convert manual to power locks/windows - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

convert manual to power locks/windows

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007, 04:46 AM   #1

convert manual to power locks/windows

I have a 99 s10 w/ manual locks/windows. I want to convert them to power. I want to use oem/factory items. Just not sure on how to wire the switches. I have searched but did not come up with the results I wanted....and the wife is getting mad at the time am spending on the forum.

Here is the shopping list of stuff am getting.
Left/Right Window regs
Left/Right power door panels
Left/Right Power door handles
Left/Right door swithes w/ factory wiring harrness to connect all the stuff to.

So with that wiring harrness(i think) I can connect all the switches to the proper lock/window places. On the other end of that harrnes there is a big rectangle plug. Can I plug that into something in my truck already? Or am I going to have to test the wires on the plug and fig out the one i need? see link of said wiring harrness and switchs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER...mZ320115429424

Also what is the POWER LOCK FOB MODULE and will I need it
see link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER...mZ320164580387

any advice would be awsome. I did search. but didnt come up with to much, either noone replied, or they went with aftermarket power. I could do that, but only as a last resort.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:52 AM   #2

Re: convert manual to power locks/windows

nothing?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #3

how bout a wiring diagram, anyone have one
Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
SILENCE! I KILL U!

User is: OffLine

to the rescue

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/wireid...99&Vid=1353642
http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/wireid...99&Vid=1353642
if links dont work email me at rockfan1815@yahoo.com and i will send them as attachments.

i recently put power windows in my 96 grand am. it wasn't too hard to do, and i had 2 extra windows to wire as well. lucky the fuse panel still had the power going to the circuit breaker, all i had to do was run a wire from the other terminal on the circuit breaker in the fuse panel to the drivers window switch and then run wires to the other windows from there.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
SILENCE! I KILL U!

if your converting to both power door locks and windows, and your truck doesnt have a special paint job, you could go to a junkyard and get both doors and just put them on your truck, thats what i did with my grand am, but they were bolted on, not sure if your trucks doors are bolted or welded on. its alot easier and quicker than switching everything over. but it could get expensive depending on how much a junkyard may charge you for everything. I changed all my doors for around 125, but that was because nothing they sell is over 100 and there was a special.

Last edited by rockfan1815; 12-31-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
SILENCE! I KILL U!

in the add for the window switch it mentions if the vehicle didn't come with power windows than there isn't going to be any place to plug the large rectangular plug into. this project is going to require lots of wiring on your part because your factory wiring harness doesn't have the wiring for power windows or locks. the power windows wont be hard to wire but the door locks will be a bit more involved because of the door lock module. You could get the connector for the module and then solder/crimp the wires and run them to where they go.

it might be easier and probably cheaper to go with aftermarket for the door locks
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...Code=W01F-712T
Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #7

Links didnt work for me. It asks for a login id. I PMed you.

Anyway, junkyards around here think everything is gold and wants crazy money for things. They wanted almost 800 for two doors with small dings. And they didint even match my truck, one green, one black. So different doors is out. lol

I just basicly want to use the factory switches...I can go with aftermarket locks as long as I can use the factory lock switch. That shouldnt be a problem would it?

Last edited by crossfire_alpine; 01-02-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
SILENCE! I KILL U!

wiring diagrams have been sent to your email.

it shouldn't be a problem to use the factory switches, actually you could keep everything in the door factory by using the factory powered door latches (they have the lock actuator built in) and using the switch with harness you posted above, you should also see if you can get the connector that that harness plugs into, because it will make life alot easier. then for the door lock module I would go with aftermarket as they have the relay block and keyless receiver built into one, where as the factory setup has a relay block, a keyless receiver and also connects to the body control module. Im just thinking it would be easier to wire in a aftermarket setup and a factory.

Installing power/keyless door locks in a truck that only had manual is going to be alot of work, but it can be done.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #9

It will be work, but in the end it will be worth it.

I am going to get the power latches and use the factory door lock switch and I will be using this system to control the locks http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=712T

If I read your post right, thats what you sugested to do.

Then with the windows, Ill get the power window regs, and hook them to the window switch to control them.

