Converting Manual Windows and Locks to Power!?!? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Converting Manual Windows and Locks to Power!?!?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #1

Question Converting Manual Windows and Locks to Power!?!?

First off, I have spent the last few days combing through these forums and what a killer resource!! This place is great!

Now on to the questions - I just bought a 2001 S10 (2WD, 2.2L auto, extended cab w/o third door) that has manual locks and windows. I would like to upgrade these to power and was wondering if anyones knows if the door wiring harness has the power window and lock connectors in tact but "taped back". I was hoping I could just buy actuators, regulators, and switches and wire it up myself.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading my post!!

- Zach
Old 07-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Photoshop Whore

User is: OffLine
Re: Converting Manual Windows and Locks to Power!?!?

ebay store "s10warehouse" has everything you'd ever need...all stock actuators, power window motors, switches, EVERYTHING...
I bought everything there for around 50 bucks shipped, still haven't installed it yet though.

Let me know how you do it, I don't have any idea about wiring, with no block to hook all the wires up to, I'm going to have to make it up myself!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #3

Thanks BIG!! S10warehouse is the sh*t! Another killer resource! I will let you know if I go with one of his kits.

Quote: Originally Posted by BIGpoppasmurf
ebay store "s10warehouse" has everything you'd ever need...all stock actuators, power window motors, switches, EVERYTHING...
I bought everything there for around 50 bucks shipped, still haven't installed it yet though.

Let me know how you do it, I don't have any idea about wiring, with no block to hook all the wires up to, I'm going to have to make it up myself!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
2001 ZR2

I just bought a pair of power regulators from s10warehouse, too. I'm looking to convert my 95 from manual windows to power with them. Does anyone know if GM made S10s with power windows but manual locks? I'm looking for a switch panel for my manual to power window conversion, but they all seem to have the lock switch, too. S10warehouse only deals in 98+, so no help there, and a general EBay search didn't turn up any switch panels w/ window switches, but no lock switches. Any help / guidance would be appriciated.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:02 AM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by bassguy354
I just bought a pair of power regulators from s10warehouse, too. I'm looking to convert my 95 from manual windows to power with them. Does anyone know if GM made S10s with power windows but manual locks? I'm looking for a switch panel for my manual to power window conversion, but they all seem to have the lock switch, too. S10warehouse only deals in 98+, so no help there, and a general EBay search didn't turn up any switch panels w/ window switches, but no lock switches. Any help / guidance would be appriciated.
I am planning on doing this, but with both power options, and in the process of researching everything, I've found that the power window option also included power locks and power mirrors under the Convenience Group "ZQ6", so no, you cannot find the switch panel without power locks...

Nick
Old 09-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Panda s10 driving mofo.

Quote: Originally Posted by NTL1991
I am planning on doing this, but with both power options, and in the process of researching everything, I've found that the power window option also included power locks and power mirrors under the Convenience Group "ZQ6", so no, you cannot find the switch panel without power locks...

Nick

however, you can get two of the rear door switches from a blazer and that includes only the window switch. i have everything i need, i just don't know how to wire it up!!!!! please someone give us all a wiring diagram!!!!!!!

Austin.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Bumping this thread. If there is anyone that has successfully done a manual to power conversion, please post!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Works too much!

I did a power window conversion in my 97. I didn't use the factory switches though. It is very easy to do. The hardest part for me was drilling out the rivets and putting new ones in the power window tracts. The window motors have 2 wires. Both of the wires are positive and negative. Depending on which way you connect power and ground determines which way the motor moves. I used a 6 prong switch for the windows. I can give you a diagram of the switch I used if needed.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Yes that would be awesome. I plan to modify a center console where the change holder or cd holder would be to house like 4 or 5 rocker switches for different accesories like windows, door locks, fogs, amp cut offs etc.

Have you done the power lock conversion? I think the windows would be easy to figure out as long as you have a diagram, but I'd like to get an alarm soon to match the remote start thats sitting in my closet, and well why have an alarm if you have manual locks
Old 09-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
Works too much!

No I didnt do locks, I have shaved doors so thats my locks. Let me draw that diagram up for you.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
Works too much!

