you checked the f/p connector for corrosion or looseness that would cause high resistance?? This is a known issue...that's why many new f/p manufacturers include a new connector pig-tail to install with new pump. High resistance will cause excessive heat throughout the entire circuit (fuse, relay included)...seems you are running just below the threshold of the fuse limit at idle & when you demand higher fuel volume (acceleration), the pump has to work harder (more current), then you cross that threshold & the fuse pops.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
always something new

User is: Online

i had the same problem...it's the fuel pump !...even if it's running at the correct pressure . i tried changing filter to see if it corrected problem , but it did not . replaced pump and heat was gone ....Fixed !
Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 AM   #12
Stepsides are cool

Quote: Originally Posted by S10dude
i had the same problem...it's the fuel pump !...even if it's running at the correct pressure . i tried changing filter to see if it corrected problem , but it did not . replaced pump and heat was gone ....Fixed !
well i thought that would be it to but i replaced the pump and the filter and its still doing the same thing. the new fuel pump did come with a new connector. thats whats leading me to think its a voltage regulator.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
Stepsides are cool

ok bump for help

i have changed the alternator, fuel pump/filter, computer, new relay.

im so boggled with this. i havent drove my truck in over a month and im getting extremely frustrated with it. i don't have the money to just take it to a shop and have them charge me 50 dollars an hour. any help please? i need this thing running again.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
SSRT-S10

I had one of these issues in my past on a customers truck. We installed a fuel pump in it.
1)check the ground near the fuel pump on chassis. (alot of times it looks connected good but I usually take a small disk grinder or sandpaper and sand the chassis and the washer-wire eyelet where the bolt goes thru to make sure it connects good.)
2) on some models the ground connects to the bed with an optional ground to chassis in front of bed or rear near light connections( i call these the oddball ones...they rare)
3) if you got omn meter or power probe.., start at relay and probe the wire checking to see where the most resistance is... get under truck and check to see if any wires ripped or bent badly(it causes relays to get hot)
4) when u installed f/p.., u did put the new connector on end of old wires? and soldered the connections..right? i have had rare ones pop up from the crimped connections..they would work but would fail at random times.
5) on some of the cheap made f/p pumps.., the internal connector from the inside going to the outside may be defective... I have seen new ones from various parts houses be like this....

Hope this helps...
L8taz
Old 11-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
Stepsides are cool

my nightmare, thank you for the helpful info. i went through all of that and still didn't find anything but i did ohm some grounds and found some that weren't good and it helped my volts stay up while my compressors were on. anyway, i found the problem. about 2 weeks before all this happened i pulled my head unit out and put it back in. apparently, the wiring harness that goes to the fuel pump relay, coming from the fuse panel runs behind the headunit. idk how it happend but i pulled my headunit out and it hasnt blew yet! it must have been grounding out on the unit or something. so thank you all for the help!

Last edited by xxannihilationx; 11-10-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #16

I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same problem. So when you say head unit do you mean your CD player just maken sure cause I took mine out the day before all this started and I wonder if our trucks maybe haven the same problem....
Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
Electrical Mod

head unit=radio.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #18

Yea Thats what I was saying thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #19

I have 97 S10 and can't find fp relay or prime wire. Can anyone help me?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #20
Electrical Mod

relay is in the glove box behind the hidden access panel on the left side.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #21

Quote: Originally Posted by deathphoenix99
relay is in the glove box behind the hidden access panel on the left side.
Found those. There are three identical relays there. Any Idea which?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #22

Quote: Originally Posted by Billbobagns
Found those. There are three identical relays there. Any Idea which?
Also, where it that Prime connector. I've looked all around the engine compartment for a red wire hanging lose with a female connector, but can find non.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.