Electric cooling fan. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Electric cooling fan.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Electric cooling fan.

Just installed dual fan setup from a v6 camaro. Install went nice and works great. Wired up with relays to an adjustable thermo control. The unit also has an input from the ac compressor. One problem though. With s10s the ac compressor kicks on when the defrost is used. So this kicks on fans when they don't need to be. Is there a different place to hook the wire for ac up that will only activate fans when ac is selected on control in cab? And not on defrost.

sent from HTC G2 on t mobile
Old 12-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #2

Re: Electric cooling fan.

Another question, you guys using a thermo control with a temp probe where are you guys mounting it? I mounted it to the radiator, but i dont think thats good. It cycles the fan too much and too quickly on and off, With the dual fans and shroud completely covering the radiator, i think it fools the temp probe too quickly. So i moved it and taped it around the upper radiator hose. And problem solved. I dont like this hack solution though. I picked up and adjustable control with a thread in sensor. Suggestions on where to thread the sensor into.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #3

I threaded my fans sensor into the right hand head. I removed the plug above the 2 front cylinders and threaded the sensor in.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

You always want it to turn on the fans any time the compressor is running, including defrost. You need to pull air through the condenser.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
goin broke but n style

the a/c coming on in defrost is the way it is designed. EVERY car on the road with a working a/c system will activate the a/c compressor while selector is in defrost.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by S15vortecpwr
the a/c coming on in defrost is the way it is designed. EVERY car on the road with a working a/c system will activate the a/c compressor while selector is in defrost.
I knew every gm car I've ever had did this. However, my mustang gt does not run compressor for defrost. Nor did the geo tracker I drove a few winters ago.
Poor warm up when defrost is on and fans are roaring when it 25degrees out. What's the logic behind this?
What about unhooking compressor over the winter?

*sent from autoguide android app*
Old 12-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by AWD V8
I threaded my fans sensor into the right hand head. I removed the plug above the 2 front cylinders and threaded the sensor in.

Anyproblems with unbolting the dipstick?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #8

CONDENSER

This is the area in which heat dissipation occurs. The condenser, in many cases, will have much the same appearance as the radiator in you car as the two have very similar functions. The condenser is designed to radiate heat. Its location is usually in front of the radiator, but in some cases, due to aerodynamic improvements to the body of a vehicle, its location may differ. Condensers must have good air flow anytime the system is in operation. On rear wheel drive vehicles, this is usually accomplished by taking advantage of your existing engine's cooling fan. On front wheel drive vehicles, condenser air flow is supplemented with one or more electric cooling fan(s).

As hot compressed gasses are introduced into the top of the condenser, they are cooled off. As the gas cools, it condenses and exits the bottom of the condenser as a high pressure liquid.

^That is why your fan will always run when the AC system is in operation.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

I fully know why the fan would run in ac position. But what is the purpose of having electric fan running when trying to warm truck in 20 degree weather with the defrost on? This just tremendously slows warm up.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #10

How? The thermostat doesn't open until it reaches operating temp anyways.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
S-Series Sucker

I wish I had an answer for you, it doesn't make sense for the fans to turn on when it's cold out. One of the benefits of the efan is supposed to be quicker warm-ups lol.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
Better post-em.

yea no crap haha i hate my blazer when it does that.

my 95 s10 deforst extremely well with no ac from the factory, i feel there isnt a reason to activate the ac system to "dry out" already dry winter...

i read somewhere its so the compressor circulates and runs in the winter so come spring/summer your ac compressor isnt locked up
Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by 992drjimmy
Anyproblems with unbolting the dipstick
Nope, I just made this little extension to move it out of the way. If left unsupported it would likely crack and break off.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #14

The temp controller has a wire that goes to the ac compressor. Since using defrost runs compressor this in turn runs the dual elec fans. Till summer I have disconnected that wire from compressor and pulled ac relay. Doesn't make sense to be constantly running the ac for heat to defrost.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #15

*Waits for the thread next summer....My AC compressor seized.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by Zeeke98
*Waits for the thread next summer....My AC compressor seized.
I do see where they should be cycled occasionally to MAYBE prevent seizing. In my 98 mustang gt the ac compressor does not run with defrost. Never has. My 97 jimmy has a r134 leak so by summers end ac doesnt work. So compressor doesnt run all winter. Works every year when i put r134 in it. This year though i plan to fix it right.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
Electrical Mod

It won't hurt to not use the a/c for the winter, I had my a/c setup on a switch so that I could manually disable it for winter use and expecially since the 2.2 was underpowered for a/c at idle. As for the fan being on with the a/c, YES, if the truck is not moving faster than about 25-35 mph, then the fan NEEDS to be on if the A/C is on. It's very hard on the system to not have air moving through the condensor when the a/c is running. I found this out the hard way when my a/c fan went bad. When idling with the a/c running, it would overpressure and luckily the high pressure switch would kick the a/c off, but it's still hard on the system to keep doing that. And it gets up to temp really quickly, so the fan is needed early on.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by deathphoenix99
It won't hurt to not use the a/c for the winter, I had my a/c setup on a switch so that I could manually disable it for winter use and expecially since the 2.2 was underpowered for a/c at idle. As for the fan being on with the a/c, YES, if the truck is not moving faster than about 25-35 mph, then the fan NEEDS to be on if the A/C is on. It's very hard on the system to not have air moving through the condensor when the a/c is running. I found this out the hard way when my a/c fan went bad. When idling with the a/c running, it would overpressure and luckily the high pressure switch would kick the a/c off, but it's still hard on the system to keep doing that. And it gets up to temp really quickly, so the fan is needed early on.
Agree totally with what you wrote. Makes perfect sense to need fan with ac. But dont need ac with winter defrost.

Running the 2 camaro fans when its 20 degrees outside trying to warm the engine to defrost the windshield just makes no sense. So ive disabled the fans coming on with defrost and pulled the AC relay for the winter.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #19
Electrical Mod

It helps because it removes moisture from the system, that's the reason it's on. But I agree, normally you can get by without a/c to defrost. I mean my truck came without a/c and it worked fine for 14 years before I installed A/C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.