Bad Ignition switch or Stuck Relay? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Bad Ignition switch or Stuck Relay?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
I'll Miss Ya Red!!!

User is: OffLine
Question Bad Ignition switch or Stuck Relay?

Don't know if this goes in here or 4.3 tech, but here goes. My truck is a 1997 Chevy S10 Ext. Cab. LS 4.3 5-Speed 2wd. No Power windows, No Power locks, No power anything. It's like a stripper truck with carpet, nice seats, a console and A/C. So.......

When Your ignition switch went bad, did you get a clicking under the dash? I took my truck out and ran some errands, came back Did some work around the apts, and was on the way to go get my little one. I hop in the truck, go to start it and the thing just started clicking!

Put the key in and the door chime goes off, but sounds like it's the battery going down. Turn the key to "ON" and all power goes away. Try to roll start it and nothing, ( I was pushing it by myself, but in the past I've roll started it by myself.). So after about 5 min of this I get this wierd clicking under the drivers side dash. I check the fuses and their all good. I start pulling every fuse to try and trace the noise, I pulled number 13 the "RDO BATT" fuse and the clickin changes to a fast LOUD buzz. Put the good fuse back in, and it's back to a slow faint clicking. Tried to jump it with a neighbors jump box, but No Power (Even the lights in the cab turn off and no power to the dash), once the key gets to the "ON" position.

So I'm baffled. I call my girl and tell her I can't pick up the baby, and disconnect both sides of the battery so that whatever it is doesn't burn the truck down. Clicking stops, but I cant see where it was coming from. I wait two or three minutes and reconnect the battery. No clicking, the truck starts, stumbles, and idles smooth after I give it some throttle a few times. My lady calls back and I tell her to come home I will get the baby. Truck runs great, starts fine at daycare and drives home great.

Happy ending....blah , blah, blah..................BUT!

Stuck Relay? or BAD IGNITION Switch? Am I going to burn it down if this occurs again? I'm carrying a 5/16" wrench in th console now.

Last edited by dawgnutz; 05-06-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Ticket Magnet

User is: Online
Re: Bad Ignition switch or Stuck Relay?

Sounds like a bad battery or cables...especially if they are original. The corrode inside the covering.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
I'll Miss Ya Red!!!

Battery is a 2 year old Red top Optima. Cables are original equipment , but were cleaned at the terminals earlier this year. Have a replacement positive cable in the garage, may have to put that on and go grab a negative cable. Thanks for the help man!

Last edited by dawgnutz; 05-06-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Ticket Magnet

User is: Online

I'd change it and clean the neg.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Waaaakkaaaa

When my ignition wiring went bad there was NO clicking or buzzing at all. My gauges wouldnt turn on at all or even try to start.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
I'll Miss Ya Red!!!

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help. Gonna have to go put that New cable on, thanks again. I haven't been out today so I didn't get to see if it did it again, but I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Boogie

dude... remember when i told you that i went to juice it up everything ran fine, the radio was still one when i came back out to the truck like 5 minutes later like it always is... as soon as i went to start the car EVERYTHING powers down... check the connections, checke dthe fused did everything, my dad gets down to my truck and check the positive cable again and it was loose...

im almost positive the same thing happend to u...
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
I'll Miss Ya Red!!!

Yeah Man, you know it was pretty tight, but the cable has a little flat loop on the end of it , and it got corroded pretty bad a while back before I got my Red top. It's all chewed up so it may have come loose, deffinitely time for a replacement. I guess when I removed them and then retightened them everything lined up properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.