4 way high headlight relay - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

4 way high headlight relay

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
1998 chevy s-10

User is: OffLine
4 way high headlight relay

so i bought a 4 way high relay from mopac and its function is when the low beams are on its normal but when your high beams are on your lows stay on and your high beams come on... i have a 98 4.3 extended cab 5 speed flare side... i put the kit in exactly how it says.... take out drivers side headlight... splice green wire to green wire on hi beams then yellow wire to yellow wire on low beams... red to power and black to ground... all it does it pop the fuse thats built into the relay kit..... i have no idea whats going on... although i didn't put the power wire where it said to... it said to put the power wire in the batery junction box..... i can find this box and don't think i have one... if you need the brand and part number of the product i can get that i need someones help that has done this... the pictures in the directions are also wrong... in the picture it shows the battery being on the drivers side and mine is on the passenger side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

Re: 4 way high headlight relay

I'm looking at 98 S10 headlamp wiring. The low-beam ground wires are yellow for both left and right. If your new relay provides a ground for these lamps you would want to connect to yellow wire.

The ground wire for high-beam lamps is purple. There's one green/white wire but this is for the +12 side and you would not want to connect a ground to this wire.

You might try connecting the "magic-box" green wire to the high-beam purple wires and check results.

BTW ... left and right side headlamps are fused at 10 amps. Do the instructions suggest replacing 10 amp fuse with something larger since you'll require more current to power low and high at same time?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
1998 chevy s-10

Quote: Originally Posted by far2grumpy
I'm looking at 98 S10 headlamp wiring. The low-beam ground wires are yellow for both left and right. If your new relay provides a ground for these lamps you would want to connect to yellow wire.

The ground wire for high-beam lamps is purple. There's one green/white wire but this is for the +12 side and you would not want to connect a ground to this wire.

You might try connecting the "magic-box" green wire to the high-beam purple wires and check results.

BTW ... left and right side headlamps are fused at 10 amps. Do the instructions suggest replacing 10 amp fuse with something larger since you'll require more current to power low and high at same time?
Routing and terminatin the wires:

RED wire: 1 route the red wite to the battery junction block`
2 remove the 17mm nut from the power distribution stud
3 slip the ring on the RED wire over the power distribution stud and replace the 17mm nut

GREEN/WHITE wire: 1 route the GRN/WHT wire going to the high beam bulb
2 using a pair of pliers, crimp a t-tap to the green/white wire
3 plug the tab on the end of the GRN/WHT wire (from relay) into the t-tap

YELLOW wire: 1 locate the YELLOW wire going to the low beam bulb
2 using a pair of pliers, crimp a t-tap to the YELLOW wire
3 plug the tab on the end of the YELLOW wire (from relay) into the t-tap

then just says test for correct operation... and when i try the high beams BAM there blows the fuse... its a 20 amp fuse we tried a 25 and same thing
Old 02-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
1998 chevy s-10

Quote:
I'm looking at 98 S10 headlamp wiring. The low-beam ground wires are yellow for both left and right.
one is straight yellow like the kit and one is yellow/white.... and i tried it on both of those
Old 02-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
1998 chevy s-10

the only head light we are dealing with is the drivers side
Old 02-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
1998 chevy s-10

the red wire im kind of confused about.... i couldn't find any junction block so i wired that wire into the 12v feed into the under hood fuse box
Old 02-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by gaga434
the red wire im kind of confused about.... i couldn't find any junction block so i wired that wire into the 12v feed into the under hood fuse box
Do you have a diagram for new relay box?

Red wire connection should be OK if on the +12 feed stud.

There must be some sort of difference for export pickups. I checked both 1998 and 1999 wiring and both show the low-beam ground wires as yellow and high-beam as purple.

The 1997 wiring is different as that model year had dark blue ground for drivers side and black for passenger side and they switch voltage to select between low and high beam.

As previously mentioned - GM diagrams indicate high-beam ground is purple. Why don't you unplug the green/wire from the new T-plug and see if low beam elements are OK. If they are - and you have purple wire connected to high-beam - try connecting the relay green/white wire to purple and check results.

According to the 1998 schematic headlamps are parallel wired ... a connection to either lamp is same as running a connection to both lamps.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
1998 chevy s-10

ill try the purple and see what happens... running out of fuses lmao
Old 02-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
1998 chevy s-10

when is on the purple wire it blows the fuse as well and the fuse that came with it is a 20 i have tried the 20, 25 and now it just blew a 30
Old 02-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #10

when is on the purple wire it blows the fuse as well and the fuse that came with it is a 20 i have tried the 20, 25 and now it just blew a 30
Tell me about the relay - who makes, model number and do you have any sort of diagram?