I think this may work. Thanks for the diagrams. If you have anymore words of wisdom, I will gladly listen.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
SILENCE! I KILL U!

if you join this forum - http://www.the12volt.com/ and post the same thing you did here they might be able to give more insight.

the thing with that module and with others is that they are made to be used without switches on the inside. instead it uses the sliding mechanism on the door panel so when you move that in either direction to lock or unlock the door, it also locks or unlocks the other door(s) so there is no need for the switch on the inside. that fact is why it might not be able to be used with the factory switches.

if you go to the site i posted above in this post and make a thread about what your looking at doing they may beable to point you into the right direction.

check your email as i sent you a installation manual for the keyless entry module i mentioned to you above.

Last edited by rockfan1815; 01-03-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #11

well that stinks. I searched a little on that site, and my type of topic wasnt covered much. I will make a new thread in there after work.

Lets say i didnt want keyless entry, would hooking up the locks just be a matter of hooking up a relay between the lock switch and lock lacth/actuator? if so, do you(or anyone) know the locking system type a s10 has ie. 3 wire +, 3 wire-, 5 wire reverse?

thanks for that manual btw!!

Last edited by crossfire_alpine; 01-04-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
SILENCE! I KILL U!

by looking at the door lock wiring diagram for your truck, i can tell you it is 3 wire positive as the switch has a center wire that is positive which comes from a fused source, then the other two wires depending on which way the switch is moved activate the relay in either direction to unlock or lock the door.

below is a diagram of the power door lock wiring without keyless from a 96 s10. basically you can follow this for putting power locks in your truck, and then if you want you can wire in a keyless entry system or even a alarm.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #13
SILENCE! I KILL U!

so actually adding power door locks with keyless wont be as hard as i was thinking, if you wire it up the same way its pictured above, adding keyless would just involve connecting the unlock output wire from the keyless module to the white wire from the switches or the A terminal on the relay, and the lock output wire from the keyless module to the light blue wire from the switches or the F terminal on the relay. the modules only supply a small current through those wires and are made only to activate relays so they cant be connected directly to motors or anything like that.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
SILENCE! I KILL U!

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ID~100705~PN~1
diagram A in post 2 is how you would wire the valet 712t up to the power door locks if you follow the diagram in my above post (#12).
Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
SILENCE! I KILL U!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
SILENCE! I KILL U!

that is how i suspect the valet 712t would be wired to the power door locks following the diagram of the 96 s10 power door locks.

some of the wires coming from the keyless module are labled not used because they are not required for it to work (ie the two black/white wires are for dome light supervision and arn't required.

i enjoy working on stuff like this so its no problem for me. i just completely rewired a 52 chevy 3/4 ton pickup from front to back, wire by wire and installed a door popper kit that is wired vary simialar to the keyless entry systems. its a challange. if anymore questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by rockfan1815; 01-04-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #17

Wow, this is good stuff. I have another question tho. The diagram in post 12 you gave me. What kind of relay is that? A SPDT kind. It also shows one relay, i thought you need two- 1 for lock and 1 for unlock.

Sorry to be a pain. I have hooked up a keyless system before, but the car already had power locks/windows for the factory.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #18
SILENCE! I KILL U!

you can use two relays and wire them up like this, i was just using that relay because that how the 96 was wired from factory and also i figured it looks alot easier to wire and probably cleaner looking and you can probably get one from a donar vehicle as well.

more info at http://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp#3wp

i was also using that relay because it looks like what is included with this power door lock kit. http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...Code=W01-RF104

basically if you installed keyless entry systems before, id first get the truck so it has power door locks and then go from there.

Last edited by rockfan1815; 01-04-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #19
SILENCE! I KILL U!

[quote=rockfan1815;4783398]i was also using that relay because it looks like what is included with this power door lock kit. http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...Code=W01-RF104
quote]

nevermind not the same type of relay as i was thinking, only has 5 contacts and the factory type looks like it would have 6, unless its just their funny way of showing 2 relays on the wiring diagram.

Last edited by rockfan1815; 01-04-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #20

what kind of relay is the one in post #12? b/c ill buy one.
If i can run one relay i will. I wont be able to get the relay from a donor car as sugested, b/c i dont have one.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #21
SILENCE! I KILL U!

as in donor vehicle i meant one from a junkjard. where are you getting the door internals from, if you are getting them from a junkyard you could grab a relay and the connector while your there?

otherwise
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...c1266915k39049
then you still need the connector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Relay-Pack-Prewi...sid=p1638.m118
this might be a better choice
Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #22
SILENCE! I KILL U!

this is how the factory relay would look as two individual relays
Old 01-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #23

lol I dont have a junkyard either. they suck around here. am getting some stuff from s10warehouse, and the door panels from a friend that used to junk car and happend to have some.