Computer is being retarded so I can't open paint to draw the diagram. As soon as I can I will post the diagram.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Panda s10 driving mofo.

i did it!!!!! but its so freaking easy. the hardest part is getting the new motor assembly in the tracks. i used stock everything. when i get home tonight i'll post up the switch diagram and also how i did mine. my motors didn't bolt in to the stock holes i had to drill new ones.... wiring was a bitch until i figured out how to do it. my finger got burned pretty bad for it too.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
Works too much!

Did you use a different motor than a stock s10 motor? Mine went in the stock holes.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #14
Panda s10 driving mofo.

i used ones out of a bravada and a blazer....
Old 09-24-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
Works too much!

I am still having problems with my computer so I can upload the diagram. This is the best I can do.

__ / __
window + / window -

__ / __
fused power / ground

__ / __
window - / window +
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #16
Panda s10 driving mofo.

this is the diagram for a five point switch like the ones from a 4 door blazer....

the switch i used looks like this, and can be used for windows or locks....

im working on a how to so bear with me....

Last edited by PandaS10; 09-24-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
My New Wheels

Quote: Originally Posted by Zhoenix
Thanks BIG!! S10warehouse is the sh*t! Another killer resource! I will let you know if I go with one of his kits.
I have searched 15 different ways, what is there EXACT Name Please...
Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #18
My New Wheels

I found it...
Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #19
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Kick ass thanks for the replies Panda and laydout97. Will be doing power locks, windows, rearview mirror, remote start, and alarm soon
Old 10-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #20

ok so instead of making a new thread im just gonna bring this one back, so what is the exact method of wiring up power doors and windows, i have a set off stock doors with all stock parts, i just need to know where to run wires to get power from??/

thanks

jay
Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #21
NO REGRETS

dammit people.....

Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #22

I've converted both my windows & doors from manual to power.

Unfortunately you're dreaming if you think the wiring is there. There is no wiring, no relays, and no fuses. You're on your own up a creek as far as that is concerned.

That said... new door locks are easy... just drill & install actuators a few inches from the lock- a little bent hook clamped to the existing bar is all it needs. You can pickup power from in the dash console, or you can bring it through the firewall (You'll want power thats live at all times, which the ignition has). I brought mine through the firewall since I have a custom box with relays & extra posts for my mods under the hood.

Windows are pretty easy also... unbolt existing crank mechanism, the arms are just in tracks, and they will slide out the end of the rails.

I'll take some pictures tonight- the window harness I'd recommend buying, but you can wire up one side to be independant of the other, or have one control both. I have 2 switches on driver side, and one on passenger. My lazy ass hasnt gotten around to painting them yet, but I will .

I'll take my door panel off this weekend and take some pics, I'll also digup my folder with all my links on where I bought the stuff.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #23

P.S. Don't put your power windows on live wire unless you want your truck easily stolen. When you ditch it into a pond, most of the time your electrical is f'ed in a matter of seconds anyway.

I bought my lock kit from these guys:

http://www.a1electric.com/mes.htm

Mine is the 2 door w/ keyless & security. You get a security module that is plug & play with the harness, whats the point of electric locks without a key fob?

Can't remember where I got my window kit from but I'll look it up.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #24

aight cool, i already have a 2nd set of doors from a blazer that have power everything, im mainly just needing info on how to run/hook everything up and use factory switches
Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #25

Does anyone have their shopping list from S10warehouse.
All the parts that you needed and or ordered ?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #26

Bigpoppasmurf, What exactly did you get from "s10warehouse" to make the electric door locks work?
Mine are manual.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #27

Hello, I plan on converting my manual windows and locks to power in my 2001 s10 on my spring break from college. What parts do i need?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #28
V8 with bags

it say it in this thread, here is the link

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f202/m...how-to-316636/
Old 07-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #29

Does that 'guide' also work for a 97? If not, is there a tutorial on it? I just bought a 97 s10, and it came with no door panels. Could I just get a pair of power door panels and use them instead of buying aftermarket switches? And what years will fit a 1997?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #30
Electrical Mod

94-97 will fit, but there are different styles, and yes you can just swap them over, or swap out the switch panel, I still have my stock doors, with window crank hole, but I swapped over the switch panel and added pw/pl. I put a tweeter in the hole for the manual windows and everything works fine. THe guide will work for you btw.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #31

Quote: Originally Posted by SLStruckin
I've converted both my windows & doors from manual to power.

