S-10 Forum banner

Can I install power windows/locks? 96 Sonoma

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  old_skool_noma 
#1 ·
I've got a 96 Sonoma with power-nothing. I was wondering if you guys have seen kits or something so I can make my windows power windows, and my locks too? Is this a dream or is it in the real of possibilities. I've searched ebay and it's just way too much for my technical ability. I've got a friend (mechanic) that'll install all this crap.. I just need to buy it first :/

#5 ·
Are you wanting a factory style appearance? If not, I used these locks, no switch necessary. They work off of the alarm, key, or the lever inside. These window kits should work as well. Switches are sold separately. Factory ones might work. I have not used these window kits but, I have gotten a lot of stuff from this seller.

#6 ·
^^^ neat sounding kit...

may be interesting as my s10 has no power anything but i did install a viper alarm with lock unlock buttons, they pretty easy to install?

#8 ·
^^^ neat sounding kit...

may be interesting as my s10 has no power anything but i did install a viper alarm with lock unlock buttons, they pretty easy to install?
depends on who you are asking. to an installer they area breeze. to others it may be a little tricky.

The problem with those aftermarket window kits is they come with little plastic gears that go over the sline shafts on the window cranks. they tend to strip out. eacy to break a tooth on the gear, then your sol and have to get a new kit.

The other way to do it and this is how i did, was to get the regulators and motors out of a dime/blazer and use those.

#13 ·
oh ive got plenty of it, just wondering where i should do this and how long it usually takes.

now ive heard our trucks are kinda "prewired" for power stuff but not all the way out to the doors is that correct or?

#14 ·
mine wasnt prewired for anything, other then when i added cruise.. plug n play..

the other stuff i had to weed thru the wires i needed, pulled the whole damn harness out too.. seems to me for mine anyways.. ive got a bundle of maybe 20 wires that run for the windows, locks and mirrors and a relay /circuit breaker box that was under the dash.. but i had to get the whole complete door because i needed the catch too . on the 99 style the locks are built into the catch.. took me about 6 hours to figure the wires out plug it all in , gut the doors and transfer it all over..

#17 ·
As for a factory style wire up...find a late 96-7 blazer or a 95-7 dime with power everything. I got wiring diagrams I did myself on a 95 s10 that shows all of what is what and how to get it 100 percent factory. My only probs where locating all the correct harness that would work..., converting a 4 door harness to a two door.., then wiring it into the 30 amp circuit breaker in the fuse box.

On mine.., the harnesses separate under the door panels near the upper hinges. It then separates again inside the truck up above the steering column where it bolts to firewall brace.

If your interested.., hit me up. I got pics and diagrams.

#19 ·
I did this on mine, I have 3 momentary toggle switches in the dash to opperate everything and it have a constant 12V coming to the switches so I can opperate the windows with or without the key on.

Heres the wiring diagram for the switches, it works the same for the locks too. I used factory window regulators/motors and factory power lock units.
The way this works is depending on which way you push the switch the power reverses and take it up or down so you cant take your power wires in both on the same side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.