S-10 Forum banner

97 s10 hid conversion

21K views 60 replies 4 participants last post by  jstn2661 
#1 ·
alright so im new at this whole forum thing but ive got a question. I have a 97 S10 with of course the sealed beam headlights but i want to get HID's. So what entails coverting them. Do i need to buy 4x6 headlights and just buy an HID kit or is there more too it than that.. new harnesses or whtever please let me know

#29 ·
My HID's heat up in a matter of a few seconds.

I don't know what you're askin in the above post.

All you need for HID's are.

4x6 H4 Conversion Housing.
H4 HID (Hi/low setup)

Those two items have everything you need to swap to HID's including the relay harness. However, your stock pigtails for the lights are different from the H4 bulbs. So you will have to splice either a new h4 pigtail on the passenger side or just splice the wires together and be done with it. I spliced my wires, but I'm good with electrical.

#31 ·
Sorry, I'm not trying to confuse you, but the stock housings on our truck have a different pigtail that connects to them. h4 bulbs have a simliar pigtail, but the connectors are different, meaning you can either buy a h4 pigtail from an autoparts store, or just cut the connector off on the passenger side and solder the wires or crimp them together. Btw, with the relay pack, you only need to do this on the passenger side, since it's closest to the battery. The rest of the wiring comes with the HID's. If you need to, I can try to get pics of my mounting and everything another day.

#32 ·
pictureswould help alot and how much would it be for the different pigtails that i need, or the connectors. also the reason why i weanted to buy that heavy duty harness because i wanted to run it staright from the battery and not to the switch since it will draw too much and dim my lights

#33 ·
The harness that comes with the HID's connects straight to the battery. It has relays built into it. So you don't have to worry about the aftermarket harness. It's already built into the harness for the HID's.

The pigtail can be bought for like $10 at most parts stores. Or go to a junk yard and get one off a an older Cherokee with the sealed 5x7's.

#37 ·
I think I posted it all above, I can post it again, but it'll have to be once I get off of work, ebay is blocked here. The housings from LMC are good, and mine are good too. Which ones do you want? BTW, I hope you read the threads I originally posted, you do have to trim a little bit for the headlights to fit flush, at least the style I have. The other style fit like stock, but the output was less.

#42 ·

Those are what I have. The one's I'm talking about being direct fit but lower quality are these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLEA...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e597d67cb

Like i said, they work, but the ones you have listed are a bit brighter and the materials reflect better. I also like the driving light.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BI-X...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

As for bulbs. Make sure in the buyers note or whatever you specify H4-3 and the color temp you want, mine were 6k, but 4300K Is nice too.

This is the Contents for the bulbs.
    • √ 2 x HID Bi-Xenon bulbs
    • √ 2 x Ballasts
    • √ 2 x Secure mounting brackets
    • 1 x Relay Harness (including a 30A relay box)
    • √ 4 x Zip ties
    • √ All necessary wires and accessories
    • √ Installation Manual (English)
Between the headlights and the HID's, this is ALL you need for HID conversion.

#50 ·
Badlands is Fvcking awesome btw. Can't wait to go back.

Alright.

As for the trimming. You can tell in my pics, the bucket the light sits in, I had to cut the ring bigger for the back of the housing to fit through and I cut that slot for the "daytime running light" bulb to fit through. It;s really easy to do, it only took me a dremel with a few cut off discs.

#51 ·
Badlands is Fvcking awesome btw. Can't wait to go back.

Alright.

As for the trimming. You can tell in my pics, the bucket the light sits in, I had to cut the ring bigger for the back of the housing to fit through and I cut that slot for the "daytime running light" bulb to fit through. It;s really easy to do, it only took me a dremel with a few cut off discs. .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.