2002 S10 (Rear brake lights won't turn off) - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2002 S10 (Rear brake lights won't turn off)

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #1

2002 S10 (Rear brake lights won't turn off)

Rear brake won't shut off after all lights turned off & key removed. I tried replacing the turn/hazard flasher behind glove box (GM part# 12450057). When I try to engage my flasher; the flasher indicator on dash just light up with no blinking movement. But I hear the turn/hazard flasher behind the glovebox engage twice. But my turn signals left & right operate fine. All other electrical functions on my S10 operate fine except for problem mentioned above. I've also checked all fuses. Please anybody help!

2002 S10
2.2L
M/T
Old 10-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
WTFWBJD

User is: OffLine
Re: 2002 S10 (Rear brake lights won't turn off)

sounds like a bad brake light switch to me try replacing that,mines located in the proportioning valve under my master cylinder but i'm not sure if it's the same on an 02
Old 10-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #3

The brake lights switch is just above the brake pedal. Just follow your brake pedal upward. It contacts the pedal bar.

See the picture below. The red arrow is pointing to the area in which the switch is located. You may need to take that lower dash panel off to get to it.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #4

Problem was bad CHMSL relay in fuse box under the hood. Switched out with the horn relay since it was the same relay. Now the horn is acting, but it solved the rear brake light staying on issue.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
forum idiot

User is: OffLine

glad you fixed it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.