Using license plates from another vehicle to transport a new vehicle? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Using license plates from another vehicle to transport a new vehicle?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Gaaoooooo

User is: OffLine
Using license plates from another vehicle to transport a new vehicle?

I am buying a used car and I was told by the seller that in Massachusetts you are allowed to use plates from a current vehicle you are selling (even though I'm not actually selling the car) for a 3 or 7 day grace period to transport a new vehicle...does anyone know if this is actually true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Trust Me

Re: Using license plates from another vehicle to transport a new vehicle?

It may be. I've driven vehicles from Florida(twice), Oklahoma, Indiana, Inllinois & Missouri(several times) all to Minnesota with no plates, I got pulled over once, I showed him the title & bill of sale, and he said ok, have a nice day.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Gaaoooooo

Haha ya I mean I'll have the title for the vehicle as well as the plates/registration from my current car on me, not planning on getting pulled over but would like to minimize the risk. Insurance is required in Mass and they don't do temp plates, pretty big pain in the ass.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Trust Me

I always notify my insurance agent 24hours prior to purchasing a vehicle, especially if driving it from state to state, and I just bring my Insurance card and keep it in the glove box. I've personally never put plates on from another vehicle though, so I'm not much help, just saying what has worked for me
Old 03-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
405AWDHP

I'd rather go no plates than false plates.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Token Ranger Guy

Getting pulled over with a false license plate, even with bill of sale, insurance, ect stuff, would probably get you in trouble...Griff sounds like he got lucky...
Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Gaaoooooo

I found the Massachusetts law on the grace period the guy is talking about, what I am concerned about is the insurance aspect of it ie. I hit someone or injure someone while driving it:

If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from a dealer or purchase a used vehicle or trailer from a private party, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven (7) calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.

Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:

* You must be at least 18 years old.
* The newly acquired vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous vehicle or trailer.
* You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle.
* You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle.
* The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #8

go ghetto stick cardboard back there with tag applied for on it :P
Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by MasterSadon
go ghetto stick cardboard back there with tag applied for on it :P
lol nice idea!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Trust Me

Quote: Originally Posted by -YumYum97s10-
Getting pulled over with a false license plate, even with bill of sale, insurance, ect stuff, would probably get you in trouble...Griff sounds like he got lucky...
I didn't have plates on the cars I was talking about. But if I was to, I would have used plates that I own, not someone elses.

Last edited by The Griff; 03-15-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Atlanta Braves FTMFW!

Quote: Originally Posted by Draggin88
I'd rather go no plates than false plates.
this! ive been told by friends who are police officers, and they said that youd get in more trouble with a plate that doesnt match your car then you would no plate at all.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Home is where you make it

Quote: Originally Posted by v8lonoma
this! ive been told by friends who are police officers, and they said that youd get in more trouble with a plate that doesnt match your car then you would no plate at all.
Agreed.

Though it’s more of a RED Flag not having any plates but for me stating the situation and showing them your paper work you have you will more than likely be let go with a warning if anything. Depending if hes trying to be a jerk or not.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Token Ranger Guy

Quote: Originally Posted by The Griff
I didn't have plates on the cars I was talking about. But if I was to, I would have used plates that I own, not someone elses.
Oh, I know..I was saying you were lucky not to get in trouble driving without plates...if it was me, I would do the piece of cardboard "Tags Applied For".
Old 03-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Gaaoooooo

I think I'll go with at least the legit plates that are in my name with proof of sale as well as registration from my current car. Only planning on doing this just to transport the car and park it before I actually register it on it's own.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
Extended cab or no cab.

User is: Online

How far will you be driving the car?

I, like Jake, have also driven a vehicle to MN from out of state with no plates. I didnt get pulled over but had all of the documents in case I was. That was a 10 hour trip.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
Gaaoooooo

About 80 miles or so and it will be at night.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #17

qft. plus the officer is going to try his hardest to see if its stolen he sure would hate to let a stolen vehicle go.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #18
Blue Bowtie

just call your ins. co. and get it insured...i wouldnt be too worried about the license.

When I bought my truck (in Missouri) i was able to use my insurance card from my cavalier as proof of insurance to get it titled and licensed
Old 03-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
This is doo doo baby!

I know in ga you have 30 days to get it registered, as long as you have the bill of sale your good
running not matching plates is a bad idea and you'd be much better off running none
Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by Zblue8
just call your ins. co. and get it insured...i wouldnt be too worried about the license.

When I bought my truck (in Missouri) i was able to use my insurance card from my cavalier as proof of insurance to get it titled and licensed
It's a real pain in the ass in Massachusetts, you cannot even register a vehicle without going through an insurance company. It is allowed to use plates from another vehicle in your name if you are getting rid of that vehicle and transferring the registration to the new vehicle...just I am not technically doing that. I think I am going to make it easier on myself and just register and insure it the legit way from the start, I hadn't planned on driving the car until it was a little nicer out but it's going to end up happening in the next month or so anyways so just getting it over with is probably the safest and best approach.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #21
s10 addict

like a couple others said....Id rather get caught running no plates than fictious plates. just make sure you have the bill of sale and title with you.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #22

Quote: Originally Posted by sonomanator
qft. plus the officer is going to try his hardest to see if its stolen he sure would hate to let a stolen vehicle go.

Maybe your states work differently.

I've done it a bunch of times in MA. Just carry the bill of sale, title, and the registration from your plates, and you'll be fine. you do NOT want to drive it with NO plates. I had a friend that did this to go 3 miles from his house to shop and he got totally screwed. Obviously if the plates are registered, you have some sort of insurance. Just be sure your registration is up to date. Even if you don't carry it with you, they'll look it up in the computer. Having the paperwork for the car is more important.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #23
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by rocknthehawk

Maybe your states work differently.

