u haul, so expensive - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

u haul, so expensive

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
Suck Me Sideways

User is: OffLine
u haul, so expensive

why the hell is it so expensive. i went to try and get a van and they told me 29.95 just to rent it then 79c a mile. i thought people used them to move, but for me to go from orlando to ft myers is like 200 dollars, so how do people go far. just wondering if theres anything else i can do for cheap. i need to haul something and need it on a trailer or flatbed truck. is there anywhere i can go for cheaper
Old 06-28-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
-------------------------

Re: u haul, so expensive

Damn thats expensive. I'm moving at the end of July. So I might need a few suggestions too.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #3
I farted, crap came out!

No, thats the cheapest, but try ryder or van lines just for kicks....

I did the math its actually cheaper to have people come move you. Like "2 men and a truck" will move my 2 bedroom condo for 200 bucks.........

me and friends moving with a uhual is about 150 bucks, plus aching back and having to spend all day doing it. Cheaper to pay someone to do if you add in the price of your time.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #4
Send out for YOU

are you kidding dude, thats a great price, i work at the uhaul in NY and its 19.95 for 8hrs then another 1.59 per mile sun-thurs, and 2.99 fri and sat, plus insurance if u want to take it, so those prices are amazing for ppl around here to see.!
Old 06-28-2004, 12:38 PM   #5

damn, i wonder how much it is for a trailor to take from NH to OH cause that is what i am doing in sept.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
Suck Me Sideways

just a trailer is 49.95 its got sides and stuff. but i just dont have someone with a hitch. i know a couple people but things just keep goin wrong.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:42 PM   #7
I'm probably drunk.

cost us about a grand to move from buffalo, ny to atlanta, ga

its about 900 miles
Old 06-28-2004, 02:51 PM   #8

I saw a report on NBC a long time ago and U-Haul is not the cheapest way to go on a long haul.
I would call Ryder or any other company and get a price quote.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:22 PM   #9
Send out for YOU

they are pretty decent, for one way moves it usually cheaper only because they you a flat rate of miles and days, so say from ny to florida they give u 6days and 1134 miles(just for argument sake) and if you go over the miles allowed its only 40cents after that so it isnt too too bad but check around
Old 06-28-2004, 04:19 PM   #10

Uhaul is ok for in town, one day moves. They stick it up your ass and break it off on moves out of town. Ryder, Penske etc are much better choices for out of town moves plus their equipment is usually much newer and nicer. Uhaul should change their name to Ghetto moving inc.

Steve
Old 06-28-2004, 04:22 PM   #11
Captain Obvious

Quote: Originally Posted by SteveI
Uhaul is ok for in town, one day moves. They stick it up your ass and break it off on moves out of town. Ryder, Penske etc are much better choices for out of town moves plus their equipment is usually much newer and nicer. Uhaul should change their name to Ghetto moving inc.

Steve
Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #12

i want to move my truck from va to ca and my motorcyle 4 foot tall gang box and maybe a dresser any ideas on this. a car hauler wants 900 bucks to do it
Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #13

and yes i know old thread but thats what the search button is for
Old 12-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #14
Hoods are overrated

gotta pay to play man, these companies have high $ insurance policies to cover all their equipment and anything stupid somebody using it does
Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #15

so will they be cool with a airride truck being moved?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:10 AM   #16
I just cummed.

Quote: Originally Posted by sadexcuse4s10
gotta pay to play man
I was seriously going to say this.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 AM   #17
I just cummed.

Quote: Originally Posted by jwillie000
so will they be cool with a airride truck being moved?
What's the difference between a regular truck? (besides the air ride. it's still a truck)
Old 12-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #18

I was reading a thread over at a gun forum and the author there
said he got a ticket for parking a U Haul somewhere, but there
was person in it ready to move it if ness. The cop came and saw
the person who told him she'd move right away and the cop said
ok, but the renter STILL got a ticket and fine added on to his bill
by U Haul. I guess U Haul's policy is to just pay the fine and add
it on to the renters bill...
Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
Hoods are overrated

that's why i don't live in the city
Old 12-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #20
Slowly but eventually

Its sad when its cheaper and less hassle to have an in town tow instead of renting a car dolly. I had the fuel pump go out in my Jimmy and I needed to get it to the shop, so was going to rent a car dolly. They wanted 45 bucks plus deposit(which is normal) and I was going to have to figure out how to push the Jimmy on it and all. I called a wrecker, for 40 bucks they showed up, did the work for me. I find that really really strange.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #21
Rarely goes over 20mph

u-haul sucks in general.

my truck's airtank broke th emounts and ripped wires out, long story short the truck was stuck almost laid out, 2 hours from home, with friends in the truck, and no air pressure or way to air it up...
got a ride back to home from a friend that lives there, and had to rent a dolly to tow it back home.

