what to take off roading - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

what to take off roading

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

what to take off roading

Hey everyone, I'm looking to start getting into off roading.. for everyone that does I am wondering if you could help me out. What all should I be bringing with me on the trail? What tools, what spare parts etc..

Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Potato

User is: OffLine
Re: what to take off roading

I have an old military duffle bag I keep all my off-road gear in.
In mine I have:
- Duct tape and electrical tape
- Tow straps
- A good hatchet
- A chain (Just for back up)
- A first aid kit
- Small compressor that plugs into my cigarette lighter
- Folding shovel
- Small gas jug (With gas in it obviously lol)
- A jug of water
- Small fire extinguisher
- Tire plug kit
- Bright flashlight with extra batteries

And then there's a few other random things, In the pockets on the back of my seats and in the 3rd door I keep some tools, stuff like pliers, assorted screw drivers, a small socket set, I keep a couple 2x4s in the box, a bag of sand can come in handy too, I always have a knife clipped on my belt regardless of where I am and I cannot tell you how many times that things come in handy off-roading. Also make sure you have a spare tire and that it's not flat. If you're going by yourself it'd be a good idea to invest in a winch or at the very least a cheap come-along.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
It really is a POS!

Can't forget the ole starting fluid in case you get a tire off the bead.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Potato

Yeah that's a good idea too, I've done it a few times and it really comes in handy on the trails as long as you know what you're doing.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Tech Mod

A high lift jack is a must IMO.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Vandelay Industries

User is: Online

You didn't mention how far in you are going. On any trail no matter short or long I would take a compass, (old fashioned compass that doesnt need battery or elec to operate) GPS, paper map of trail you are on. Also a battery jump box, more food and water than you need.

If I was to go deep enough I knew I would not be able to walk back before it got dark out, jerry can of gas , jerry can of potable water, a way to produce fire (matches, lighter,flint stone etc) sleeping bag(s), a tent etc, something to boil water in. Some may call it over kill but If the worse happens, there aint no walmart in the woods.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Better post-em.

Quote: Originally Posted by cruisinlows10
You didn't mention how far in you are going. On any trail no matter short or long I would take a compass, (old fashioned compass that doesnt need battery or elec to operate) GPS, paper map of trail you are on. Also a battery jump box, more food and water than you need.

If I was to go deep enough I knew I would not be able to walk back before it got dark out, jerry can of gas , jerry can of potable water, a way to produce fire (matches, lighter,flint stone etc) sleeping bag(s), a tent etc, something to boil water in. Some may call it over kill but If the worse happens, there aint no walmart in the woods.
yes very good plan. also the very best thing to do is tell a close friend or family member when and where youll be going incase they need to find you if you dont return. cell phones dont work everywhere.

at the basic at least bring a hatchet and kitchen matches and know how to start a fire if needed. throw a pack of water in the back and food. better to be over prepared than under.

most of all dont get cocky. if you dont feel comfortable doing something dont do it! might be wise to go out with someone who is experienced that does it smart to learn angle approaches, what things to look out for etc.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Yes, they're all mine

Beer!!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Potato

^^^^^ Most important thing
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #10

As far as parts what do you guys bring?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Electrical Mod

Depends, are you talking about offroading in a small park, or large desolate area? What type of offroading are you doing? Trails, rocks, mud, sand, etc..... You need to give us more information before we can help you. Normally I don't take much other than recovery equipment, but I just go to a local off road park, so not too much to get lost in, cell phone reception is good and I always go with a buddy.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
I just cummed.

I wouldn't go wheeling without 2 spare tires, man.

Where I go it's beyond third world...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Resident Cameraman

one thing i found that comes in handy is a pry bar for when the shackles get bent up a bit or anything else.I kept one locked down in my wrangler.as well as a socket set,zip ties,duct tape,ratchet straps,and a cooler of beer
Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
It really is a POS!

Don't forget a tarp, screw laying in the mud/dirt and losing parts if you gotta fix something.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #15
Professional Insultant

Two vehicles.

I go alone a lot for some mild trips in the mountains and all the things listed sound good, but when I plan to really challenge my truck especially at long distances from home I'd want two rigs, to pull each other out- or if there is mechanical failure you still have a ride out.

There are a couple times I've gotten stuck in the mountains alone and had to walk into cell phone range to call a friend, but still more times friends have called me to come bail them out.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
s-series #2?

i like to bring someone who is better at wheeling than me with a more capable truck.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #17

I have drove to and from many trails in the US except johnson valley. Everything listed is good to have, But a second rig is hands down the most important. To anchor too, To pull you out, Or if you break and cant limp to the trail head.

Walk back toward where you came, as mentioned let people know where you will be and walk toward them not venture down the trail and get lost. Follow your tire marks and tell them your plan too before you go.

As mentioned, HI-Lift jack. You can use it for many things.

Winch, If all else fails, You can winch 50ft at a time to get your rig in a better position to work on or get to for a tow. First-aid kit helps too.

All fluids your rig takes, Somthing to catch all the fluids that will dump on the trail. Tool wise i carry a 150 piece tool set, Dead blow hammer, BFH, Couple pry bars and WD40.

A case of water and power bars/snickers. Warm coat or another outfit incase you get wet. Good shoes or boots for traction.
Any spare parts you have or material that you can make "that" part to get off the trail. A handheld CB for walking out dont hurt either, Cell dont always work, But channel 19 will have ears and can send you help.

Theres much more, But if you wheel with friends, You carry this, They carry that and everything is there incase. A TRASH BAG, It might not be your trash on the trail, But pick it up from all the ass hats that left it, They are the reason why trails are getting closed. Pack it in, Pack it out.

Safety, If you, Your rig, Spotter etc dont know where you are and what to do, Somebody is going to get hurt. If you have a wire winch line, Two golf balls in a tube sock slung around the cable will drop it dead if snapped.

Gun, Either my sawed off mossy 500 or my 9mm. You never know whats out there. Could be an anaimal or a group of shake and bake meth heads. But this is a somthing i do, Might not be for all, But i feel safer with a firearm and dont let it be known you have one until you NEED it.

Good luck and be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.