Can I install power windows/locks? 96 Sonoma - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Can I install power windows/locks? 96 Sonoma

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #1

Can I install power windows/locks? 96 Sonoma

I've got a 96 Sonoma with power-nothing. I was wondering if you guys have seen kits or something so I can make my windows power windows, and my locks too? Is this a dream or is it in the real of possibilities. I've searched ebay and it's just way too much for my technical ability. I've got a friend (mechanic) that'll install all this crap.. I just need to buy it first :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #2

Re: Can I install power windows/locks? 96 Sonoma

Search for the how to.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #3

User is: OffLine

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/search.php
Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Ya I tried that. No luck find it.. was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Real Men Wear Bow Ties.

Are you wanting a factory style appearance? If not, I used these locks, no switch necessary. They work off of the alarm, key, or the lever inside. These window kits should work as well. Switches are sold separately. Factory ones might work. I have not used these window kits but, I have gotten a lot of stuff from this seller.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Better post-em.

^^^ neat sounding kit...

may be interesting as my s10 has no power anything but i did install a viper alarm with lock unlock buttons, they pretty easy to install?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #7

Wow, that looks great, AND affordable. I'm wondering if maybe I should just shave the door handles while I'm at it! Besides... it's getting painted soon anyway. (already working on the bed). Ideas?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by comics22
^^^ neat sounding kit...

may be interesting as my s10 has no power anything but i did install a viper alarm with lock unlock buttons, they pretty easy to install?
depends on who you are asking. to an installer they area breeze. to others it may be a little tricky.

The problem with those aftermarket window kits is they come with little plastic gears that go over the sline shafts on the window cranks. they tend to strip out. eacy to break a tooth on the gear, then your sol and have to get a new kit.

The other way to do it and this is how i did, was to get the regulators and motors out of a dime/blazer and use those.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
Real Men Wear Bow Ties.

Quote: Originally Posted by comics22
^^^ neat sounding kit...

I would say yes. The lock kits are pretty much plug and play. I have never used the window kits.

Quote: Originally Posted by aaronajb1981
The problem with those aftermarket window kits is they come with little plastic gears that go over the spline<sp> shafts on the window cranks. they tend to strip out. easy<sp> to break a tooth on the gear, then your sol and have to get a new kit.

The other way to do it and this is how i did, was to get the regulators and motors out of a dime/blazer and use those.
A very good suggestion. Factory parts are easier to come by in some areas more than others but, it could be done.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Better post-em.

yea id leave windows alone but would like the power locks.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #11

if you do the factory way its really easy on the winows. all you really have to do is pop the rivets, and unscrew the clips that holes the window to the regulator. wiring is no different that an aftermarket kit.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
I'm "that guy"

i know its not a 96 but i just did it all to my 99.. got some doors from a wrecker,, added locks windows,, used all the existing wiring ,relay blocks ec... it wasnt too bad to do .. but YES definatly alot easier if you have some wiring experience.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #13
Better post-em.

oh ive got plenty of it, just wondering where i should do this and how long it usually takes.

now ive heard our trucks are kinda "prewired" for power stuff but not all the way out to the doors is that correct or?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #14
I'm "that guy"

mine wasnt prewired for anything, other then when i added cruise.. plug n play..

the other stuff i had to weed thru the wires i needed, pulled the whole damn harness out too.. seems to me for mine anyways.. ive got a bundle of maybe 20 wires that run for the windows, locks and mirrors and a relay /circuit breaker box that was under the dash.. but i had to get the whole complete door because i needed the catch too . on the 99 style the locks are built into the catch.. took me about 6 hours to figure the wires out plug it all in , gut the doors and transfer it all over..
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
Real Men Wear Bow Ties.

Thats why I like the prewired lock systems. Run the wires, loom them up, give power and ground, done. Mount the actuators and you have power locks. You can attach your negative pulse signal for alarm and switch or whatever else.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #16
I'm "that guy"

Quote: Originally Posted by vinster888
Thats why I like the prewired lock systems. Run the wires, loom them up, give power and ground, done. Mount the actuators and you have power locks. You can attach your negative pulse signal for alarm and switch or whatever else.

fair enough, for me it was personal choice, i wanted factory options
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
SSRT-S10

As for a factory style wire up...find a late 96-7 blazer or a 95-7 dime with power everything. I got wiring diagrams I did myself on a 95 s10 that shows all of what is what and how to get it 100 percent factory. My only probs where locating all the correct harness that would work..., converting a 4 door harness to a two door.., then wiring it into the 30 amp circuit breaker in the fuse box.

On mine.., the harnesses separate under the door panels near the upper hinges. It then separates again inside the truck up above the steering column where it bolts to firewall brace.

If your interested.., hit me up. I got pics and diagrams.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Electrical Mod

I installed factory components, but ran my own wiring for the harness.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #19
Got Art?

I did this on mine, I have 3 momentary toggle switches in the dash to opperate everything and it have a constant 12V coming to the switches so I can opperate the windows with or without the key on.

Heres the wiring diagram for the switches, it works the same for the locks too. I used factory window regulators/motors and factory power lock units.
The way this works is depending on which way you push the switch the power reverses and take it up or down so you cant take your power wires in both on the same side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.