I think I got it now. You have been awsome help.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:10 AM   #24
Can I get a hot tub?

good luck with all this, it was more than i wanted to read this early. i put in power windows on mine. pretty straightforward. cut out the rivets on the old regulator. bolt in the power one. if you using stock stuff i guess you can plug into the connector. i just cut it, and ran wires up to the center of my dash where i put a replacement switch for an 80's caprice. works out pretty good. as for the power locks, i just shaved the door handles and got the AVS actuator kit. thats just my .02 on this subject, but it looks like your trying to keep it more stock looking
Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #25
SILENCE! I KILL U!

just one last thing just incase the keyless system you get has a negative output as the door locks are positive. if so you will need to add two more relays, one for the unlock output wire and one for the lock output wire.

the first diagram on the following link will explain it. http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page1.asp
the (-) trigger is from the keyless module and the +12v output would be the wire that goes to the main lock/unlock relay(s). and of coarse the Fused +12v goes to the battery or +12v power distribution block.

Last edited by rockfan1815; 01-05-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 AM   #26

Just an up date. I bought some factory switches w/ wiring harrness from s10 warehouse. I found some old relays layin around my house, and bought some cheap 2 wire actuators(to keep cost down). I then wired them according to the wiring diagram you gave me in post #22. Works Great!!

So I have half of the project done so far, just need cash to do the rest. I just need the window regs and motor and power window door panels.

Ill proly finish the rest of the project in a couple weeks. Am taking pictures of project as i go, b/c am going to make up a how to for this. It seems like a good idea, as when i searched lots of people wanted to do this they just didnt have the help. and dont worry i plan on giving you the credit you earned rockfan.

Last edited by crossfire_alpine; 01-16-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #27
Photoshop Whore

I know he solved his, but he's not hooking up to a keyless. I bought all the stuff he did about a year ago (power window reg's,motors, door panels, power lock actuators), and I have the same problem. No previous power windows (a.k.a. no wires at all). I also bought a viper alarm, I think it's one of the new ones with the wireless remote, etc. I installed the power lock actuators, and that was about it, when I realized that I had no power window/lock wires. Is there any way you could explain in step by step fashion on how to wire these things up? (No previous experience )

Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #28
SILENCE! I KILL U!

well what year truck do you have, i can get you a diagram of what the factory wiring for the power windows and door locks looks like for your truck.

wiring power windows is as simple as running a few wires because that is all it is. from a fused source (like an extra slot in your fuse panel under the dash) run two wires from the same fuse, one goes to the driverside switch and the other goes to the passenger side switch. Next wire a good ground (not to the door itself, run it through the wire passage and connect it to a ground under the dash or somewhere to bare metal like the body) up to both driver and passenger switches. Then run two more wires from the driver window switch, under the dash and to the passenger window switch (these wires allow the passenger window to be controlled from the drivers window switch. Finally run two wires from each switch to the window motor. then if you would like to have the switch light up (if the switches have it) run a interior light wire to each switch. I can also get you a interior lighting diagram if needed.

power door locks with keyless take a bit more wiring but isn't impossible, just takes longer. If you can find out the model # and other info on the alarm system you have i will take a look and see how it would need to be wired.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #29
SILENCE! I KILL U!

if your alarm has positive outputs you should be able to wire up the power door locks with keyless just like how i have it in post 22. If your alarm has negative outputs you may still be able to wire it the same way, because some alarms have a switch so you can switch polarity, if not it will require two extra relays. an example of how to wire them is in post 25.

if you let me know the follow i will he more than happy to help you
1. vehicle make and model
2. alarm system model # and any other info you have as far as wiring.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #30
Real Men Wear Skirts!!

Ok so i already have my alarm and aftermarket door actuators installed and working properly. I'm looking to add a momentary on-off-on switch on the interior so I can unlock/lock doors when I want to.

I'm just double checking before I starting wiring it up, I will be tapping into the blue & green wire that go into the brain, will I be using the diagram from post #18 or from post #22?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #31
SILENCE! I KILL U!

do you have a diagram for your system, im just not sure what your asking, what does the blue/green wire go to or from. what at the moment there is no switches inside to unlock/lock the doors?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #32
Real Men Wear Skirts!!

