S-10 Forum banner

Drivers side HID not coming on.

579 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ZQ8 Blazer 
#1 ·
I just noticed this happening once I installed my stereo system. The passengers side always comes on fine. The drivers side doesn't come on probably 75% of the time, but when I switch to hi beam and back to lo it comes on, flickers for about 10 sec, and then is solid. It used to do this a long time ago, but I bought a harness to wire directly to the battery and everything worked properly.

What could cause this?

#2 ·
The driver's side HID is farther away from the battery. If that side of the harness grounds through the harness back to the battery ground, the circuit for that HID is about 3 times as long as the passenger side.

I had bought a harness with the long ground. I modified it so that I could ground it near the ballast. That solved the problem.

Also if the wires in the harness are light gauge the voltage will drop off quickly. I have also had to add an additional power wire from the relay to the left HID ballast on one car to increase the overall wire gauge to that HID to avoid voltage drop.

Hopefully you can upgrade your HID harness with the above to work more consistently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.