1998 S10 Intermittent Guage Problem - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1998 S10 Intermittent Guage Problem

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Electrical / Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
1998 S10 Intermittent Guage Problem

Hello Everyone. I am new to the forums and to the world of Chevy lol. Hope this is in the right section it is an electrical issue more then mechanical. Recently I purchased a 1998 S-10 2.2l 5speed. And After a few weeks I started having some weird issues I hope someone can help me with. When driving the truck sometimes the gauges will just all the sudden light up as if you had just turned the key on, now sometimes it will do this and the engine will keep running fine. Other times the truck's gauges will do this several times in a row with the truck jerking. It does this completely intermittently. Sometimes you can drive the truck for hours without it doing it then other times it will do it just pulling out of the drive way. I have taking it to Chevy twice already first time they said Alternator changed that then they said BCM. When the truck does do this sometimes it will start right back up no issues others it will have a hard time starting. Also another weird issue I am having is the lights on the truck run all the time day or night and not the DRL i am talking about the full lights of the truck. I know this is some kind of electrical issue with the truck. When it does run it runs quite good well for a 2.2 lol.... Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, places for me to start any help would be so much appreciated. I have tried checking grounds all look ok. I also today installed an Optima battery into the truck still same issue. I did notice however that right before it did it the trucks voltage gauge dropped to the first 1/4 mark and then moved slightly back and forth then the trucks gauges just light up. This problem is killing me the truck only has 87k so she is still in her prime and having these issues. Now I will say the dealer did the say that they thought the Crankshaft Sensor and the catlytic converter looked to be bad. Could that do it? THANK YOU in advance guys for any help.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #2

Re: 1998 S10 Intermittent Guage Problem

that sux man i am having the exact same problem to a t, mine does the same thing all the time, but mine always stays running, im almost leaning towards something with the security light becasue thta comes on with the rest of the lights but it stays on when the key is turned off....let's get this figured out
Old 11-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #3

Well it is good to know I am not the only one with this problem.... I have my truck right now in the garage I will keep you posted in detail to any changes or thoughts by them.... Most people have said check chassis grounds but when i did most seemed to be good. I too think it might be a security/ignition thing... something inside of the steering column itself going faulty. Something weird is I took the truck to chevy to get a key cut for it and they said they couldn't that it seemed like the truck didn't have a chevy ignition but it does the damn key even says it on and works perfectly. The guy i have taken the truck to does nothing but electrical work so hopefully he will be able to figure something out. I will def 100% keep you posted. ..... Let me ask you have you noticed that right before it does it your voltage gauges drops voltage?? mine will run at 14 or a lil above and right before the gauges light up the trucks voltage gauge will drop to the 1/4 mark and then mess up and do it.... Let me know if yours does something like that??
Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #4

Can you tell anything about your truck? Such as anything changed? has it been in a wreck? Anything done to it? Reason I ask is maybe if we see what both our trucks have in common we can some how start focusing on something in particular.. Such as my truck was in a front end collision and the guy that fixed it had NO clue what he was doing... And cut some short cuts it looks like everything has been gone over by 3 different mechanics at Chevy but as many have told me just because they work there doesn't mean that they are that great with anything.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #5

I'm having the same problem with a 2000 S-10. Have you found a solution yet?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:17 PM   #6

Nope still working on it.... Let me ask you the same thing can you tell me anything about your truck? Such as did it start happening out the blue or did something change and it started such as an accident or anything like? Any info could maybe help me start pinpointing where to look and such... THANKS
Old 11-18-2007, 07:06 AM   #7

Initially it started happening after the transmission was rebuilt about 2 months ago. I brought it back in and they replaced a ground wire. They stated the wire didn't look bad but they replaced it anyway. The problem went away. It started happening again after I had a bad battery replaced a few days ago. I'm scheduled to bring it back in for a 500 mile checkup on the transmission and plan to have them check out the guage/warning light problem. I will let you know what they do.

James
Old 11-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
forum idiot

well the headlights being on all the time could be a unplugged light sensor... it is in the dash speaker grill on the passanger side..
Old 11-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #9

Which ground wire was replaced? Can you describe where it was at to me? Has the truck ever been in a wreck? Hmm that is the same deal somewhat with me though they replaced my alternator then all the sudden a few weeks later the truck started doing it again.

No the light sensor is not unplugged it was replaced along with the BCM. Both all new parts and still lights run all the time.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
Solid Axle MOD

As for the headlights i think its a DRL the truck where i used to work had them ( it was a 2000 s10) just press the interior override switch 3 times and the DRL should deactivate. as for the other problem it kind of sounds like a short to me.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #11

No it is not the DRL running the trucks interior lights are running also... Trust me I have checked all this kind of little stuff. Chevy even said they are not 100% sure why they my full lights run all the time....
Old 11-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #12

i just put up a new thread tonight about the same thing happening to me. wtf? i have the passlock bypassed on mine for the remote start and hte security light stays on also. so i'm leaning towards that. i just bought a duramax for a daily but i want to get this figured out
Old 11-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #13

by the way. its an 03 4.3 ext cab automatic
Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #14

Hi, new to the fourm. My 98 has the same problem but today when the guages died it quit running and has not cranked since, when I turn the key on none of the guages work, no check engine light seat belt light etc. comes on. Engine cranks over but won't start.
Thanks for any help.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:14 AM   #15

Hey Jake62 welcome to the forums......Well man I wish we had some good news for you but it seems there is a lot people with this problem and not one of us with an answer. I know that doesn't give you any comfort. I wish I had the answer for you man. Only thing I can tell you is to try to disconnect the battery and leave it off for 15mins and then plug back in and see if that does anything. Question do you ever have trouble with your trucks key such as having troubles removing the key from the ignition or trouble getting the key to turn? My truck alot of the times does have trouble now turning over I have to crank it a few times sometimes to get it to crank over then when it does it will shot out smoke from the muffler.

