2000 S10 2.2 won't start, battery and starter good. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2000 S10 2.2 won't start, battery and starter good.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #1

2000 S10 2.2 won't start, battery and starter good.

Okay, so the S10 that I use for delivering won't start. On the last run of the night I got to the house, delivered the pizza, then got back in to start it and its acting like I don't have the clutch pressed down all the way. I replaced the starter last week, so I know that's not the problem. Also, it has a fully charged yellow top optima battery. When I turn the key to run the headlights and gauge cluster light up fine, radio works, dome lights are bright as all hell. But something is puzzling me, when I turn the key to run, the battery gauge on the dash doesn't even budge. Which I know is total bs because everything else works fine. I tried to push start it, as well as jump it but neither worked. The truck started fine all day long, which makes me think there is a fuse or something that I missed. It was dark, and I did what I could while on the side of the road, but I'm having it towed back to my place tomorrow to take a better look at it. If anyone has any pointers as to where I should start that would be great. I don't have a schematic in front of me now, so I don't know where the battery gauge gets its voltage from, but I would like to trace the problem back from there since its the most puzzling piece. Oh, and I also replaced the alternator last month, so both the alternator and battery are good. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I'm thinking either a lose ground or a fuse...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #2

Re: 2000 S10 2.2 won't start, battery and starter good.

Messed around with it a little bit, but its hot as hell outside so I'm gonna wait a bit to really get into it. But the fuel pump will not start up when the key is turned to run, as well as not reading the battery voltage on the dash. Checked all fuses and they're all good, grounds are solid, and I've swapped relays but still the same outcome. I'm thinking it might be the ignition switch on the top of the steering column, any input guys?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #3

Begain with checking fuses In the power distribution box under the hood.

40Amp (IGN A) passes through the relay to the starter.
20Amp (IGN C ) constant 12V to ign switch.
10Amp (CRANK) feed from ign switch to neutral safety switch then to start relay.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
tom tucker

User is: OffLine

I would follow the wires from the safty switch on clutch peddle, the same thing happened to me, I push started it then after driving for a bit evey couple times I pushed the clutch the starter would spin, I never fixed it I just took the switch out and let it hang under dash and push it with hand wen I wanna start it, but if u figure it out post it up so I can fix it on mine, I'm just to lazy to myself
Old 08-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #5

Same bs with my truck batterly light on wont start please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.