Unfortunately you're dreaming if you think the wiring is there. There is no wiring, no relays, and no fuses. You're on your own up a creek as far as that is concerned.

That said... new door locks are easy... just drill & install actuators a few inches from the lock- a little bent hook clamped to the existing bar is all it needs. You can pickup power from in the dash console, or you can bring it through the firewall (You'll want power thats live at all times, which the ignition has). I brought mine through the firewall since I have a custom box with relays & extra posts for my mods under the hood.

Windows are pretty easy also... unbolt existing crank mechanism, the arms are just in tracks, and they will slide out the end of the rails.

I'll take some pictures tonight- the window harness I'd recommend buying, but you can wire up one side to be independant of the other, or have one control both. I have 2 switches on driver side, and one on passenger. My lazy ass hasnt gotten around to painting them yet, but I will .

I'll take my door panel off this weekend and take some pics, I'll also digup my folder with all my links on where I bought the stuff.
OK, silly question maybe... but if I'm hitting the local wrecker to get a power window setup for my 94 s10, should I also be swapping out the fuse panel etc so I have the same setup? Or just run an inline fuse somewhere?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:39 AM   #32
2 Tone

Didnt want to start a new thread.

Anyone do this conversion on a first gen? Are the tracks/scissors different from a manual application?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #33
Electrical Mod

Quote: Originally Posted by swagboy
OK, silly question maybe... but if I'm hitting the local wrecker to get a power window setup for my 94 s10, should I also be swapping out the fuse panel etc so I have the same setup? Or just run an inline fuse somewhere?

You don't have to swap the fuse panel, its already wires up to that point, just put a circuit relay in and cut the outbound wire and tap into it there. Thats how I did mine.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #34
Electrical Mod

Quote: Originally Posted by RuLayd
Didnt want to start a new thread.

Anyone do this conversion on a first gen? Are the tracks/scissors different from a manual application?

The tracks are the same, but the scissors/regulators are different. So if you grab the motor along with the regulator, you will be fine. Make sure you get a first gen though.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 AM   #35

Great info everyone, I am also on the hunt for the stock power window set up for my 94. This gave me what I needed i think, will find out in a few weeks...lol.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #36

Do the power door locks work on a momentrary short to power? I was asking because I have an aftermarket key fob set to my home security system that has an extra button on it. This button can be programmed to a 12 volt monetary relay. I just thought it would be cool to have one key fob that arms/disarms my home alarm opens/closes my garage door, locks/unlocks my truck.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #37
Electrical Mod

Yep, you can do that.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #38

Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #39
Unmotivated

Doesn't LMC sell a kit?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #40

Quote: Originally Posted by PandaS10
this is the diagram for a five point switch like the ones from a 4 door blazer....

the switch i used looks like this, and can be used for windows or locks....

im working on a how to so bear with me....

I'm using these same switches. So I don't need relays correct?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #41
Electrical Mod

no relays are needed.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #42

Ok well I hooked mine up today but I can only have two in the drivers door. If I hook the switch up on the passenger side it blows the fuse and I have them hooked up exactly the same. But if I unplug either switch the fuse is fine
Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #43
Electrical Mod

What size fuse? Use the circuit breakers like the factory setup.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #44

I've used up to 30amps
Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
Electrical Mod

The factory fuse is a 30A circuit breaker.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #46

so i just need a bigger one and it will work?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #47

not to bring up an old thread. just looking into buying a new pass door. does anyone know if i buy a door thats power window i can do a manual swap?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #48
Electrical Mod

Yep, just swap your door panel over along with your manual window regulator. You don't have to swap out the lock since it will work as a manual one without power. Plus they can be a pain to swap out, so why do extra work.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #49

Awesome thanks a lot.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #50
Electrical Mod

Make sure you swap out the key cylinder though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.