Blew my 40 amp Ignition fuse... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Blew my 40 amp Ignition fuse...

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
'01 Noma

User is: OffLine
Blew my 40 amp Ignition fuse...

The truck is a 2001 4.3L 2wd. I went and picked up some furniture, unloaded it and went to turn back on my truck and the starter did nothing. Today I found the 40 amp Ignition A fuse was blown...

Some background: The last couple weeks the starter has been having trouble turning over the engine. I thought it was the alternator giving out (the voltage sits below 14v once the engine is warm) and it couldn't keep up charging the battery.

Now i'm thinking I have a short somewhere that I need to hunt down so my question is, which wire in the ignition hardness does the "Ignition A" fuse power? More specifically in the harness under the dash.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
forum idiot

Re: Blew my 40 amp Ignition fuse...

do you have a remote start or alarm?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
'01 Noma

I have both yes. Anyway to test what's blowing it without wasting money on fuses?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
'01 Noma

Well I ripped out my alarm starter because I never used it anyway. The fuses are still blowing. I checked the fuse box and one side of the fuse shows +12v and the other side shows ground (An obvious short), so the question is, where could the ignition wire be shorting?

I need a wiring diagram
Old 11-04-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
I break stuff.

Haynes manuals have some decent wiring diagrams (definately not great but they'll pass)

Autozone's got some online as well, in their repair info section.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
'01 Noma

Well I found the problem. Turns out it was that purple wire going to the starter. I couldn't find where it was shorting but after I cut it, the fuse didn't blow anymore. So I re-routed it in a better location and it works again. And yea the wiring wasn't stock so technically it was my fault!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #7

Hey, I have this same problem. how far back did you cut the purple wiring? I can trace mine all the way till it goes into the main wire grouping then under the dash.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #8

You can get wiring diagrams at the top of this section.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #9

So I read the diagram and on the top right where it has the starter listed it has the purple wire going from the starter to the crank fuse and the ignition switch. but just before the crank fuse it has a H1 on the wire. What does H1 mean? Also where is the junction box located? is it the bolt on the firewall with all the positive connections? my engine is the 4.3L auto by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.