I'd hold off on trying larger fuses ... the existing light wiring is also connected to BCM and you don't want to fry something in that bad boy.

Is it safe to assume that once relay is disconnected the lights operate as they did before you started?

I just did quick web search ... is this the relay you're using?

http://www.stylintrucks.com/articles...l/article.aspx

They talk about yellow, purple and brown wires coming from relay - sounds different than what you mentioned.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
1998 chevy s-10

im using the kit sold by mopac... and the brand is panless performance... there are 2 part numbers for some odd reason.. 30823 and 30822... you got a cell phone number you could pm me with so i can take a picture of the relay? all i have to do is burn the fuse or take the fuse out and the lights operate as normal
Old 02-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
1998 chevy s-10

from the relay there is one yellow one green/white one red one black then the fuse and thats it
Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #13

im using the kit sold by mopac... and the brand is panless performance... there are 2 part numbers for some odd reason.. 30823 and 30822... you got a cell phone number you could pm me with so i can take a picture of the relay? all i have to do is burn the fuse or take the fuse out and the lights operate as normal
I've sent PM with email and cell ... I'll try to find these guys on web.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #14

from the relay there is one yellow one green/white one red one black then the fuse and thats it
I found Painless website - 30823 is relay for 98.

What I think they're doing is using the GRN/WHT wire - which has +12 when high-beams are active - to switch the relay ON. So, this wire should be connected to GRN/WHT wire on truck high-beam headlight (which you did).

The +12 from headlight should latch the relay ON which will send a ground to the low-beams using yellow wire.

I'm baffled why you need to connect the relay to +12 battery and need to think about what they're doing.

Its possible your relay is miswired .. I need to run an errand but if you're interested can send a sample circuit for you to consult and possibly rewire the relay you have.

Let me know if interested.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
1998 chevy s-10

ya man sure... i just want this kit to work
Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #16

ya man sure... i just want this kit to work
I did a sketch to activate low-beams when using high-beam ... and then realized same thing would probably happen when DRL were on. I doubt this is something you could live with.

I also failed to find any schematic for the relay and wiring you have.

There are many four-headlight approaches on this forum ... you can search using "quad headlight mod" or similar.

One of the simpler mods is to connect a wire from chassis ground to the headlamp yellow wire. This will activate low-beams anytime the headlight switch is ON - including when high-beams are ON. Can't get much less complicated or inexpensive than that.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #17

Quote: Originally Posted by far2grumpy
I did a sketch to activate low-beams when using high-beam ... and then realized same thing would probably happen when DRL were on. I doubt this is something you could live with.

I also failed to find any schematic for the relay and wiring you have.

There are many four-headlight approaches on this forum ... you can search using "quad headlight mod" or similar.

One of the simpler mods is to connect a wire from chassis ground to the headlamp yellow wire. This will activate low-beams anytime the headlight switch is ON - including when high-beams are ON. Can't get much less complicated or inexpensive than that.

Will this grounding yellow wire work for a 2001 s10 Zr2 s well? I have all hid's and my low beams have a relay harness on it, but my hi beams do not....Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #18

[QUOTE} Will this grounding yellow wire work for a 2001 s10 Zr2 as well? I have all hid's and my low beams have a relay harness on it, but my hi beams do not....Thanks![/QUOTE]

It is a 2001 4.3L V-6 4X4 Zr2 if it matters

Last edited by RaverWerm; 04-04-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: adding more specific model info....
Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #19
tux

I have also had the same blown fuse problem mentioned above. Used Quad Beam Power Lighting kit 6314 from KC Hilites. The problem in my case (98 S-10 ZR2) is that the DRL's are on the HIGH BEAM, not the low beam, and the kit will not work unless the DRL's are on the low beam. There was a GM recall (I bought the truck new) to reverse the DRL's which involved changing the wiring harness but I never had it done.

With the DRL's on the high beam removing the DRL diode will do nothing and bending pin 85 or 86 on the relay doesn't work either. Cutting the yellow wire in the relay harness under the carpet will set DTC B2600, so I haven't tried that solution. Grounding the + lead to the high beam blows the Driver's Healamp fuse in the engine compartment fuse box.

For now, have left the kit installed, minus the 20 amp fuse, so that it has no effect on anything. Should have had the DRL's reversed back when I could have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.