I've done it a bunch of times in MA. Just carry the bill of sale, title, and the registration from your plates, and you'll be fine. you do NOT want to drive it with NO plates. I had a friend that did this to go 3 miles from his house to shop and he got totally screwed. Obviously if the plates are registered, you have some sort of insurance. Just be sure your registration is up to date. Even if you don't carry it with you, they'll look it up in the computer. Having the paperwork for the car is more important.
Haha yes I've been getting a good chuckle every time someone says to run no plates, you'd be pulled over within 2 miles around the Boston area like that!

So you've done this without actually selling the car the plates are off of or what? I'm probably just being overly paranoid about it but god forbid if I did get in some sort of accident and injured myself or someone else and then found out I wasn't covered I'd be screwed big time.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #24

just take your insurance card with u.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #25
Rarely goes over 20mph

just carry any and all paperwork from the bill of sale, get insurance on it before you drive it. i notify my insurance as soon as i start to talk money about buying it.

had a friend buy a car from minneapolis area, drove it around town in iowa for over a week, no problems, drives up to mankato minnesota, and gets pulled over, cop IMPOUNDS his car for not having plates, but has the temporary registration, bill of sale, title, just no plates. had to go to court and pay $150 to get the car out.

apparently the laws are diffrent in other states and you can get screwed over for not having plates.

where i live, as long as you have the bill of sale, and insurance on it, your ok, but if its after 30 days from when you bought the vehicle, then you can get fined for that
Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #26

Mint your best bet would be to just register it and do it all legit. Regardless of what kind of paperwork showing that it is insured or what not, if they registration is ran and it comes back active on another vehicle that you still have possession of, you are still technically illegally attaching plates.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #27

When I bought my truck I got pulled over on the way home. I didnt have the tag transferred yet nor the insurance. I showed the deputy the title that was dated and signed by the seller. He told me that I should have transferred everything over prior to relocating the truck.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #28

Quote: Originally Posted by MINTSICK
Haha yes I've been getting a good chuckle every time someone says to run no plates, you'd be pulled over within 2 miles around the Boston area like that!

So you've done this without actually selling the car the plates are off of or what? I'm probably just being overly paranoid about it but god forbid if I did get in some sort of accident and injured myself or someone else and then found out I wasn't covered I'd be screwed big time.
Yep. 3 times...when i bought my '90 ranger and drove halfway home from CT, when i bought my '92 ranger, and when I bought my 350z. You're being overly paranoid. I can't find where it's written, but there's a grace period. Obviously if you have plates, you have insurance. Have the paperwork with you, and you'll be fine. Make sure the registration for the plates is current. If for some reason you did get stopped, show them the paperwork, and explain you bought it and haven't swapped the plates yet.

TO ALL THE MOTHERFUKCERS TELLING HIM NO:

I got stopped 4 days after buying my car, with the plates from my truck on it. BY A STATE TROOPER (you mass guys know how strict they are). I showed him the title, bill of sale, and the registration for my plates. He told me to make sure i get the car registered. He stopped me because of the NH inspection sticker and mass plates. When I explained I just bought it, he asked for the paperwork. Went back to his car, said everything was all set, said thank you and drove off.

Massachusetts also does NOT have insurance cards. To get plates, your vehicle has to be registered and insured.

Last edited by rocknthehawk; 03-15-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #29
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

I've personally driven two vehicles with other vehicle's plates. We of course owned the cars that the plates were registered to, but we did drive them quite a distance. That is IL though, and we did also carry the insurance card from the donor plate's vehicle
Old 03-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #30
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by rocknthehawk
Yep. 3 times...when i bought my '90 ranger and drove halfway home from CT, when i bought my '92 ranger, and when I bought my 350z. You're being overly paranoid. I can't find where it's written, but there's a grace period. Obviously if you have plates, you have insurance. Have the paperwork with you, and you'll be fine. Make sure the registration for the plates is current. If for some reason you did get stopped, show them the paperwork, and explain you bought it and haven't swapped the plates yet.

TO ALL THE MOTHERFUKCERS TELLING HIM NO:

I got stopped 4 days after buying my car, with the plates from my truck on it. BY A STATE TROOPER (you mass guys know how strict they are). I showed him the title, bill of sale, and the registration for my plates. He told me to make sure i get the car registered. He stopped me because of the NH inspection sticker and mass plates. When I explained I just bought it, he asked for the paperwork. Went back to his car, said everything was all set, said thank you and drove off.

Massachusetts also does NOT have insurance cards. To get plates, your vehicle has to be registered and insured.
Ya I know I probably am I just don't want to deal with any bullshit when I can just take a little extra time tomorrow and go grab plates for it before I actually pick the car up. If I didn't plan on registering it soon anyways I'd probably slap the plates from my Maxima on it and then park it. And yes most people here are not understanding how much of a pain Massachusetts makes it to just register a vehicle.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #31
Better post-em.

Quote: Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
I've personally driven two vehicles with other vehicle's plates. We of course owned the cars that the plates were registered to, but we did drive them quite a distance. That is IL though, and we did also carry the insurance card from the donor plate's vehicle
yea weve done that before too (Illinois here too)

i dont think the cops would care (least i know in this state) as long as the plates you have on it are registered to you (or a parent) and have the bill of sale/title with you.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
Gaaoooooo

I ended up just registering and insuring it properly, needless to say there were no issues lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.