Quote: Originally Posted by rockfan1815
do you have a diagram for your system, im just not sure what your asking, what does the blue/green wire go to or from. what at the moment there is no switches inside to unlock/lock the doors?
whoops meant blue & green wire which is the lock and unlock wires. I actually figured it out I need to run it like this:

and I will be using a DEI 451M to do it, I just need to rewire my door actuators and run wires for the switches.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #33
Real Men Wear Skirts!!

RockFan1815, ok so I will explain in more detail on what I'm trying to do and maybe you can help.

I have already installed my Clifford Concept 550, added door actuators to get the keyless function, all works great no issues. All I'm trying to do is add a rocker switch so I can lock and unlock my doors inside the truck.

With my alarm like most once my truck is on my doors lock within 10 seconds and don't unlock unless I turn the ignition off, all I want to do is wire a switch so I can control them whenever I want.

Today I spent about an hour trying a couple different configurations using relays and what not, came up with nothing. I bought a momentary on-off-on switch, what wires do I need to tap and did I get the right switch?

I know my alarms just never came across having to do something like this. Any help would be great!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #34
SILENCE! I KILL U!

OK now i understand what you are doing. You truck originally didn't have power door locks so you added the actuators and wired them directly to an alarm/keyless entry module. So what your looking to do is almost have like a factory door lock/unlock switch. Basically you should be able to wire the door actuators up like i have in post 22. The switch you got should be fine. I will post up a diagram as soon as i find it to show you a way you could wire it up.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #35
SILENCE! I KILL U!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #36
SILENCE! I KILL U!

you could use that ^ this is only for if your alarm has negative lock/unlock outputs. If its positive than you would use the diagram in post 22. The only difference is between the two is with the one up above in my previous post is that the middle of the switch is connected to a ground where as the one in post 22 is wired to a positive fused circuit. Also terminal 85 on the unlock relay and terminal 86 on the lock relay is now connected to a positive fuse circuit instead of going to a ground like in post 22. It all depends on what polarity your alarm puts out for the unlock/lock commands.

Last edited by rockfan1815; 01-25-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #37
Real Men Wear Skirts!!

Quote: Originally Posted by rockfan1815
you could use that ^ this is only for if your alarm has negative lock/unlock outputs. If its positive than you would use the diagram in post 22. The only difference is between the two is with the one up above in my previous post is that the middle of the switch is connected to a ground where as the one in post 22 is wired to a positive fused circuit. Also terminal 85 on the unlock relay and terminal 86 on the lock relay is now connected to a positive fuse circuit instead of going to a ground like in post 22. It all depends on what polarity your alarm puts out for the unlock/lock commands.
I already tried that and didn't work, it was a lot easier than I thought, all you need to do is get a 3 prong rocker switch (on-off-on) and the middle pin goes to ground and then you tap the door lock wires going to the brain and connect them to the 2 outside pins on the switch. I'll draw a diagram up for the visual people tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #38

or you could do this lol. [yt]Bd876iqGdT4[yt]
Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #39

Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #40
Real Men Wear Skirts!!

Quote: Originally Posted by 91s10green
Old 01-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #41
S10on22s

That You tube video is great..... Just try that for your windows
Old 01-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #42

yeah that is what i am probably going to do with mine lol
Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #43

[QUOTE=rockfan1815;4769935]to the rescue

if links dont work email me at rockfan1815@yahoo.com and i will send them as attachments.

i have an 89 s-blazer that currently has manual locks.
i picked up Factory lock actuators(complete with factory plugs) from the wrecking yard, and picked up a keyless alarm from viper.

my thought is i can just wire the locks up into the alarm by slpiceing wires, i just need too know what wires go up, and what wires go down.

the colors are:
Right; Tan, Grey
Left; Dark Blue, Black

thanks soo much please lemme know at your convienience
Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #44
Electrical Mod

Click the link in my sig for wiring diagrams, it should be in there.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #45

deathphoenix99, quick question for you. I know you did this on your 94 and mine is a 94 as well. Also I know it's the bastard year and can't remember what you said about plugs being there on a 94.

I recently found another 94 ss in the junk yard and it has power locks and windows and was going to try and get them.

My question is are the plugs there or not on the 94's? Just curious don't have a problem wiring them up if there not.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #46
Electrical Mod

I had to add all of the wiring, although, you may be able to just plug in the wiring portion as there is a distribution block under the dash on the driver side near the parking brake. And it appears you should be able to plug in there, I just tapped off of the correct fusible links at the fuse block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.