Last edited by Fate0N3; 11-30-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #16

Thanks, mine fixed now. The problem was a bad ignition switch.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #17

Thanks Jake62 so the truck is working perfect now? No problems or anything? Were you able to change the switch yourself? Man i am glad to hear you figured it out..... I am going to go and purchase a new ignition switch tomm once you respond.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #18

Yes it is 100% fixed, it's the switch not the key cylinder. Remove the cover from the steering column and try shaking the wires going into the switch and watch the gauges. I replaced it myself, I got mine from the dealer for $75.00, but I see Autozone has it listed for $68.00
Hope this helps, Larry "JAKE62"
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #19

Thanks again man for the help... So it is this part???
http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm
I went to pick up the ignition switch but at advanced they kept pulling up the key cylinder with new keys. How hard was it? About how long did it take you to do it? THanks again man and sorry for the many questions bro.... I am looking at Auto Zone and Adv Auto Parts both have the AC Delco one but they have different parts numbers hmmmm.....
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=410&PTSet=A
Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #20

Sorry, that was Advanced auto parts ACDelco part # D1413D
Old 12-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #21

Yes those are the correct parts you have pictured, its not too bad the hardest part removing all the covers to get to the switch, there is a hole on each side of the switch, push in with a small srewdriver to unlatch the switch and pull it from the housing and you may break the small white conector getting it out of the key cylinder. It may take an hour or two.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #22

Thanks a lot again Larry I will be going to Advanced in the morning bright and earlier and ordering it. Thanks for the quick how to on it too man you don't know how much I appreciate your help.... Do i need remove the top and bottom cover on the steering column? I am glad I was going to order the key cylinder today but I wanted to make sure this def saves me some money the cylinder through Advanced was $100.14
Old 12-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #23

Yes you need to remove both covers, there is a inverted torx (star Head) screw on the right side of the top cover that's easy to miss I broke mine taking it off, I'll know next time.
Good luck, Larry
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #24

i have the same problems listed as above, im going to check my switch too. My truck is a 98 Sonoma 2.2 5 speed
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #25

Welp my part will be in today after 5pm EST. So now I have my weekend project lol....
Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 PM   #26

Well guys I had the part installed at the dealership about a week and half ago so far so go no mess up or anything guys. I think we all might have figured out the problem. Try it out guys and let me know what you alls experience is with it so far like i said NO Problems i am NOT saying it is fixed yet don't want to jinx myself lol..... I will say it hasn't at all messed up.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #27

so you replaced the ignitionswitch ?
Old 12-28-2007, 12:19 AM   #28

Yep changed out the ignition switch not the lock cylinder but the actual switch. Like i said so far so good the truck has ran a lot better. I am not 100% it is fixed but has def not messed up in the almost 2 weeks it has been fixed which it use to messed up daily more then once.

Last edited by Fate0N3; 12-28-2007 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Adding more
Old 12-28-2007, 01:28 AM   #29

Most of the time its caused by the cluster having been removed a few times. Alot of inexperience can lead to being a bit rough with it and not unplugging it correctly.
The plug receptacle on the top (white plastic) is held to the circuit board by some simple pegs. Its not very secure. The pins inside the receptacle are soldered to the board after they make a 90* turn down. The solder joints become cracked.
Remove the cluster, then remove the black circuit board backing cover. It just clips on.
Then you will see the 24 pins that attach to the circuit board.
Do they look like this ? :
Old 12-28-2007, 01:30 AM   #30

You can use a hot solder iron and heat the pin near the board until the solder re-melts to the connection or add more solder. Also find a fix for the orig problem. Get some support for the receptacle so this doesnt jar loose again.
Hope this helps
Old 01-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #31

Quote: Originally Posted by Fate0N3
Yep changed out the ignition switch not the lock cylinder but the actual switch. Like i said so far so good the truck has ran a lot better. I am not 100% it is fixed but has def not messed up in the almost 2 weeks it has been fixed which it use to messed up daily more then once.
is your truck still running good ?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #32

Yep so far so good it has been a little over 3 weeks right now it is tore apart getting the LT1 swapped in and trying to sell the 2.2 that was in it.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #33

Quote: Originally Posted by Mikz86TA
You can use a hot solder iron and heat the pin near the board until the solder re-melts to the connection or add more solder. Also find a fix for the orig problem. Get some support for the receptacle so this doesnt jar loose again.
Hope this helps
Could this also be the cause of the mileage LED's and the PRND21 indicator from turning on, mine (98 Blazer) was intermittent then began to get worse, then i had to bang on the dash, then only came on when the tempurature was 32 or below but when the truck warmed up they would go out again, now nothing. I figured it was a solder connection or loose wire somewhere and my inspection sticker is out next month just didn't know where to start looking.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:19 AM   #34

Are the gauges just not working once the truck warms up or when they intermittently mess up does the truck run differently such as jerking or anything like that?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #35

Quote: Originally Posted by Fate0N3
Are the gauges just not working once the truck warms up or when they intermittently mess up does the truck run differently such as jerking or anything like that?
No they don't work at all now (my luck probably because the inspection is due) haven't noticed the truck running differently. Only other thing that happens is 1 out of 20 or 30 times I go to start the truck and it feels like it lundges forward, not much, but enough to make you say holy cow.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 AM   #36

I would pull the gauge bezel off and check the gauge connections and make sure they are good. You can pick a gauge up cheap they are all the time on here. If you need one post up in the WTB section in the classifieds you can find them pretty easy on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.