we searched and only one place had a dolley.. every other place you had to rent their BIG trucks to get a trailer.. wouldve been $250+ miles= 400 or so miles.

we ended up getting the dolley for $80, an hour of doing paperwork and bullshitting.. apparently a chevy 2500 pickup cant tow anything bigger than a geo metro.. so we had to lie and say it was a 1950s truck cab.. had to drive to the dge of town to get the dolley, which had FLAT tires, everything was rusted and took 30 minutes to get the trailer to hook up to the ball hitch.

it wasnt locked up with a key or anything, so it wouldve saved us the 2 hours paperwork hassle to just go hook up to it, and borrow the damn dolley and return it without paying for it, it was on the edge of town at a storage place with no security or anything!

ive disliked u-haul's services since then..
Old 12-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #22

Quote: Originally Posted by beaniebmx
u-haul sucks in general.

my truck's airtank broke th emounts and ripped wires out, long story short the truck was stuck almost laid out, 2 hours from home, with friends in the truck, and no air pressure or way to air it up...
got a ride back to home from a friend that lives there, and had to rent a dolly to tow it back home.

we searched and only one place had a dolley.. every other place you had to rent their BIG trucks to get a trailer.. wouldve been $250+ miles= 400 or so miles.

we ended up getting the dolley for $80, an hour of doing paperwork and bullshitting.. apparently a chevy 2500 pickup cant tow anything bigger than a geo metro.. so we had to lie and say it was a 1950s truck cab.. had to drive to the dge of town to get the dolley, which had FLAT tires, everything was rusted and took 30 minutes to get the trailer to hook up to the ball hitch.

it wasnt locked up with a key or anything, so it wouldve saved us the 2 hours paperwork hassle to just go hook up to it, and borrow the damn dolley and return it without paying for it, it was on the edge of town at a storage place with no security or anything!

ive disliked u-haul's services since then..
X2^^^^^^same thing happened to me.I was in my dad's x-cab gmc1500 trying to rent a dolly to tow a dodge caravan 5hrs away.They wouldn't rent it because they said the gmc didn't have a large enough tow capacity. left there pissed got on the interstate to go to another u-haul place,and came up on a ford ranger towing a tahoe! I took a picture and sent it to their home office.I now own my own tow dolly.....
Old 12-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #23
Rarely goes over 20mph

yeah.. and the sad part is, thier tow dollys dont even have brakes.... the one we rented just had the brake light hookup.. its like.. ok so a big fullsize with towing package, cant tow a little s10.. ok well then uhh were towing a rusty cab "oh ok yeah itll tow that" truck had NO problem towing it 2 hrs....
Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #24

I used a 03 std cab 2500 to tow a flatbed car trailer with a shortwide on it. I had to tell the guy it was a small car also. The trailer pulled very well surprisingly. Was only like $45 or so to use it for the day. And factor in that I was also test driving the truck we used to tow and the lot had it gassed up. Was pretty cheap.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #25
O'Reilly R.S.S

Lookup the reviews from jobvent.com and you will find out way more than you want to know about u-haul. also pissed consumer.com has some pretty bad reviews of u-hauls service and equipment.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #26

I would love to have one of their car trailers, theyre hella nice, all aluminum with pull out ramps and what not. But other than that they suck and are overpriced.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #27
I Rather Be Wheelin'

U-Haul does suck... Just save yourself the hassle of dealing with them and buy one, I did

Old 12-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #28
Now owns an S-10

They are expensive, cost me 76 bucks to rent a trailer or go pick up an s-10. Drove 2 hours to Buffalo and 2 hours back, and they had to charge me for a whole day...kinda retarded if you ask me.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
Don't Cry

I just moved using U-haul box truck and trailer, penske was 300.00 cheaper i printed the quote and uhaul beat it by 100.00 it cost me 900.00 with trailer unlimited mileage from Indiana to california 2400 miles
Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #30
A.Y.C.E.

Screw Uhaul, clear back in 98 I needed to haul my LUV back to Wyoming and get my 39 chevy and bring it to Denver, we had all the paper work done as I said I was hauling a LUV and then mentioned I was hauling my 39 chevy back. The guy got a look on his face and said "Just a minute" he went into the office and then came back and said he couldnt rent me the trailer as the 39 Chevy was too heavy for thier trailer. So if you look at the pic you can see where I went and had no problems.

A few years ago when I moved back to Wyoming I was at UHaul getting a box truck and they were pissing off a guy with a Nissan saying his hitch wasnt a class 5 to tow on of thier little enclosed trailers, so he did a nice burnout out of the parking lot.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #31
Budget Ballin FTS!

Am I the only one that was expecting the 1st post to say

"u haul, so expensive
", a cave man can do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.